Home
Posted By: KU_Geo 7mm Rem mag options - 11/10/19
Looking to potentially pick up a mid weight 7mm Rem mag. I’ve got several tikka and like them a lot so am considering picking one up and dropping it in a mess altitude stock. But Also considering browning x bolt and Christensen mesa. Mesa seems like a lot of rifle for the money, so really just looking for feedback on anyone that has had a tikka and then xbolt or mesa
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/10/19
Originally Posted by KU_Geo
Looking to potentially pick up a mid weight 7mm Rem mag. I’ve got several tikka and like them a lot so am considering picking one up and dropping it in a mess altitude stock. But I Waldo co side of the x bolt and Christensen mesa. Mesa seems like a lot of rifle for the money, so really just looking for feedback on anyone that has had a tikka and then xbolt or mesa

I Waldo co side of the Mesa too.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/10/19
I don’t Waldo anymore, I have to pee in a cup every once in awhile these days, but I load for two Tikka 7mm Rem Mags. 162 eldx at just under 3k is a deer and elk killing machine. Accurate as heck, too.

P
Posted By: KU_Geo Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/10/19
Ha! Auto correct. Fixed it.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/10/19
I sure wish Browning would make more of the 8 twist ?-bolt Stalker long range models... I think they were 2018 Shot specials.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/10/19
The best option is to trade one on a 270.
Posted By: KU_Geo Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/11/19
Mtn boomer, the LR stalker was the one I was looking at. Like the idea of a long mag with a fast twisting to try 180 velds. The only thing making me hesitant on going the tikka route is the 9.5 twist and short mag box length.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/11/19
Those are two BIG deficits for a 7Mag.
The only thing making me hesitant on going the tikka route is the 9.5 twist and short mag box length.

Those would be two HUGE deficits for me if I was choosing a 7RM.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/11/19
Kimber Mountain Ascent.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/11/19
Mtn boomer, the LR stalker was the one I was looking at. Like the idea of a long mag with a fast twist to already be able to try 180 velds. The only thing making me hesitant on going the tikka route is the 9.5 twist and short mag box length.

Gotcha. The 180 Hornadys are why I got interested. I'm specifically referring to the budget Browning model that was like $650 for a bit last year through GrabAGun... Anyways, I ended up inspired by one of Hondo64's threads and got a Criterion nut barrel. Mine is a Shilen DGR action that uses Savage small shank barrel threads. Of course they do Remage. AND, they are making Tikka nut barrels now. Darn tempting.

I regret thinking I needed 26" which at Criterion meant Heavy Sporter. A 20" sporter contour would sure be what I rather carry, with suppressor. It's so easy to get good enough velocity out of the 7mmRM. that a shorter barrel would not matter to me a bit. 20/20 in hindsight.
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm Rem mag options - 11/11/19
Kimber Ascent
© 24hourcampfire