Home
Posted By: GRF Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/09/19
..how do they hold up? In hunting situations in rough county?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
My Proof held up great all hunting season from Nevada desert to Colorado timber not a scratch on it. Look up the YouTube video of guys breaking cinder blocks and not a scratch on it.

As far as holding up accuracy they deteriorate the same as normal steel barrels I’ve seen.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/09/19
Huntsman has a few and his get used quite a bit... I respect his advice and he may have me talked into trying one...
but I don't bust cinderblocks with mine....
WHY? What is the reason for them?
I don’t doubt they’ll hold up...

On the other hand they don’t offer enough weight “savings” or any other feasible benefit for me to drop twice the coin on one. Any of the #2-3 contours from quality barrel manufactures are within ounces.

I’ve done load development on 11-12 rifles with CF barrels from 3 different manufactures. I’m up to 4 as of this last week that will need to be sent back in for rebarrels. Both companies involved replaced the barrels with zero hassles, but that’s still not enough for me to spend my money on one. Stress relief consistency in the cores sounds to be the under laying problem.
Posted By: Judman Re: Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by joshf303
I don’t doubt they’ll hold up...

On the other hand they don’t offer enough weight “savings” or any other feasible benefit for me to drop twice the coin on one. I’ve done load development on 11-12 rifles with CF barrels from 3 different manufactures. I’m up to 4 as of this last week that will need to be sent back in for rebarrels. Both companies involved replaced the barrels with zero hassles, but that’s still not enough for me to spend my money on one. Stress relief consistency in the cores sounds to be the under laying problem.

yes, and they're ugly....Grin

Better have Sitka gear and a flat bill too
dammit..... now you tell me. And I just got Kuiu, a manbun, millenial beard and Mountain Ops to go with my flatbill. And here I thought I was set.
Don, your legit you ol gristle.... Grin

The "hey me " Instagram \Facebook crew sure likes em... But you don't resemble that remark...
Hell don, you could buck hunt in a flatbill with a pink thong and get away with it!!!😂😂
For God's sake please don't post pics if you do...
Originally Posted by GRF

I’ve only used Proofs. I love‘em. They’re light, stiff, dissipate heat fast, and tough. I use one on every application I can. If weight or a pencil thin barrel is a requirement, they’re out. With all the thought and effort it takes to do a custom rifle build, another $300 bucks in the pile of parts will never be missed.
Posted By: GRF Re: Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/10/19
Thanks for the input and opinions.
Weatherby partners with Proof and uses them on their MK5 Carbonmarks.
Originally Posted by Judman
Hell don, you could buck hunt in a flatbill with a pink thong and get away with it!!!😂😂

Originally Posted by jackmountain
For God's sake please don't post pics if you do...

What happens in Deer Trail, stays in Deer Trail.....
😳
Posted By: jbuck Re: Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Weatherby partners with Proof and uses them on their MK5 Carbonmarks.

From what I can read. They use to. All the new ones are inhouse tensioned barrels.

I hunted mine pretty hard this year and it shows absolutely no signs of use. Although I don't abuse my guns, I do use them.
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by GRF

I’ve only used Proofs. I love‘em. They’re light, stiff, dissipate heat fast, and tough. I use one on every application I can. If weight or a pencil thin barrel is a requirement, they’re out. With all the thought and effort it takes to do a custom rifle build, another $300 bucks in the pile of parts will never be missed.

You may need to do a little research. They hold heat, not dissipate it. Shooting a LW barrel is like stirring a mixed drink. Off hand it is moving. They are expensive. I see no use for them personally. If you want less weight to carry, lose weight.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by GRF

You may need to do a little research. They hold heat, not dissipate it. Shooting a LW barrel is like stirring a mixed drink. Off hand it is moving. They are expensive. I see no use for them personally. If you want less weight to carry, lose weight.

My experiences as well.....
It ain't the 7 lb rifle it's your 260 lb ass you can't get up the mountain in many cases.
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/10/19
I have a Proof barreled rifle with another barrel on order. I like them for many reasons, but their stiffness for a given weight, single point cut rifling and large diameter muzzle threads when compared to the muzzle of a steel barrel of equivalent weight are all good things. In terms of performance when compared to steel barrels of equivalent weight they're an upgrade. If you plan on adding a suppressor they're even more of an upgrade. I've found that mirage off the barrel is reduced, they don't walk shots as they heat up, they distribute heat more evenly along the entire barrel length which reduces hot spots, and they barely foul which makes cleaning a breeze.
Originally Posted by MCMXI
I have a Proof barreled rifle with another barrel on order. I like them for many reasons, but their stiffness for a given weight, single point cut rifling and large diameter muzzle threads when compared to the muzzle of a steel barrel of equivalent weight are all good things. In terms of performance when compared to steel barrels of equivalent weight they're an upgrade. If you plan on adding a suppressor they're even more of an upgrade. I've found that mirage off the barrel is reduced, they don't walk shots as they heat up, they distribute heat more evenly along the entire barrel length which reduces hot spots, and they barely foul which makes cleaning a breeze.

You read their propaganda??
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/12/19
You read their propaganda??

Just personal experience with three of their barrels and hundreds of rounds shot with/without suppressors attached. I like their barrels but I also like other barrels that aren't wrapped in carbon fiber. If you want to build a lightweight suppressed hunting rifle, a Proof barrel can be a good choice.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Carbon wrapped barrels.... - 12/12/19
Common sense tells me the fact you can't feel the barrel heat externally tells me it is staying in the core, that can't be good for a high volume target rifle.
Now on a hunting rifle , especially with a suppressor as MCMXI points out would be a good combo.
© 24hourcampfire