Home
Posted By: BobMt weatherby 257 mag - 11/24/19

am thinking of getting a mark v ultra light in 257 mag....anyone have this rifle ...how do you like it.....

thoughts on the 257 mag...…..bob
Posted By: beretzs Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/24/19
Little brother uses a 257 Wby with 120’s at 3300 and 100 TTSXs at 3550. It is a deer hammer in my book.
Posted By: GreggH Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/24/19
Bob
Beretzs is right. It has to be seen what it will do to a deer. 100 gr ttsx will serve you well.
GreggH
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/24/19
100 gr TTSX over H1000. If you don't reload it may not be worth buying. The barrel will heat up fast so it's not exactly a range gun. When I shoot my 6.5 CM it seems like it takes forever to hear the bullet hit steel at 550 yards. When I shoot my .257 bee, it is amazing to hear the difference. That rascal is fast!
Posted By: BobMt Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/24/19

I have never owned a Weatherby before...but it comes in left hand......and the 257 bee seems like a heck of a round....wonder why you don't hear more about it......bob
Posted By: 308ld Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
Originally Posted by beretzs
Little brother uses a 257 Wby with 120’s at 3300 and 100 TTSXs at 3550. It is a deer hammer in my book.

It is that!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Fotis Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
Posted By: Judman Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
Got one in the safe, primary rifle for almost 20 years, love it, accurate, collected a lot a meat\bone with it, always just ran the factory 100' s in it.
Posted By: hanco Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
I load 110 Accubonds for mine!
Posted By: Rodell Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
100 grain TTSX's and a max dose of IMR7828SSC does a heck of a job!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
I have never seen any other cartridge put down there as quick as the 257 Weatherby and equally with the 100gr Hornady or my now preferred 100gr TTSX
Posted By: TheKid Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
I have a M70 I barreled. It’s a hell of a rig for point and shoot with no dialing at 0-500 yards. Been hell on the deer and caribou I’ve shot with it. I usually shoot 100s from Nosler or Barnes but the most spectacular kills for me have been with the 85gr Ballistic Tip.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/25/19
I've only owned one .257 Weatherby and it was in a 700 CDL-SF. I liked everything about that rifle except the accuracy .. or I should say, lack of accuracy. It was a 3-4 MOA rifle with factory ammo and with my handloads. I think a .257 that would shoot accurately would be pretty special. Mine wasn't.

Tom
Posted By: Sako76 Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
I have a Remington LSS, it shoots Weatherby factory 110 Accubonds into dime sized groups.
Posted By: 7point62mag Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by Fotis

What app do you have to analyze targets?
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
I have had 3 or 4 think often of getting another... sYou will like it!!
Posted By: 7point62mag Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by BobMt

am thinking of getting a mark v ultra light in 257 mag....anyone have this rifle ...how do you like it.....

thoughts on the 257 mag...…..bob

I'm in the process of getting an Ultralight myself, only in .300 Roy. I have shot a .257, and they are impressive. I believe you'd have to find a special load to get it to NOT shoot accurately. Everything we fed that one was below an inch @ 100.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
Found a 257 WBY Mag at the gun show I went to last month. One of the vendors is a very talented rifle builder and he had a Ruger M77 MKII varmint/target (the laminated stock with heavy barrel finished in the target gray) that started out as a 25-06. He re-chambered it to 257 WBY and opened up the bolt face, beautiful job and the price was good at $650 asking price. I was tempted as I like the cartridge, but it just wasn't the rifle I'd like to have it in. I agree with a classic MK V as the carrier for the cartridge!
Posted By: BobMt Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Found a 257 WBY Mag at the gun show I went to last month. One of the vendors is a very talented rifle builder and he had a Ruger M77 MKII varmint/target (the laminated stock with heavy barrel finished in the target gray) that started out as a 25-06. He re-chambered it to 257 WBY and opened up the bolt face, beautiful job and the price was good at $650 asking price. I was tempted as I like the cartridge, but it just wasn't the rifle I'd like to have it in. I agree with a classic MK V as the carrier for the cartridge!

I am going to go to the Bozeman gun show and see if one is there......if not I am going to order one.....bob
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19

I have never owned a Weatherby before...but it comes in left hand......and the 257 bee seems like a heck of a round....wonder why you don't hear more about it......bob

You don't hear more about it for multiple reasons. First is that there are not a lot of rifles chambered for it. And those that are tend to be more expensive., making it a better option for handloaders than those that shoot factory ammo. Third, while it shoots flatter than most other cartridges inside 700 yards (and probably further), it is an overbore barrel burner - it is a hunter, not a target cartridge.

My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle. While it doesn't push bullets as fast as a .25-06 or .257 WBY, it does pretty well with +P brass and loads, it is economical on powder and it is a joy to shoot. A Savage 111 action I have as a donor has a mag bolt face and i've been debating how to chamber the new barrel. Could change the bolt face and go with a non-magnum. Have considered .25-06, .257 WBY, 6.5 PRC, 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, .264 WM, 26 Nosler, .270 Win, .270WBY, .280 AI, 28 Nosler and a few others that I don't already have.

I keep coming back to the idea of a cartridge that is economical on powder, relatively easy on the shoulder and adequate for hunting elk and smaller out to at least 600 yards. Good availability and options for bullets and brass is a requirement.as well. Since only one SIL reloads and I plan to pass this rifle down to family later on, the less exotic the better. My current 6.5-06AI shoots as flat as a 257 WBY and does so using .25-06 brass that is fire-formed. And does it with a 24" barrel.

Still have not decided on the chambering but have eliminated some, including the .257 WBY. I'd rather go with a 6.5PRC or .264WM than the .257 WBY.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You don't hear more about it for multiple reasons. First is that there are not a lot of rifles chambered for it. And those that are tend to be more expensive., making it a better option for handloaders than those that shoot factory ammo. Third, while it shoots flatter than most other cartridges inside 700 yards (and probably further), it is an overbore barrel burner - it is a hunter, not a target cartridge.

My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle. While it doesn't push bullets as fast as a .25-06 or .257 WBY, it does pretty well with +P brass and loads, it is economical on powder and it is a joy to shoot. A Savage 111 action I have as a donor has a mag bolt face and i've been debating how to chamber the new barrel. Could change the bolt face and go with a non-magnum. Have considered .25-06, .257 WBY, 6.5 PRC, 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, .264 WM, 26 Nosler, .270 Win, .270WBY, .280 AI, 28 Nosler and a few others that I don't already have.

I keep coming back to the idea of a cartridge that is economical on powder, relatively easy on the shoulder and adequate for hunting elk and smaller out to at least 600 yards. Good availability and options for bullets and brass is a requirement.as well. Since only one SIL reloads and I plan to pass this rifle down to family later on, the less exotic the better. My current 6.5-06AI shoots as flat as a 257 WBY and does so using .25-06 brass that is fire-formed. And does it with a 24" barrel.

Still have not decided on the chambering but have eliminated some, including the .257 WBY. I'd rather go with a 6.5PRC or .264WM than the .257 WBY.

…….I don't know why a rifle that is more expensive is better for a handloader…….I will shoot factory only.....I am not a target shooter so the life of the barrel should be fine for me.

it is also hard to get a wide selection shooting lh…..not lh just shoot that way....haven't had a weatherby before be nice to try one out.....

cost of ammo is not a consideration …..24 vs 26......2 inches difference.....not a big deal......thanks for all the replies.....bob

anybody have a lh 257 mag ultra light they might think about selling......bob
Posted By: splattermatic Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
Just finished loading a few over 100, with 110 gr Accubond's, over 69.5 gr's of rldr 22.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: whitearrow Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Just finished loading a few over 100, with 110 gr Accubond's, over 69.5 gr's of rldr 22.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

those look seated out a touch farther than wby factory loads.
Big Ed
Posted By: addicted Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
I’ll have my first 257 Roy in a week or two.

Excited to test it out.

I love my 270 Roy Ultra Lightweight
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You don't hear more about it for multiple reasons. First is that there are not a lot of rifles chambered for it. And those that are tend to be more expensive., making it a better option for handloaders than those that shoot factory ammo. ...

…….I don't know why a rifle that is more expensive is better for a handloader…….I will shoot factory only.....I am not a target shooter so the life of the barrel should be fine for me.

it is also hard to get a wide selection shooting lh…..not lh just shoot that way....haven't had a weatherby before be nice to try one out.....

cost of ammo is not a consideration …..24 vs 26......2 inches difference.....not a big deal......thanks for all the replies.....bob

The “better option for handloaders” was in respect to ammo availability and cost – looks like I made an editing error whrn I was writing/rewriting that paragraph. Cost of ammo may not apply to you, even though you shoot factory ammo. But it matters to most shooters.

I prefer 22” to 24 or 26” and much prefer 24” to 26”. Not much difference, you say, but I find a 26” barrel on a bolt gun snags far more often. YMMV.

Granted, LH rifles are far fewer in availability. Sounds like the .257WBY would be a good fit for you, not so much for most.
Posted By: BobMt Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/27/19

coyote hunter thanks for your view...….I agree that to a shooter...cost could be an issue......this will be a hunting rifle the amount of ammo ran thru it wont be that much..

barrel length.....I like 24....but 2 inches in the grand scheme of things for me wont matter much.....thick timber....shorter....open meadows....prairie fine...…

I also think the 257 mag will be a good fit ...thanks.....I also think it sounds like a good fit for anyone that likes and wants a pretty flat shooting rifle.....bob
Posted By: addicted Re: weatherby 257 mag - 11/27/19

coyote hunter thanks for your view...….I agree that to a shooter...cost could be an issue......this will be a hunting rifle the amount of ammo ran thru it wont be that much..

barrel length.....I like 24....but 2 inches in the grand scheme of things for me wont matter much.....thick timber....shorter....open meadows....prairie fine...…

I also think the 257 mag will be a good fit ...thanks.....I also think it sounds like a good fit for anyone that likes and wants a pretty flat shooting rifle.....bob

What I read earlier today was a 24” 257 Roy is basically a 25-06AI or 25-06. The additional factory true 26” barrel length is best for the 257 Roy.
I’m only stating what I read and not my experience (yet)
© 24hourcampfire