Home
Posted By: Fotis Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/02/19
Not necessarily in this caliber but I do want one !!! Comes in 264 300 7mm rem mag 270 30-06. I either got the calibers or just like them (7mm bee 300 bee 6.5 bee etc)
It comes in 243 and 308 but these are non players

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830717409
Man that looks good. I would take just about anything with a maple stock like that. Fine looking rifle.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/02/19
Now if it was available in 375 H&H........
Same reason I HAD to have a BSA Martini International MKIII... It's a looney thing.
I had one in 270. It had a vey nice piece of maple, and I think I sold it for about $1100.

I just couldn't like the light wood (once I had it).

Take a look at the dark maple featherweights too.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/03/19
accurate?????
Posted By: shootem Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/03/19
Checkering is hideous. Is that the best can be done on such a piece of wood and call it Super Grade?
Originally Posted by shootem
Checkering is hideous. Is that the best can be done on such a piece of wood and call it Super Grade?

Got that right. Fuggly to my eye.
Originally Posted by Fotis
accurate?????

Sorry, I cannot say. I sold it unfired.

My history with M70's is pretty good though, regarding accuracy.

I was taken by the retro look, but once it was delivered I just didn't like it as much. It was a beautiful rifle. Maybe something else just caught my eye?
Different strokes I guess and I don't blame you. People go nuts for the Ruger boatpaddles. If I was given one (because I would never buy one) I would sell the stock in a heartbeat. Same thing with my WBY Lazermark. I adore mine some people hate them.
Yes. Just preferences.

I always figured I was the only one that has to like my rifle.

BTW, I like Lazermarks smile
Different strokes I guess and I don't blame you. People go nuts for the Ruger boatpaddles. If I was given one (because I would never buy one) I would sell the stock in a heartbeat. Same thing with my WBY Lazermark. I adore mine some people hate them.

I like boat paddles but wouldn't give a penny more for it than I would a standard synthetic on later SS Mark II 77s. Same goes for Remington 11-87 & 870 with original Mossy Oak Bottomland camo. Shops I frequent won't give any more for these on trade either.

I do like maple stocked rifles too. Wish there were other makers and models that stocked with maple.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/03/19
Not for a second, not my thing. I know two guys that own them, both have 06,s and both shoot excellent.
Jack O'Connor called darkening the checkering on light-colored stocks like that a "dreary idea".

Old Jack was right. Since everybody does it like that, the only way to prove it is to go custom or refinish.

Just one old fart's opinion, but checkering should allow the wood grain to show through the diamonds. Put that Sharpie down.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I had one in 270. It had a vey nice piece of maple, and I think I sold it for about $1100.

I just couldn't like the light wood (once I had it).

Take a look at the dark maple featherweights too.

I've seen a few of those (pics). Very nice.
Posted By: viking Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/03/19
I saw a nice M70 264 down in Glendive yesterday, $1094 (non maple).
Fotis,

With all due respect , that is one fugly impractical rifle that is only suited for safe queen status. My idea of perfection in a factory rifle is a weatherby classicmark.
I think that there are a couple of them NIB in the Gun Library at the Cabela\s in LaVista, NE.
I'm with Fotis - I think maple stock rifles are beautiful, and it doesn't get much better than a maple stocked M70 Supergrade. Icing on the cake is the .264WM chambering. I've toyed with pulling the trigger on one for a while, but just got too many other rifle projects going on right now.

If I wanted "practical," I'd be buying all my meat in the grocery store.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Yes. Just preferences.

I always figured I was the only one that has to like my rifle.

This.

Maple gives me "chills and fever" in the words of JOC.

In the end it's your folding money, spend it as you will.
Posted By: SKane Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/03/19
Not my jam but you only have to please you.
"Why do I sooooo want this?"

You are afflicted with a common disease.

Never owned a Winny but those look nice.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/03/19
Not necessarily in this caliber but I do want one !!! Comes in 264 300 7mm rem mag 270 30-06. I either got the calibers or just like them (7mm bee 300 bee 6.5 bee etc)

I'll offer you a suggestion. Find yourself a nice New Haven M70 in the long-action chambering of your choice and then wait for CDNN or some other outfit to have some of the left-over maple stocks. I say long action because almost all of the short-action New Haven rifles were Fwt contour bbl. There were a very few short action sporters thrown together just before they shut down in New Haven. New Haven only had long-action SuperGrades if you're looking to swap like-for-like into the maple stock. You'll also need either a newer 1-piece bottom-metal set or the plastic adapter for the older style 2-piece bottom metal.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Fotis,

With all due respect , that is one fugly impractical rifle that is only suited for safe queen status. My idea of perfection in a factory rifle is a weatherby classicmark.

Yup
I have a ClassicMark 1 in 460 bee and a ClassicMark 2 in 416 bee. Love them
Maple stocked rifles have alot of potential, to me anyway. The thing I don't like is generally they're finished to look like the floor of a basketball court, and the checkering looks like its been done with a wood burner. Much better would be some of the darker finishes seen on traditional muzzleloaders.
AMEN!

................................Imo, very distinctive and would make for a good conversation piece.......Some I read do not like the dark checkering. Well I can understand that maybe a little. Also some might regard this rifle as strictly a range and safe queen.

However from what I understand, the wood on the super grade maple is heat treated in some fashion making it very dense. A process whereby it makes the wood less likely to chip and be much more weather resistant to the elements as well. A wood treatment that makes the stock more durable.

If that be the case and if ever inclined to own the super grade maple, I would not necessarily classify this rifle as strictly a safe queen.

Two classic chamberings in this rifle; 30-06 and 300 Win.
On the Winchester site, I also see the AAA French walnut super grade for a few hundred $$$$ more.....................That one looks pretty damn good too.
Posted By: Judman Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/03/19
Probably because it's sexy as hell, and comes in a cool caliber... (264)
Originally Posted by Judman
Probably because it's sexy as hell, and comes in a cool caliber... (264)
.................Yep! Sexy and unique......264 Win I will also add in too.
Buy it and hunt the piss out of it! I have a thing for maple stocks too.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/04/19
Fotis, I have no idea why you want one...but as they say Different strokes..

DVDGeorge has one in .270...a proven shooter and he loves it....so there you go.

Ive got a Ruger #1-A which many folks consider to be as ugly as a mud fence...so there you go.

Like the old joke.." Who you gonna please with THAT thing?".............ME! laugh
Posted By: Fotis Re: Why do I sooooo want this? - 11/04/19
Lol man
Maple's for wood stoves. smile
© 24hourcampfire