Home
I've ran upon what I think is a great deal. A Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in .300 Wby Mag. I already have a .300 Win Mag, but I've always wanted a Mark V. It's got a few battle scars (minor scratches) but it is a beauty, and $650 makes it impossible for me to pass up. I believe it is a 26" barrel and a Accu-Brake.

Anyone have anything to say about this style rifle? If you were me, would you get it, even though you already have a .30 mag? I believe its 200 fps better than the Win Mag, correct?

Whatcha think fellas?
I kinda wanted a six-lug version once. Could never get myself to pay the money for one vs other rifles at half the cost. If I had seen one at that price, I’d probably woulda bought it.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I kinda wanted a six-lug version once. Could never get myself to pay the money for one vs other rifles at half the cost. If I had seen one at that price, I’d probably woulda bought it.

This one is a 9 lug isn't it?
Yes. It is a 9-lug.
Originally Posted by 7point62mag

The 300 Wby is a 9 lug. I had wanted the trimmer 6-lug version in 280.

The 300 Wby is a 9 lug. I had wanted the trimmer 6-lug version in 280.

Yeah, I can see that. They are about a pound lighter.

Originally Posted by Weatherby
6-Lug version weighs 5 ¾ pounds; 9-lug version weighs 6 ¾ pounds
my ultralight 257 bee

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have one in 270 Wby, I have been on the look for one for quite a while. That said I think the 300 is the most problematic of the ultralights because of barrel whip. Regular Wby cartridges can shoot very well in them.
Weatherby's have enough space to rebarrel to any thing. .338 Norma laugh
Killed this bull with a ulw 300 Wby, great gun, 3/4” with factory 180 Hornady @3300, Talley lw, leupold vari x I. Mine didn’t have a break, hellava elk rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I had a 300 WBY ultra light. shot great groups except for one unexplained flyer in most groups. Tried everything to correct but unsuccessful. Sent it back to Weatherby twice. They replaced it but would not tell me what was wrong with the rifle i sent them. Found that others were having a similar problem with UL. My conclusion was the 300 WBY is too much of a good thing in a 5 1/2 pound rifle. Too much of a hassle for the 100 fps a 300 WBY has over a 300 Win Mag. Replaced it with a M70 in 300 Mag. in a 1 pound synthetic stock. The 1/2 pound increase in over all weight was well worth the added consistency.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have one in 270 Wby, I have been on the look for one for quite a while. That said I think the 300 is the most problematic of the ultralights because of barrel whip. Regular Wby cartridges can shoot very well in them.

I would agree Ed, but that being said, I used to have a 300WM in what was then called the Super Big Game Master, which is the same rifle as the UL only with a black finish over the stainless barrel. It would do 1-1.5" at 100yds with factory ammo.

I love the UL rifles, IF you get one that shoots.
Oldelkhunter: Thanks for explaining the probable cause of my UL woes.
We have a 6 lug. Just a .243 Win but quirky. Will put 5 of various different things into around 3/4" at 100 yds. But POIs are all over the place. 80 gr loads print well away from 100s, etc.

My son shot his first deer with it. Was zeroed with 100 gr handloads. Substituted Fed Premium 100 gr NPs and he took a nice little 6-pt. His impact seemed high, but dead is dead. Couple years later checked and discovered it was shooting 5" higher with that ammo vs my handloads. Thought it was me, so fired two 5 shot groups switching ammo back and forth each shot. Ended up with two sub-MOA groups 5" apart. Wish I'd brought the chronograph that day, but.....

Never seen anything like that, before or since. Do like the rifle alot - just have to know what's being fed.
That's just normal for most rifles.
Originally Posted by bobmn

I am not sure that is the reason you had issues with your UL but I have heard repeatedly about the larger calibers and barrel whip. FWIW my Kimber Montana would shoot a beautiful 3 shot group on a cold morning and then would go all over the place if you did not let it completely cool down and it was a 270 WSM. I think the UL has a beefier barrel.
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I would agree Ed, but that being said, I used to have a 300WM in what was then called the Super Big Game Master, which is the same rifle as the UL only with a black finish over the stainless barrel. It would do 1-1.5" at 100yds with factory ammo.

I love the UL rifles, IF you get one that shoots.

Yeah I really like my 270 wby. I have bought 2 accumarks and 1 lw in the last month. I was supposed to be going thru a gun reduction at the house grin I sold 4 rifles and a shotgun on consignment and was trying to get down to 4 total rifles (fluid number) not counting "other" stuff. grin

Unfortunately buying expensive scopes to put on all these rifles is making it more difficult.
Originally Posted by Judman
Killed this bull with a ulw 300 Wby, great gun, 3/4” with factory 180 Hornady @3300, Talley lw, leupold vari x I. Mine didn’t have a break, hellava elk rifle.

DId you do anything to the factory bedding? Mine came with no bedding at all.
No I've had 3, a 300 wby, 240, and 257, all 3 were sub moa, my 257, waaaay better than that. Pard has a 270 wby, same way, all of em had the pressure point bout a inch from the top of the stock. That being said, another pard had a 257 that was a 2 1\2" rifle.
No I've had 3, a 300 wby, 240, and 257, all 3 were sub moa, my 257, waaaay better than that. Pard has a 270 wby, same way, all of em had the pressure point bout a inch from the top of the stock. That being said, another pard had a 257 that was a 2 1\2" rifle.

I have a 240,7mm(accumarks) and 270 in a lightweight. I will be wringing them out in the next few weeks. The 2 accumarks came bedded from the factory, the 270 does not have any glass bedding at all.
I had two of them once. A 257wby and a 240 wby. Paid 600 dollars each. They both shot great.

Should have never sold them. The guy I sold them to for the same price had the same [bleep] eating grin I did when I bought them.
Originally Posted by bobmn

In addition to barrel-whip, have you verified the stock screws are torqued properly? It seems the UL/SBGM rifles are sensitive to proper torque as well as ammo (as others have mentioned.)
This one used to be a .300 Win Mag. It is a Krieger barrel on it now.

Great picture Jud! That’s a good looking bull!

Stainless Krieger in a light contour?
Originally Posted by mathman

Stainless Krieger in a light contour?

He said it's the same specs as the standard Weatherby Ultralight.
You may be getting caught up in that confusion about Criterion barrels going on Wby. Accumarks that people were calling Kriegers. Criterion was originally a Krieger spinoff that was a producer of OEM button rifled barrels.
You may be getting caught up in that confusion about Criterion barrels going on Wby. Accumarks that people were calling Kriegers. Criterion was originally a Krieger spinoff that was a producer of OEM button rifled barrels.

Criterion made the barrels for the Super Big Game Master Rifles which were integrated into the Ultra Light line and yes you are correct; OEM button rifled barrels.

^^^^^This , I think Krieger Criterions are used on the ultralightweight and pretty much all the Mark V's with fluted barrels . They do offer a Cut Rifle option but for 1k just for that don't think it is going to be on every Mark V.

^^^^^This , I think Krieger Criterions are used on the ultralightweight and pretty much all the Mark V's with fluted barrels . They do offer a Cut Rifle option but for 1k just for that don't think it is going to be on every Mark V.

You guys aren't listening. It WAS a .300 Win Mag until he had a .300 Wby Mag Krieger barrel put on it.
No, I'm listening.

The Weatherby Ultralight comes with a stainless barrel.

I asked you if the barrel was a light contour stainless Krieger because Krieger stopped making cut rifled stainless light contours a good while back.

Also, by itself a rebarrel job with a cut rifle Krieger will be on the order of seven bills.
No, I'm listening.

The Weatherby Ultralight comes with a stainless barrel.

I asked you if the barrel was a light contour stainless Krieger because Krieger stopped making cut rifled stainless light contours a good while back.

Also, by itself a rebarrel job with a cut rifle Krieger will be on the order of seven bills.

I think it is well worth $650, dont you? He has two just alike. He seen me in a other forum trying buy one, but I missed out on that one. So he offered to sell me one of his. Very nice guy.
I bought my UL new in 2002 or so, in .30-06. I loved everything about it except the accuracy. Plenty good enough for 200 yards and in but when I started hunting wide open terrain I sold it. I tried everything to shrink the groups, different loads/powders/bullets, you name it, even had it bedded. 2” at 100 was about average.

Bought a Tikka to replace it.

P
Buy it right now I've got two ulw in 300 Wby. that I have picked up used plus one I bought new one of the used ones i paid 750.00 for the other I was at the range and a guy was trying to sight it in and was flinching so bad that i tried to help him He was so pizzed at the rifle that he was headed to the gun shop to get rid of it. After He calmed down He tried My Tikka in 270WSM he had no problem with that at all I jokingly offered to trade $450.00 later it was mine shoots great.
I have two Wby UL’s, 7 Wby & 280 Remington. They both shoot sub-moa with all bullet weights. Love them both.

If you can get a UL for $650 you should be buying it.
My son bought one last year in 270 Win, thing shoots fantastic with several loads. Don’t think I’d care for one in 300Wby but at that price I’d have to try it and find out!
I had 2 of them. 1st shot always went where it was pointed. Then the 2nd shot would begin to climb, as would the 3rd. Wasn’t impressed with either of them. To much speed or heat in to light of a barrel.

YMMV.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have two Wby UL’s, 7 Wby & 280 Remington. They both shoot sub-moa with all bullet weights. Love them both.

If you can get a UL for $650 you should be buying it.

It's mine already. I'll have it in a week or so.

He says it shoots Sub-Moa with factory ammo, and he killed two Elk with it. One at 560 yards and one at 312.
Delete this please
Does all the good stuff I've been told about the 168gr TTSX still apply with the .300 Wby ?
Does all the good stuff I've been told about the 168gr TTSX still apply with the .300 Wby ?

Not from my usage, but another fella on here dotes on the 300 Wby and 168 TTSX at 3300.. It's a laser of a combo and I can't see too much out there doing better than it.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Not from my usage, but another fella on here dotes on the 300 Wby and 168 TTSX at 3300.. It's a laser of a combo and I can't see too much out there doing better than it.

Where do I know you from? Shootersforum maybe? Did you used to talk to a guy named "Tang" ? That's me by the way. I remember you, but can't for the life of me remember from where.

Where do I know you from? Shootersforum maybe? Did you used to talk to a guy named "Tang" ? That's me by the way. I remember you, but can't for the life of me remember from where.

That could very well be. Been a bit since I have been on there.
Where the 300 Wby. really shines is with 180 grain or heaver bullets I've settled on 200 grain partitions for most of my hunting loads I picked up a box of 200 grain accubonds but haven't tried them yet
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
Where the 300 Wby. really shines is with 180 grain or heaver bullets I've settled on 200 grain partitions for most of my hunting loads I picked up a box of 200 grain accubonds but haven't tried them yet

200 Partition is my favorite load in a .30.

That could very well be. Been a bit since I have been on there.

I know it was Shootersforum now. Maybe you will remember me by my four boat paddle Rugers.

Attached picture PB_1573443685668.png
I love my two UL’s,
My 270 Roy is one holing at 100 yards
My ‘06 is below a 3/4” shooter at 100 yards

Love the bolt lift angle as well
© 24hourcampfire