Home
Posted By: BenfromNY Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
I have a couple rifles I would like to shorten the LOP on a bit. I’m thinking of replacing the recoil pads with something thin and light. I don’t really care about the recoil as it’s all 30-06 and lower. I have a couple rifles with just the hard plastic/metal/Bakelite and that seems fine. I’d rather get bruised once in a while than chop a nice stock. I figure I can lose maybe 1/2” just with that. Ideal LOP for me is probably 13”

Any advice? Specifically for a tikka, but also just in general/grind to fit.

Thanks.
Posted By: bt8897 Re: Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
These are pretty light-

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=368
Posted By: jmsdad Re: Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
Here you go....thin, very light and cheap.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7/re-flip-flop-recoil-pad-install-how-to
Posted By: Bowlseye Re: Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
I took the recoil pad off my Savage Lightweight Hunter and traced the stock on some poster paper, along with marking the holes and was able to match it up with a thin hard pad that only needed a light touch up on the belt sander. Went to a local gun show and shop around a couple of vendors that had a variety of take off's. Found one that was almost perfect fit that the holes lined right up for $5. Worked great with a little finessing.

When I fit the hard pads I mount to the stock and tape the but of the stock with the easy to remove masking tape (yellow or blue) then cover it with duct tape so I don't damage with the belt sander. Then I use the belt sander to fit the pad, slowly taking off the material till it looks good and then finish the pad with progressively finer sand wet or dry sand paper until it is smooth and no marks to see where it has been altered.

I have also cut down the LOP on plastic and wood stocks but if I can get the LOP by changing the but pad I would rather do that any day.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
I found a gunmaker here in Canada that offered Decelerators without the imbedded steel plate. I'd look for something like that.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
I have some 1/2" decelerators. They seem fairly light, way way lighter than a 1" pad, maybe a tad lighter than the solid 1/2" pads you find on some Rugers and Rem Model 7's.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
One of the High Tech Specialty stocks I had previously had a very light, very soft, 1/2" recoil pad that had an Italian name. Cannot recall the name. However, should have been perfectly comfortable for .30-06 class cartridges on down.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Thin/light recoil pads - 12/14/19
Originally Posted by Orion2000
One of the High Tech Specialty stocks I had previously had a very light, very soft, 1/2" recoil pad that had an Italian name. Cannot recall the name. However, should have been perfectly comfortable for .30-06 class cartridges on down.

Cervellati ? 2.5 oz .91" thick according to the webpage that BT8897 posted.
© 24hourcampfire