Home
Posted By: DrGnarr ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
I have a Rem 700 ADL 25-06 with a mountain rifle barrel on it. Still in the original ADL stock. Looks a bit goofy with the extra barrel channel. Anyway, I bought a mountain rifle stock with bottom metal off of here to drop it in. It doesn’t come with a magazine well or follower. Is the BDL magazine well smaller, and if so, how much? Does the ADL and BDL use the same follower?

Any thing else I need to make the conversion?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
The BDL is shorter and the ADL typically had a tab and screw in it. They're not compatible. The spring and follower can be used, typically. The key is to ensure the BDL mag box is free floating when the action screws are secure.
Posted By: Seafire Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
The BDL is shorter and the ADL typically had a tab and screw in it. They're not compatible. The spring and follower can be used, typically. The key is to ensure the BDL mag box is free floating when the action screws are secure.

I've got two ADL's that have been converted to BDL specs...

IIRC, there wasn't much to it... did both 20 plus years ago...

got the bottom metal over in White City, at Pacific Tool and Die...
Posted By: TX35W Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
Follower and spring are the same, can't remember about the box size, it's been a while. Any LA bottom metal should fit. I like the PTG canoe style, gives 1 or sometimes 2 extra rounds, but costs a but more.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
By BDL is shorter, I mean top to bottom. I guess I should have more appropriately said the ADL is deeper, but I digress.

OAL of the cartridge will be the same for both ADL or BDL.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
I've converted two over. I just bought the bottom metal off the net, one from here and the other off Ebay. Easy to do.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
You can find LA bottom metal from sources other than PTG, and I suggest you do. I had a dismal experience with PTG but fortuntely had digital records of their falsehoods so I got 100% of my money thanks to VISA.

Avoid PTG if at all possible for your bottom metal.
Posted By: DrGnarr Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
Thanks all. The stock I bought has the factory bottom metal with it. I’ll use the spring and follower from the ADL. Sounds like all I need is the magazine box. Anyone have a long action BDL magazine box they want to get rid of?
Posted By: aalf Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/15/19
Some ADL springs have a "ski tip" bend at the front. It stops the spring from digging in the stock, but makes it difficult to slide it in the slots in the floor plate.

A little persuasion with a pounder makes it relent.....
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: ADL to BDL conversion - 12/16/19
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Solid info here!
© 24hourcampfire