Home
Have the itch for a new Christmas rifle. And before I jumped into one, I was wondering how much more am I going to gain from shooting 140’s in a 20” barrel 7-08 to 140’s and 160’s in a 22” barrel 280 rem. I have chosen the Remington 700 platform for the 280 rem because of the availability of aftermarket parts. Also chose the 280 because that’s what I want.
What you want is a good enough reason to get the .280!!!!!! I have a 7mm-08 never showed me very much...
If that's what you want, then don't even question. Velocity loss between the two, the 7-08 with the 20" tube is giving up 200-300 fps on the 280, especially when you get to the 160's

I love both but with the style and places I hunt, my 20" 7mm-08 is what I consider near ideal
I've owned four different 280 Rems over the years, and never should have sold at least three of them! A new M70 Classic, a '09 Argentine Mauser sporter, and a Ruger No. 1 marked "7mm Rem Express". Back when you could get a handful of tags in Montana, I brought home three mule deer with three shots in a weekend with the Classic. Also killed multiple pronghorn with that gun, mostly launching 160s. I don't recall that I ever blooded the other two. I still have one, a custom stocked '09 in 280AI that is dialed in with 140 gr. Barnes that I've yet to take on a hunt. An embarrassment of riches. You won't regret your choice... it is a sweet cartridge.
Do you reload?

Not much point in getting a .280 if you don't. The SAAMI specs on teh .280 are ridiculously low.
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
Have the itch for a new Christmas rifle. And before I jumped into one, I was wondering how much more am I going to gain from shooting 140’s in a 20” barrel 7-08 to 140’s and 160’s in a 22” barrel 280 rem. I have chosen the Remington 700 platform for the 280 rem because of the availability of aftermarket parts. Also chose the 280 because that’s what I want.

A 22" 280 will run 200+fps over a 20" 7-08.

One thing I've noticed over the years, those that own SA cartridges like the 7-08 tend to try to turn them into something they're not by a lot of handloading gyrations, the search for "the" wonder powder, and generally running them too hot.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Do you reload?

Not much point in getting a .280 if you don't. The SAAMI specs on teh .280 are ridiculously low.

+1
How far do you shoot? It only matters at the very end.
max range is gonna be 400 yards. I had planned on reloading or having a friend work up a load for the 280 esp in the 160's. As of now my first set up is going to be the Rem 700 MTN rifle with Talley lows and a 4-12X40 of some kind, havent fully decided yet. I like the new VX freedom 4-12X40 but the MOA reticle gets blurry quick due to my eye sight, kinda thought of ordering one with the plain duplex reticle.
My first .280 was the cartridge I started handloading for. I bought a simple LEE Classic Loader ( hammer em in hammer em out) but an RCBS scale. I also used a hand priming tool (they came out the next year) I used IMR 4831/139 Hornady. Wonderful round! Later in life, I had a Mod 700 MR .280 reamed to the 280AI. I used the 150NBT on deer/antelope/exotics and the Speer 160HC on elk. Wonderful round. I had one 7mm08, a Kimber 84M Classic ( a wonderful rifle) the caliber was used on exotics, but I only used the 139 SST Lite Magnum. But guess what? That LM ammo shot the 139SST to 3100fps, but man, were they hot! Sticky bolt flat primer each round! . Guess what again? Yep, .280 speeds. You can't go wrong with a .280! smile
Just get a 270 Win, it will deliver +3,000 fps with a vast amount of off-the-shelf ammo found anywhere on the planet all with a 22-inch barrel. Actually the 270 Win has always been the thorn in the side of the 280 Rem. Popularity and field use would greatly support this assessment.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Just get a 270 Win, it will deliver +3,000 fps with a vast amount of off-the-shelf ammo found anywhere on the planet all with a 22-inch barrel.

Yup, true. But he didn’t ask about the 270.
Just thought I’d throw it out there so he could contemplate since the two share the same parent hull and performance in the field.😉
More companies like Berger are pushing the limits in bullets and BC. .277 hunting 170 grain VLD with BC at close to .700. Like all original thoughts, slower twist, lighter bullets, high velocity was a goal. Now heavy for caliber, fast twist, long range wind bucking is in vogue. For that recipe a .277 bore with 1-8.5 or 1-8 twist is in a real sweet spot considering it falls between the high BC popular .264 and .284 bores. Just sayin maybe the 270 Win can take on a new life after 95 years on the market.
Just get a 270 Win, it will deliver +3,000 fps with a vast amount of off-the-shelf ammo found anywhere on the planet all with a 22-inch barrel. Actually the 270 Win has always been the thorn in the side of the 280 Rem. Popularity and field use would greatly support this assessment.

if my friends found out I got a 270 they would beat me up and then make me shoot one of their 30-06's
Between the 280 and the 7mm-08, I’d go with the 7mm-08. Without a doubt, less is more.
Originally Posted by smallfry
Between the 280 and the 7mm-08, I’d go with the 7mm-08. Without a doubt, less is more.

And I the opposite. The additional speed with 160s equates to energy down range. Never a bad thing.

Have a Sako 85 finnlight in 7-08, just got the itch for something else.

if my friends found out I got a 270 they would beat me up and then make me shoot one of their 30-06's

They sound like the kind of guys you want to have around when you're at the bar and it's closing time. grin
Originally Posted by RiverRider

They sound like the kind of guys you want to have around when you're at the bar and it's closing time. grin

They usually don’t let you get beat up to bad lol
Originally Posted by ChipM
If that's what you want, then don't even question. Velocity loss between the two, the 7-08 with the 20" tube is giving up 200-300 fps on the 280, especially when you get to the 160's

I love both but with the style and places I hunt, my 20" 7mm-08 is what I consider near ideal

Just to add to what Chip has suggested,

Respectfully, as far as bullet placement goes, out to sane hunting distances, what's 200 fps.?

I can see, for myself, getting curious if we're talking over 300 fps... (and a harder bullet like some mono metals)
But 200 fps doesn't matter to me in regard to bullet placement.

If we have a 160 NAB leaving said candidates at and velocities 'round about 2600 fps for the 7-08, and 'round 2800 for the 280 then.... that's your 200 fps difference.

Give them both a 200 yard zero and the 7-08 hits about 1 1/2" lower than the 280 at 300 yards, and about 4" lower at 400.

I've ran the 284 Winchester quite a bit (subjective) and killed no small number of Deer when doing so. That cartridge is right in there with the aforementioned 7-08/280.

Were it me, and I realize that not, and I was forced to build on a Remington action, when going "7 mm Something" I'd roll with a 23" barrel on a Short Action given the two options.

You will have other needs, desires and appreciations for what you choose.
I trust you will thoroughly enjoy your 280 Remington, it's all the cartridge a man needs... minus DG.

I just so happened to stumble upon a new unfired Kimber montana 280 Ackley, for not much more than a new hunter model. Now I’m in a pickle lol
Originally Posted by Brad

A 22" 280 will run 200+fps over a 20" 7-08.

+1..
Factory Remington 700 CDL-SF 280 Remington, I get 2860 fps w/160 gr. Nosler A/B and Partitions in Remington brass that lasts multiple loadings.

Has taken 4 of my last 5 elk without hiccup (also mulies and pronghorns...same load with same results.)

Need I say more.
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Factory Remington 700 CDL-SF 280 Remington, I get 2860 fps w/160 gr. Nosler A/B and Partitions in Remington brass that lasts multiple loadings.

Has taken 4 of my last 5 elk without hiccup (also mulies and pronghorns...same load with same results.)

Need I say more.

Now if I could find one of these exact models I would leave the AI behind. The CDL SF models were something for sure!

Need I say more.

Sounds like a .30-06.

P
Originally Posted by CBB15

And I the opposite. The additional speed with 160s equates to energy down range. Never a bad thing.

Energy? Come on now....

1990's Field and Stream magazine topic and equates to nothing, especially with the post topic....
I’m an 06 whore.
So the 280 in longer barrel with heavier pills for the easy win.
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Respectfully, as far as bullet placement goes, out to sane hunting distances, what's 200 fps.?

What is the max limit on "sane hunting distances"?
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by 358wsm

What is the max limit on "sane hunting distances"?

Coyote Hunter,

My good man, as you well know, the answer to your question is ever changing, subjective to every encounter, contingent upon a host of factors.
In that moment, I would say let every ethical hunter do what he deems is right, and that shall be sane.
A 243 win is more than adequate for the majority of hunters in this country. But if more is more, then more power to you grin
If you want a .280, get one. Simple as that.

While I'm a big .270 fan, you already have one 7mm rifle, so buying another one makes perfect sense logistically. That Kimber sounds nice.

OTOH, I'm down to one long-action rifle, and that one's on thin ice due to its size and weight and the hunting I do (and my age). Short actions make more sense now, and for 400 yards max, a 7-08 with a bit longer fast-twist barrel would be fine as well. If targets are in the mix, 7-08 all the way, as a practical matter, for economy if nothing else, and " mechanics" as someone here likes to say.
I'm a 7mm whore !
Currently stash loading 7-08's with 140 gr AB's, over 48.0 grs of h4350. 22" barrel at a bit over 2800 fps.
My stable includes a 7x64, a 280ai, and a 7mm RM.
Any measurable differences ?
Not much til I get to the 7mm RM.
Different bullets in each.

The .280 vs. 7-08 comparison pretty much mirrors the .30-06 vs. .308.

In my own .280, I have been loading the Hornady 150 gr. ELD-X bullet, which has a high BC (.574) and is very accurate out of my 22" PacNor barrel. MV is 3020 fps, using RL 26 powder. IMO, this load is a near-optimum big game getter for just about anything you would want to hunt with it, and the high-BC bullet at decent velocity makes for less drop and wind drift at longer ranges. Recoil, in my 7.5# all up rifle, is very manageable.
I've had both cartridges, and the only one that remains in the safe is the .280 Rem. It was the first rifle I ever bought, and probably one of the most accurate I ever shot. I have thought about upgrading to a .280 AI, but I just need to get off my ass and reload for the .280.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you want a .280, get one. Simple as that.

While I'm a big .270 fan, you already have one 7mm rifle, so buying another one makes perfect sense logistically. That Kimber sounds nice.

OTOH, I'm down to one long-action rifle, and that one's on thin ice due to its size and weight and the hunting I do (and my age). Short actions make more sense now, and for 400 yards max, a 7-08 with a bit longer fast-twist barrel would be fine as well. If targets are in the mix, 7-08 all the way, as a practical matter, for economy if nothing else, and " mechanics" as someone here likes to say.

Pappy,

I've always enjoyed your posts.
I too am a short action fan, though currently my majority is long action.

The 284 Winchester fits perfectly in a short action Winchester model 70.
For mine, I had the bolt stop lengthened and replaced the magazine box with their WSM box, this gave me slightly over 3.10" COAL.

All the juice of the 280 but in a short action.

Ran mostly 120 grain NBT' and TTSX's.
Muzzle velocity was 3260 fps.

It worked.

Just thought I’d throw it out there so he could contemplate since the two share the same parent hull and performance in the field.😉

Wrong answer!

g

Why not compare the 280 to a 7mm-08 with a 22 or 23” barrel? You’ll find the difference to be minimal.
Originally Posted by lastround

Why not compare the 280 to a 7mm-08 with a 22 or 23” barrel? You’ll find the difference to be minimal.

Because my Sako 85 finnlight 7-08 sports a 20” barrel and the Remington 700 MTN rifle has a 22” barrel. That’s the 2 I had originally chosen. I have now found a few great deals on some 24” barrels on the 280 AI chamber that I’m considering. But have not fully decided so it’s up in the air.
Three hours ago this sow enjoyed some of the mind blowing ‘lil 7-08. I could prob sell all the rest and be just fine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
High velocity rounds in 20 inch barrels are loud, if that makes any difference. For myself it does. Other than that, not that big of a deal....
A 20" ultralite 7/08 is a handy sumbish.....

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Need I say more.

Sounds like a .30-06.

P

Lol. Yep. I do love the .280 tho
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Fine looking rifle, Don.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Three hours ago this sow enjoyed some of the mind blowing ‘lil 7-08. I could prob sell all the rest and be just fine.

That sow definitely looks like she got all googly-eyed over your 7mm-08. Nice work.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Nice Ruger!!

Do tell of this rifle.
700 action
20” PacNor barrel with Mtn rifle contour.
PacNor did all the work.
McMillan Edge Mtn rifle stock.
Leupold 2.5-8
Talley LW
700 action
20” PacNor barrel with Mtn rifle contour.
PacNor did all the work.
McMillan Edge Mtn rifle stock.
Leupold 2.5-8
Talley LW

Very nice!!!
Well I had the option to buy this rifle back, that I sold foolishly to a friend that had to have it. 1979 Remington 700 BDL 7mm express, its a bute!!! It will not have the optic so I’ll be hunting for a older gloss scope to compliment it. Gonna hang on to it this time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]uploadpic
I've always liked the .280. Seemed like a good middle ground between the 270 and 30-06, with bullets a'plenty for reloading.

I have a Remington 7600 that I bought as soon as they came out with that chambering in that rifle. I took a nice 4 pt with it in Colorado in 1990. Still have it. Have a nice load worked up for it using Hornady 139 BTSP.

Read the 'fire here one too many times, and then Ruger a few years ago ran a special run of stainless American carbines in left hand. I ended up with two, one in .223 and one in 7mm-08. I may take the 7-08 hunting the last week of the season between Christmas and New Years. Nice, handly little rifle that I don't have to worry about in weather.

These last 2 weeks I read the 'fire too much (again) and just today ordered a RAR Predator in 6.5 Creed. It ought to be interesting to play with. I wanted to get a Savage back when they were chambering them in left hand in 6.5-284 but I lollygagged and missed out.

7mm-08 ammo will likely be a lot easier to find than .280 unless you mail order. I think both cartridges are very capable and I could hunt a lifetime with either with no regrets.
© 24hourcampfire