Home

Simply, I've a Ruger 77 Hawkeye 338 RCM with a factory original walnut stock.
I'd like to run another stock.

What are your suggestions and my options.?

I bought a laminate from Ruger for a MK II.

If you are looking for a synthetic, I can offer no advice, except perhaps, again look for a factory stock, either boat paddle or the newer full form synthetic. Sometimes factory take offs are available.

It is my understanding that the stocks interchange between the Mk II and the Hawkeye.
Boyds
If you’re trying to stay on the cheaper end, the Hawkeye synthetics are pretty nice for a factory stock,

What budget range are you looking at?

On the low end, Ruger Hawkeye take offs, as TxHunter80 suggested, are one of the better injection molded stocks.

On the higher end, I would be looking at a McMillan Ruger Classic.
Suggestions from another thread....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-ruger-boat-paddle-restock#Post14170615
If you sell the walnut I would be interested
I have always used Hogues on my Rugers. They take recoil to nothing, and they have always shot sub-moa.
Not a lot of options. McMillan doesn't make the Edge for Rugers. If it had to be aftermarket then a standard weight McMillan. If not the factory synthetic is one of the better options. And would be my personal pick.

I find it quite interesting that so many suggest the Ruger Tupperware.

Some have asked me about a price ceiling. I'm aware of the cost of the McMillan's and would gladly pay it for an Edge fill stock... if they made it.

Am I assuming correctly that McMillan's compact is lighter than a Ruger laminate.?
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Am I assuming correctly that McMillan's compact is lighter than a Ruger laminate.?

Almost anything will be lighter than a Ruger laminate.

Okie John
Legendary Arms Works makes one, pretty much a Bansner I believe. Bansner is re-tooling for his, but doesn't appear to be including Rugers right now.

The factory synthetics are tough and cheap if you're just looking to spare your walnut in the field.

I find it quite interesting that so many suggest the Ruger Tupperware.

It is no surprise to me as I was going to suggest it myself - and still do.

'Tupperware' is pretty much a pejorative term when used in conjunction with rifle stocks. In contrast to many synthetic stocks, the Hawkeye synthetics are quite nice. a McMillan? No.

I have three different Ruger Synthetic stocks and like them all. My .338WM wears a skeletonized 'boat paddle' stock with a Limbsaver recoil pad. The thing is fairly lightweight and shoots very well. My .280 Rem has the newer synthetic stock and I may purchase another for a different rifle. Like it a lot, too, and it also shoots very well. The last is my Ruger Scout, where I replaced the laminate factory stock with the factory synthetic Scout stock as soon as Ruger offered them for sale. MUCH nicer, And yeah, it shoots well, too.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Legendary Arms Works makes one, pretty much a Bansner I believe. Bansner is re-tooling for his, but doesn't appear to be including Rugers right now.

The factory synthetics are tough and cheap if you're just looking to spare your walnut in the field.

Unless they have added to their offerings lately, LAW/Bansner only produces long action Ruger stocks.

No personal experience, but if looking for lightweight, I believe Brown Precision makes a short action Ruger stocks.
I love the Hogue stocks on my Rugers. The grip is amazing and the recoil pad is like an angel pillow. I make sure the barrels float, and they shoot great for me.

Attached picture 338_left.jpg
Attached picture 20191119_184023-818x213.jpg

Thanks everyone, lots of options and great suggestions, some I'd not considered.

Sure would be nice to be able to handle them all for a bit and compare.

I'd like to explore this a bit more and start with Brown after the Holiday and see if they would do a Pounder for my rig. And that factory option on the cheap might get another look, especially if I can inlet a Skeleton to my action.

I'm not sure how the Ruger Compact Magnum Rifle's action dims differ from the other SA Hawkeyes, if at all.

Thanks everyone, lots of options and great suggestions, some I'd not considered.

Sure would be nice to be able to handle them all for a bit and compare.

I'd like to explore this a bit more and start with Brown after the Holiday and see if they would do a Pounder for my rig. And that factory option on the cheap might get another look, especially if I can inlet a Skeleton to my action.

I'm not sure how the Ruger Compact Magnum Rifle's action dims differ from the other SA Hawkeyes, if at all.

Skeleton? You mean the Ruger Boat Paddle? MkII stocks fit Hawkeyes.

Yes, the Ruger "Zytel/Boat Paddle/ Skeleton" handle..

What I dont know is if the exterior dimensions of the rifles built for the RCM cartridges differs from those built for the common .473" head size SA cartridges..

What I dont know is if the exterior dimensions of the rifles built for the RCM cartridges differs from those built for the common .473" head size SA cartridges..

No sir, the external dimensions are identical. The only one that's different is the M77 MkII Express Magnum that was built for 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott.
A McM Ruger Hunter would and has been my choice.

I have a trio of stainless Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5CM, and 338FED set up that way.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A McM Ruger Hunter would and has been my choice.

I have a trio of stainless Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5CM, and 338FED set up that way.

The .338 Federal is one of my favorites! The 160 TTSX makes it a Deer rifle with a thump!

The action fit is identical; your barrel contour is slightly heavier. No big deal, just sand the factory channel out a bit more to fit.
MDT LSS....

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

The action fit is identical; your barrel contour is slightly heavier. No big deal, just sand the factory channel out a bit more to fit.

Right on.!

I would buy that walnut stock if you dont need it.
I have some McMillans on some Rugers from 223 up through 416 Ruger. I like the Ruger Classic best, but no issue with the Hunter either.
I also have a couple of H-S Precision on 375 and 416 Rugers.
I like the H-S Precision on the bigger bores. Though prefer a slimmer fore end on the smaller bores.

Idmay,

If you have a spare short action wood stock u pulled when u went mcmillian or hs precision, i would be interested in one.
Unfortunately neither were wood. Both were in the rubber Hogue.
© 24hourcampfire