Home
Seems like people are awfully emotional about the 6.5 Creedmoor on here. I'm buying one because I hear it's not unpleasant to shoot and has excellent factory ammunition available, not because I think it's a miracle cartridge.

Seems like there's a lot of overlap between the creedmoor and many other non-magnum cartridges like the 7mm-08 and 270 Win - a "the deer won't know the difference" sort of situation.

At what point, as you move up the scale in terms of caliber and case size, do you start seeing a clear increase in performance on game from the creed? I'm asking because I like to have rifles that do different things and aren't very redundant.

Well if you fallow what F class is doing it would be the 7 SAUM...
Fast twist 6.5-7mm magnums.
338wm imho
6.5 Creed Barnes VorTX 120 ttsx 2900 mv
.30/06 Barnes VorTX 175 LRX 2800 mv
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

This has been my step up from the 308 family cases for a long while. Has been a few 7&300 WSMs thrown in the mix, but a 7 SAUM always sticks around.
Good question and one I've pondered myself.
50 BMG
375 H&H.

Everything 26 caliber and up is designed for the same game animals. With the right bullets any of the 6.5's and up are suitable for all but about 4-5 animals on the planet. If you want to hunt any of those 4 or 5 then it is time to move up to 375. And both the 6.5X55 and 7X57 have been used successfully to kill every animal on the planet, even those 4-5 they probably are too small to be used on. Remember WD Bell killed over 1100 elephant in his career. The 7X57 was his preferred rifle, but he also used 6.5X55 and nothing bigger than 303. Late in his life he stated that had the 308 been available that it would have probably been his favorite.
I can only speak to my experience. The 338 Fed has a more noticeable impact on elk and deer. The Creed makes them dead, no question there, but there is a visible and audible difference when a 338 bullet hits.
30-06
300 Wby
I had this conversation with a friend and he said 7mm rem mag would be a clear step up in speed and long range terminal ballistics.
Originally Posted by Sako
30-06

Pretty much. Warm 30-06 loads push 180's like warm CM loads push 140's. I'd also venture to say that a 7mm Magnum of any sort is also a fair step up as well, loaded with 160-180gr bullets.
30-06 is sort of the answer I want to hear, because I have a 30-06 already. It seems intuitive that a 30-06 shooting a good 180 grain bullet has to be a better choice on something like elk than the 6.5 shooting something in the 140 range, but I'm willing to believe that what seems intuitive to me is wrong in this case.

Thanks for the answers, everyone, keep them coming! I'm really interested to hear more of your reasons for your choices.
Any
Originally Posted by JPro
30-06

Pretty much. Warm 30-06 loads push 180's like warm CM loads push 140's. I'd also venture to say that a 7mm Magnum of any sort is also a fair step up as well, loaded with 160-180gr bullets.

Pretty well describes my attitude. I KNOW the 7 RM is a Clear step UP.

Jerry
+1 on the 7mag Jerry. I've had one around for almost 40 years.
Driving a 140g bullet like the NBT out of 7WB Mag over a 7-08 at like distances results in a noticeable impact signature upgrade on deers

No doubt there are exceptions.

Much harder on the bullet, too--wonder if it is related...:)
Originally Posted by SDblackhills
Seems like people are awfully emotional about the 6.5 Creedmoor on here. I'm buying one because I hear it's not unpleasant to shoot and has excellent factory ammunition available, not because I think it's a miracle cartridge.

Seems like there's a lot of overlap between the creedmoor and many other non-magnum cartridges like the 7mm-08 and 270 Win - a "the deer won't know the difference" sort of situation.

At what point, as you move up the scale in terms of caliber and case size, do you start seeing a clear increase in performance on game from the creed? I'm asking because I like to have rifles that do different things and aren't very redundant.

In short actions, I think that the "eliminated redundancy" step up from the 6.5CM would be the 338FED.

In long actions, the 30-06 seems like as good a place as any to start.

I don't mind redundancy and have hundreds of rifles that are chambered for dozens of redundant cartridges. l have seldom met a cartridge that I couldn't like somewhere along the spectrum from "yuck" to "wow".

One nice byproduct of the 6.5CM's popularity is that manufacturers are starting to sell factory varmint loads, making it a more useful dual-purpose round for those folks who don't reload. Federal is advertising a varmint load with the 95 grain VMax at a claimed 3,300 fps MV that would be strong coyote medicine if they are accurate in your rifle.

I don't understand the strong feelings for or against some cartridges that some folks seem to have, or why they will spend time arguing the merits of one verses another that is, objectively speaking, functionally redundant. I guess that some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing and some folks seem to feel that their way if the only way, all other ways being inferior.

My advise would be to buy a rifle chambered in 6.5CM, if that is what you're thinking of doing, and shoot it a bit, maybe 40 rounds of 5 different brands and bullet styles of factory ammo. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it. You'll spend a little money on the ammo and you may lose some money if you sell the rifle, but experience is seldom free and good experience always has a cost. Everybody is different and two people experiencing the exact same physical event may perceive it differently. If you depend on the experience of others to make your decisions, you may make a decision that is sub-optimal for you.
I'll go with the 7 mag as well. Give it the same high BC bullet for caliber that the creed has going for it & they have some great long range numbers along with a considerable "step up" in power.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't mind redundancy and have hundreds of rifles that are chambered for dozens of redundant cartridges. l have seldom met a cartridge that I couldn't like somewhere along the spectrum from "yuck" to "wow".

My advise would be to buy a rifle chambered in 6.5CM, if that is what you're thinking of doing, and shoot it a bit, maybe 40 rounds of 5 different brands and bullet styles of factory ammo. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it. You'll spend a little money on the ammo and you may lose some money if you sell the rifle, but experience is seldom free and good experience always has a cost. Everybody is different and two people experiencing the exact same physical event may perceive it differently. If you depend on the experience of others to make your decisions, you may make a decision that is sub-optimal for you.

Thanks, I only have four rifles, and I'm not looking to start a very large collection. My perspective would definitely be different if I had dozens or hundreds. And as far as letting strangers on the internet make decisions for me, that's something I read on here every now and then when people ask for advice. I have no intention of letting anyone make these choices for me, but I do like to learn from others and factor the things I learn into my decisions.

Both.are are correct and excellent reasons to buy one.

Seems like there's a lot of overlap between the creedmoor and many other non-magnum cartridges like the 7mm-08 and 270 Win - a "the deer won't know the difference" sort of situation./quote]

Correct again. The overlap starts with centerfire .22's and goes up to at least the .308 Win - and arguably higher.

[quote]At what point, as you move up the scale in terms of caliber and case size, do you start seeing a clear increase in performance on game from the creed? I'm asking because I like to have rifles that do different things and aren't very redundant.

Caliber and initial velocity (case size, generally speaking) are only two components of terminal performance. Bullet construction and range are a couple more. Hodgdon and Nosler list 2889fps and 2953fps respectively as max for a 130g bullet. Hodgdon also lists 3066fps as maximum for the Swift Scirocco II in the 6.5PRC. My 6.5-06AI runs the 130g Scirocco II at 3161fps. All those velocities are based on 24" barrels. Using the Scirocco II with those velocities and velocity and ft-lbs energy as the yardstick for destructive potential at 7000 feet altitude.

2889fps ==> 2302fps, 1530 ft-lbs @ 500 yards (6.5 CM, Hodgdon velocity)
2953fps ==> 2303fps, 1531fps @ 550 yards (6.5 CM, Noslervelocity)
2066fps ==> 2317fps, 1549ft-lbs @ 625 yards (6.5 PRC, Hodgdon load)
3161fps ==> 2313fps, 1545fps @ 700 yards (6.5-06 AI, my rifle)

Daughters .270 Win runs a Nosler 150g ABLR at 2912fps. That gives it a calculated 2132fps and 1515ft-lbs at 700 yards. My .300WM pushes a Barnes 175g LRX at 3036fps for 1974fps and 1514fpe at 825 yards and my .338WM runs a Nosler 225g AB at 2778fps for 1744fps and 1520ft-lbs at 925 yards. (These are also calculated for 7000 feet altitude.)

There is no clear-cut answer to your question, as there are simply too many variables. Comparing destructive potential (retained energy at whatever range) provides clues but the rapidity and efficiency of the transfer of that energy to the target play huge roles that cannot be ignored. Thuds bullet construction matters a great deal and one cannot assume a given bullet type with significantly different diameters and weights (say 140g 6.5mm and 225g .338" Accubond), given equal energy, will behave identically on impact.
Creedmoor=Impeachment.

Sick and tired of hearing both.
30-06 or 300 WSM on the upper end.
if your talking reloading ammo yourself and bench shooting a Norma 6 mm B.R. is better.

if your talking buying only 1 other hunting rifle a simple 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel

otherwise what other posts above me have posted,the 300 Win. Mag. is another great choice too. good luck,Pete53
If you use the 6.5CM as the basis for an "upgrade" I'd say you might want to quantify your parameters for the "step-up". You could use some mathematical benchmark such as ft./lbs of energy at 300 - 400 yards. What would be acceptable over the CM - 20% more? Would you consider a SD comparison too? Then factor in if you are capable of mastering the "upgrade"? What good is more "hitting power" if you anticipate the recoil? But as we have seen here many times, standard "deer cartridges" take larger N.A. big game quite effectively. Good luck.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
If you use the 6.5CM as the basis for an "upgrade" I'd say you might want to quantify your parameters for the "step-up". You could use some mathematical benchmark such as ft./lbs of energy at 300 - 400 yards. What would be acceptable over the CM - 20% more? Would you consider a SD comparison too? Then factor in if you are capable of mastering the "upgrade"? What good is more "hitting power" if you anticipate the recoil? But as we have seen here many times, standard "deer cartridges" take larger N.A. big game quite effectively. Good luck.

I figured people can interpret the question how they want. I'm still learning about ft/lbs energy and whether or not that is an effective measurement of killing power. From what I've been reading, what makes a cartridge effective is a combination of velocity and bullet construction - pretty much whether a bullet can do what it's designed to do at its velocity when it hits game. I'm still figuring out what role the caliber of a bullet plays in this whole thing. I know that "bullets matter more than headstamps," but surely caliber matters as well?

Originally Posted by Bighorn
Creedmoor=Impeachment.

That's why I put "6.5 Creedmoor" in the title - so that people don't have to click on it. So far, this discussion has been a little more insightful (for me, at least) than some of the other threads about the Creedmoor, but I get that it feels like this topic is being done to death and there's nothing new to be said.
A clear step up in my opinion is a .280 Rem or .30-06 with a high BC bullet. My choice for a real upgrade is a 7mm Weatherby. Happy Trails
223AI
It depends on what you mean by "clear step up". If you mean that the upper end of the useful range of capability is noticeably above that of the Creedmoor, then somewhere around 7 mm Mags shooting 150 gr bullets faster than 3000 fps. If you mean no overlap between the top of the useful range of the Creedmoor and the bottom of the range of the other, then I would guess somewhere around a 338 Win Mag.
Creedmoor=Impeachment.

Amen
Maybe there should be a 6.5 Creedmoor sub forum. Or even two - one for fans, one for haters.
6.5 Creedmoor did nothing for me and I tried to like it after owning a couple. IMO the 6.5 PRC is what the CM should have been from the beginning. 3000 ish FPS with 140 class high BC bullets in affordable factory ammo in a short action with little to no recoil is pretty damn impressive. And easily exceeding 3000 FPS with same or even heavier bullets when reloading is where it’s at. I expect many more flavors of factory ammo in it available this coming year as well. I’ve still got several 30 cal rifles but they are boring and unenjoyable to shoot. The PRC is a tack driving SOB that you could shoot all day.
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
6.5 Creedmoor did nothing for me and I tried to like it after owning a couple. IMO the 6.5 PRC is what the CM should have been from the beginning. 3000 ish FPS with 140 class high BC bullets in affordable factory ammo in a short action with little to no recoil is pretty damn impressive. And easily exceeding 3000 FPS with same or even heavier bullets when reloading is where it’s at. I expect many more flavors of factory ammo in it available this coming year as well. I’ve still got several 30 cal rifles but they are boring and unenjoyable to shoot. The PRC is a tack driving SOB that you could shoot all day.

What about the Creedmoor made you not like it after owning one? Did it let you down on a hunt?
Who cares, life is too short for such trivial matters. I say shoot what you want and the rest will fall into place.
SD

It just seemed blah to me, I didn’t feel like it really outperformed so many other cartridges. Factory ammo at 2570 with 147’s , 2720 with 143’s reloaded , just didn’t horn me up if that makes sense. No knocks on it if it works for others but it was just boring to me personally.
.264 Win Mag or a 7mm Rem Mag.

The various .338s from Federal to .338-378 are a very noticeable step up.
I bought a Fieldcraft 6.5 CM a couple years ago and like everything about it. Been telling myself over the past year I should sell off a bunch of rifles that don't get used much, buy a Fieldcraft 30-06 and call it good for all the hunting I do. Seems to be a consensus here along that line of thinking...

7 saum is for sure a step up

..............Well in terms of only 6.5 mm rounds, then I would consider the following to be a quite a step up from the Creed in the 6.5mm field. The 6.5/284 Norma, 6.5 PRC, 264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler and followed lastly by the most powerful commercially offered 6.5 mm cartridge, the 6.5/300 Weatherby.

From the .277 caliber, the 270 WSM and 270 Wby. Both quite a step from the Creedy.....Ok. Some may also include the good "ol 270 Win.

From the 7mms; the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Wby, 28 Nosler, 7mm RUM.....And same applies with these as well. Quite a step up from the Creed.

I think you’d have to go to a magnum cartridge to gain much of any of the “standard” rounds. Including the 6.5

Thanks, I only have four rifles, and I'm not looking to start a very large collection. My perspective would definitely be different if I had dozens or hundreds. And as far as letting strangers on the internet make decisions for me, that's something I read on here every now and then when people ask for advice. I have no intention of letting anyone make these choices for me, but I do like to learn from others and factor the things I learn into my decisions.

If I only had 4 center-fire rifles and I lived in SD, one would be a heavy barreled colony varmint rifle and the other 3 would be the same make, model, and configuration. A couple of years ago I put together a 3-rifle set of stainless Ruger Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5CM, and 338FED that I bedded in McM Hunter style stocks that are non-redundant steps in terms of "power" and hunting niches.
Glad to hear that my 30-06 hasn’t been rendered obsolete.

I figured people can interpret the question how they want. I'm still learning about ft/lbs energy and whether or not that is an effective measurement of killing power. From what I've been reading, what makes a cartridge effective is a combination of velocity and bullet construction - pretty much whether a bullet can do what it's designed to do at its velocity when it hits game. I'm still figuring out what role the caliber of a bullet plays in this whole thing. I know that "bullets matter more than headstamps," but surely caliber matters as well?

You are ahead of the game compared to a lot of folks.

Velocity and bullet construction, including mass (which with velocity at impact determines a bullet’s maximum destructive potential), are important. So is a bullet’s expansion characteristics, which are determined by construction and characteristics of target encountered.

When hunting elk, I prefer my .338WM to my .258 Roberts an probably any 6.5CM load available. Diameter is part of the reason because the .338 expands wider. At the end of the day, though, what matters is how much energy is transferred to the target, the time frame in which that transfer occurs and where that transfer occurs. The goal is to accelerate flesh and bone past its limits of elasticity. There is no magic calculator for determining what you want to know.
I'm with AC on this- the 6.5 Creed seemed really blahs. I appreciate the soft recoil but AM not particularly recoil shy till you get into 30 ft/lbs of recoil. A 7-08 seems like a better mousetrap, factory offerings aside. I've been looking at the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 SAUM before that. I could like 3000 ft/sec with a 140ish bewlit. But that seems to be plain jain 270 Win territory.

I've been pondered a new build and have run way too many ballistic numbers. I like lowish recoil, high BC bewlits with integrity, and lightweight rifles. The looney in me is screaming to rebarrel one of my LA Kimbers to plain ol' 280 Rem with a 22 or 23" tube and be done with it. The Mod 84 Lilja contour is very nice.

On what sized game?

From my experience with everything from 223 up to 300 mag on whitetails if hit in the same spot with either a 55 grain or 180 grain results are the same, a dead deer pretty fuggin fast.

Never shot any critters larger or tougher than deer though.
Originally Posted by Brad

Agree. If I'm stepping up from the creedmoor. I am doing so in both bore diameter and case capacity. Thus if I need more than the little 6.5 CM I reach for the 300 WSM.
338 Fed in short action
( can't believe they are not more popular) 225gr bullet ... good for anything...
san's dangerous game ( Cape Buffalo and such )

270 Win in a long action ..
amazing cartridge ..merits go forever
My experience, with deer size game...I really see a difference when stepping up in speed.

I've had great results from .243, 6.5s, 270s and .308s. Mostly with heavy for caliber bullets. All have killed very well, mostly went down in sight or where they stood with good placement. No clear difference between any of them.

Fast .22 cals and 7mm mags with light bullets had a noticeably bigger effect.
Originally Posted by JMR40

Remember WD Bell killed over 1100 elephant in his career. The 7X57 was his preferred rifle, but he also used 6.5X55
and nothing bigger than 303. Late in his life he stated that had the 308 been available that it would have probably been his favorite.

some corrections;

.256 Frazer Mannlicher carbine was (in Bells own words) his preferred rifle. If not for the misfires and troublesome necks
on the Austrian [Steyr] rounds he would have continued to use such, rather than swap out for his Mauser .275 bore
with ultra reliable DWM ammunition.

For elephant- He used rifles from .450cal down, .350 Rigby, 318WR, .303, .275, .256

He stated his Lee .303 was an excellent elephant rifle.

He stated his Lee .303 was his most reliable rifle in harsh conditions.

He stated that .318/250 grain was his most reliable performer on elephant.
on average it maintained a straighter penetration track than .275 bore.

.256 solids were prone to bending, while .275 solids were not.

Although the .318WR projectile performed great on elephant, the actual ammunition was of less than desirable quality,
causing him pressure spike problems, blowbacks, misfires, and extraction problems. Hence why he writes that he uses
his SxS .318 shooting cormorants simply to burn up his large stash of .318 ammunition.

IF .256 and .318 ammunition quality had not become an issue, the Mauser .275 would have been just another in the mix
of well suitable rifles Bell used, without any extra special history. ..but having stuck to using .275 bore for a number of years
[after dropping the .256], and thus purchasing some 1/2 dozen Rigby mauser .275 bore rifles over those years, history was
forged by circumstance. [ie;] had .275 bore DWM ammunition proved in some way unreliable like those other rounds,
there would not be a standout Bell /Rigby 7x57 story to tell, we instead would be talking about his Lee .303 with its reliable
military ammunition and all the elephants he dropped with it.

Assuming you are talking about BG hunting then a “clear step up” is .... a 375 H&H. Combined with a 6.5CM and a thick checkbook you could get a lot done.
At what point, as you move up the scale in terms of caliber and case size, do you start seeing a clear increase in performance on game from the creed?

What game and what is an increase in performance? You can move DOWN in caliber and case and get the same or better "performance" on "game" depending on variables. The cm is no better at killing deer sized critters than is a .260, 6.5x55, 7-08, Grendel, and many, many others. Possibly even a .270 Winchester or .223 AI. I can tell you for a fact that on a given day I saw a 7x57 with 140gr out perform a .340 Weatherby with whatever low weight Ballistic Tip Weatherby used to load. A pie plate entry with the .340 and the <100lb doe ran across a green field. 7x57 with Accubond on a 140ish lb buck that took a step and fell downhill about 12 feet. Which cartridge was "up the scale"? And I can give you similar stories about .270 Weatherby Mag vs 7-08, .260, .243...............

The 6.5 cm was not introduced to make up for the lack of killing power of any cartridge. Again, for deer sized game and probably up and down that "scale" some, there's plenty of chamberings that are no better or worse than their stable mates; the 6.5 cm being one. But I am hearing factories are starting to secretly load duplex powder loads with 1 to 2 grains of pixie dust between main charge and the primer for both the 6 and 6.5 cm. That's the real magic, not the headstamp.

.416 Rigby
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Agree. If I'm stepping up from the creedmoor. I am doing so in both bore diameter and case capacity. Thus if I need more than the little 6.5 CM I reach for the 300 WSM.

I’d agree, even though I don’t have either. 300 WSM / 300 WM.

Old skool 243 & 30-06 here...with a 270 for giggles.
I am of the opinion 30-06 to 338 caliber being a clear step up.

I have a couple of Creedmoors, and really enjoy them. Am I emotionally attached to them? Heck no. But I enjoy all of my rifles from 222 to 416.

I will admit to having an attachment to the 270 Win and 338-06, and disdain for the 243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag. crazy
A .284” 180 ELD at ~3000 fps is a clear step up.
I use my 6.5 CM mainly for it's accuracy when deer hunting at ranges up to 350 yards. That is for the lighter deer species like the average red deer, sika deer and fallow. Case in point, a couple of weeks back I had to take a difficult 200 plus yard shot on a sika stag which are about the size of a WT buck. I could only see his lower neck up and his hind quarter on one side. I knew that the Creed would place the 143 ELD-X where I aimed and so it was. Instant kill, through the base of the neck.

I use my .308 with 180gr Norma Oryx for close in (under 50 yards) on large heavy bodied red stags during the roar (rut). They can sometimes come running in at you and you haven't got time for fancy bullet placement. My hunting buddy prefers his .338/06 AI for large stags.
Originally Posted by Buckeye
338 Fed in short action
( can't believe they are not more popular) 225gr bullet ... good for anything...

I'm surprised too..... KINDA.

Even tho I haven't had one, I've checked it out pretty well. I like it very much on paper.

IMO it's much better than a 358 Win, which I've had several.
I'm really not much of a 308 case fan BUT I think the 338 F is first Class.

Now this is MY opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.
It seems to me that the 338 F came on the scene LATE - 2006 and IMO the 'hunting' public was/is not on top of
the ballistic scene. -- The 6.5 C has the competition background PLUS marketing HYPE so....

The 'hunting public' already had/have lots of options in the S A 08 case so.... another one ?

In my personal experience KNOWING lots of deer club members ( 3 large membership leases ) not many are interested in the "creed", I have met ONLY 1 hunter who knew what a 6.5X55 was *** he's dead now ***, not too many even use the 308 *shock* I have known VERY FEW deer hunters carrying a 308, most of those want 'velocity' (including me).

I think MOST would HAVE to admit the 338 F doesn't have a great trajectory so.....

Remember I LIKE the 338 F, these are my opinions.

Jerry

Originally Posted by DigitalDan

.416 Rigby

Yup. smile
280 Rem - 35 Whelen both work well and are a "step-up"
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

I’d agree, even though I don’t have either. 300 WSM / 300 WM.

Old skool 243 & 30-06 here...with a 270 for giggles.

The 300 WSM is a Creedmoor on steroids. Great cartridges both.
Judging by some of the detractors of the CM, let's not forget why and how it was developed. It was supposed to be the next best 1000 yard, paper puncher.
The genesis of it was printed in the Rifleman or Am. Hunter. After in that arena for about 10 years, it transitioned over to hunting.
Judging by some of the detractors of the CM, let's not forget why and how it was developed. It was supposed to be the next best 1000 yard, paper puncher.
The genesis of it was printed in the Rifleman or Am. Hunter. After in that arena for about 10 years, it transitioned over to hunting.

And the 300 WSM has been a staple of the 1000 yard game.

Come to think of it, sort of miss one of my many Kimber Montana's with 300 WSM engraved on the barrel..............lots of elk have gone into the freezer on account of it.

Come to think of it, sort of miss one of my many Kimber Montana's with 300 WSM engraved on the barrel..............lots of elk have gone into the freezer on account of it.

I think mine took a few....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A step up from Creed? 30-30 AI, 30 Remington, 35 Rem, 32 Rem., 30-40 Krag, 22 Hornet, 17 Hornet...…………………….
Funny, I was looking at another Kimber 300 WSM today on GB. With Talleys and a NF SHV, I'd expect it to go 7.65 lbs. My previous 300 WSM (M70 EW) killed 2 bulls and it was pretty decisive. It weighed too much over 8lbs for my liking. I bought an early Montana in 300 WSM and it fed rough plus with a 3-9 VX2 and Talley's recoiled more than I liked - but that was just before my shoulder surgery for a torn labrum. I hate this time of year..................
The creedmoor design in both 6.5 and 6 varieties does have a lot of things going for it and was really a good design and marketing idea from the beginning. I have had a couple different ones and they have shot well they just didn’t do anything different than some other calibers I already owned. I know have a set of matching 700 remingtons 243 and 308 with the same scopes, triggers, and mcmillan edge stocks. They cover the gamut of the hunting that I do.

A clear step up for most hunting ranges would be a 30-06 with heavy bullets or a big 30 cal magnum. They hit hard and will be harder hitting than a creedmoor. The big 7mms slinging 180 grain bullets are tough to knock as well.
Yes, I remember that photo Brad - a classic winter hunt. The only thing missing are the snowshoes!

bwinters - I echo your sentiment on many elk successes but a body now that isn't as youthful as it once was - at least on the bench. With a little judicious loading, the 300WSM with a 165 grain would be kinder. The 300WSM's can be a little "rough" due to the shoulder angle. Hmmmm.................
Not a hater, but I found this video interesting:

The answer to the original question is: The .308 Winchester, the greatest rifle cartridge in the universe.

Originally Posted by JPro
30-06

That is pretty much where I am. 6.5 CM w/127 LRX and .30-06 w/168 TTSX.

Expat
Thanks everyone for the replies - this has been a really interesting read. Sounds like with a creedmoor and with my 30-06 shooting 180s, I should have pretty much everything covered from antelope to whitetails to elk. And it seems like either one can be pressed into service for any of the big game hunting I’m likely to do.
Absolutely!
Finally, a thread has a resolution.
I would say a 270 Weatherby or any 7mag
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I ALMOST didn't watch the vid, but I did. I was surprised at their assessment.
Thanks for posting.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Blacktail308
The answer to the original question is: The .308 Winchester, the greatest rifle cartridge in the universe.

ha, Why don't you start a thread with THAT title?

Jerry
300wsm.
Easier to load em down than up. 200 grainers at 2900..
Call me outdated, but the .30 Gov’t 06 (200s at 2730), .270 Win (150s at 3050), and .300 Win Mag (200s at 3000) pretty much leave the 6.5 Creedmoor at the curb for what I do.
Originally Posted by jwall

I ALMOST didn't watch the vid, but I did. I was surprised at their assessment.
Thanks for posting.

Jerry

At close range that 300fps advantage looks like it results in a noticeable increase in the violence of the impact.

As a hunter (not a long range shooter) I like that.
My main two hunting rifles are a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .30-06, so I guess that would be my answer. I see the CreedBro as a deer cartridge that will work for elk, and the .30-06 as an elk cartridge that's a bit heavy (but obviously will still work) for deer.

I used 127gr LRX in my 6.5 to take my cow at 375 yds this year, one down through the high shoulder clipping the bottom of the spine, and another through the neck, both hit a good bit of bone, wrecked a bunch of stuff and exited. Same with a 140gr Accubond through the ribs two years ago, two holes, nice damage in between. On the other hand, I caught both of the 180gr Accubonds from my .30-06 in last year's cow at 320yds. Not sure why I see the .30-06 as the next step up, I didn't get as much penetration, but the effect of those 180s hitting was immediately apparent, and the damage they caused was impressive. I might give 200gr ABs or 168gr TTSX/LRX a try next year, I like seeing two holes.
If your hunting style gives you time to slip on some hearing protection, I think a braked 300 wsm in Kimber Mt would be a great rifle. I have one and I just don’t enjoy shooting it. It’s either getting a brake or getting sold.

Originally Posted by bwinters
Funny, I was looking at another Kimber 300 WSM today on GB. With Talleys and a NF SHV, I'd expect it to go 7.65 lbs. My previous 300 WSM (M70 EW) killed 2 bulls and it was pretty decisive. It weighed too much over 8lbs for my liking. I bought an early Montana in 300 WSM and it fed rough plus with a 3-9 VX2 and Talley's recoiled more than I liked - but that was just before my shoulder surgery for a torn labrum. I hate this time of year..................
I hear ya. I buy a 300 WSM in some flavor every 4-5 years, load 180s to 2950 or so and decide it's a bit much in lightish rifles. After re-evaluating my current 280 AI load (160 Accubond at 2950), its damn close to the 300 WSM in all categories with enough less recoil to make it a better mousetrap for my style of hunting. Inside 300 yards, my 338 Federal (210 Partition at 2600) covers the 300 WSM ground - again with tolerable recoil. I'm getting soft in my old age......
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
I had this conversation with a friend and he said 7mm rem mag would be a clear step up in speed and long range terminal ballistics.

Of all the short-fat craze I believe the 7mm SAUM is the best designed. It is the one with a sufficient neck for heavy bullet proper seating. I think that might be one reason it hangs on.
Originally Posted by Calvin
If your hunting style gives you time to slip on some hearing protection, I think a braked 300 wsm in Kimber Mt would be a great rifle. I have one and I just don’t enjoy shooting it. It’s either getting a brake or getting sold.

Calvin, remember giving me a raft of chit for getting scoped by my Kimber MT 300 WSM with two quick shots off-hand under field conditions?

Maybe it makes a little more sense to you now... and yes, the above dead bull (180 Partitions) was the result.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

.416 Rigby

Yup. smile

I actually used one I had to shoot coyotes out my bedroom window. I shot 350gr Speer varmint bullets. It was good practice with a rifle used seldom and then only for big-nasties.

I'm not a Creedmore fan, nor am I a detractor. It's a good round and especially for kids, women, and recoil conscious shooters of any stripe. I like a 6.5, and mine was first developed 125 years ago.
I recall it being a bit different than that but I certainly am not going to look it up.

Merry Christmas

Calvin, remember giving me a raft of chit for getting scoped by my Kimber MT 300 WSM with two quick shots off-hand under field conditions?

Maybe it makes a little more sense to you now... and yes, the above dead bull (180 Partitions) was the result.
A 300 mag.

Originally Posted by bwinters

Are suppressors legal in AK Calvin.....grin....
Invest in one, seriously....
Originally Posted by joshf303

[quote=bwinters]Funny, I was looking at another Kimber 300 WSM today on GB. With Talleys and a NF SHV, I'd expect it to go 7.65 lbs. My previous 300 WSM (M70 EW) killed 2 bulls and it was pretty decisive. It weighed too much over 8lbs for my liking. I bought an early Montana in 300 WSM and it fed rough plus with a 3-9 VX2 and Talley's recoiled more than I liked - but that was just before my shoulder surgery for a torn labrum. I hate this time of year..................

I really want to go that route, but, Local FFL ain’t interested. I would have to travel off island to do paperwork.

Put it this way, I won't be selling my 308 & 7mm/08 to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Not to muddy the water too much, but I tagged two cows with a Montana 325 WSM with 200's. I don't recall that being as punchy as my 300 WSM with 180's - but that was 10+ years ago and memories sometimes fade.
Originally Posted by moosemike
Creedmoor=Impeachment.

Amen

And AMEN !!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Buckeye
338 Fed in short action

I'm surprised too..... KINDA.

I think MOST would HAVE to admit the 338 F doesn't have a great trajectory so.....

I really like my 6.5 Creedmoor (Barrett Fieldcraft) and my 338 Fed (84M). Surprisingly, my 338 Fed hunting load of 160 TTSXs shoots flatter than my 6.5 hunting load with 139 Scenars at any range I intend to shoot (<500, likely much less). That’s for 9k elevation where I’m Muley hunting. The 6.5 is rather better on windage however. If I use the 127 LRX load at 2940fps the trajectory is nearly identical. I am not making a case for the 338 Fed as a long range cartridge, it’s not, but for more typical ranges it’s not as bad as many seem to believe.

But the 338 is a clear step up when shooting elk at moderate ranges.
I’d say any cartridge that pushes a .700 G1 bullet of 160 gr or more at 3000fps or faster.

John
I hunt deer. My three "go to" cartridges(in no particular order)are,
6.5 CM, 143 ELDX
30-06, 180 Accubond
7 SAUM, 160 Accobond

All three have dropped deer in their tracks. Shoot what you want and be happy!
Originally Posted by prm

I really like my 6.5 Creedmoor (Barrett Fieldcraft) and my 338 Fed (84M). Surprisingly, my 338 Fed hunting load of 160 TTSXs shoots flatter than my 6.5 hunting load with 139 Scenars at any range I intend to shoot (<500, likely much less). That’s for 9k elevation where I’m Muley hunting. The 6.5 is rather better on windage however. If I use the 127 LRX load at 2940fps the trajectory is nearly identical. I am not making a case for the 338 Fed as a long range cartridge, it’s not, but for more typical ranges it’s not as bad as many seem to believe.

But the 338 is a clear step up when shooting elk at moderate ranges.

Seriously you may be right, I don't know off the cuff.

OR

The 6.5 C ain't that good ! whistle laugh laugh

I'll take you word on it. The C doesn't do anything for me since I have a 70 in 6.5X55, and rifles larger and smaller than the
338 F. Remember I said "I like the 338 F" and I'm not critical.

That is interesting to me.

Merry Christmas

Jerry
Originally Posted by joshf303

This has been my step up from the 308 family cases for a long while. Has been a few 7&300 WSMs thrown in the mix, but a 7 SAUM always sticks around.

Once I get my 7 RSAUM up & running there will soon be a 280 AI Borden/Lilja/Kampfeld/McMillan custom for sale.
I’ve been partial to the 260 since 1998

I will say thanks to the 6.5 CM for breathing life into sadly a dying caliber. 6.5 Swed etc as well. Many more reloading components now to choose from.

One thing that’s been hard for me to break is actually using a 6.5 on big game. Only used my 260 once on a whitetail cull buck.

I’ve always been a 7mm/30 caliber guy and using heavy for caliber bullets.

Yes the 6.5 CM doesn’t produce much recoil, but if you use a larger caliber with the same BC or higher, it’ll outperform the 6.5 CM especially with similar or higher velocities.

I’d grab my 270, 270 WSM or 270 Roy before I’d ever grab my 260 or 6.5 CM for anything larger than deer in my opinion.
Originally Posted by addicted

I will say thanks to the 6.5 CM for breathing life into sadly a dying caliber. 6.5 Swed etc as well. Many more reloading components now to choose from.

One thing that’s been hard for me to break is actually using a 6.5 on big game. Only used my 260 once on a whitetail cull buck.

Yes the 6.5 CM doesn’t produce much recoil, but if you use a larger caliber with the same BC or higher, it’ll outperform the 6.5 CM especially with similar or higher velocities.

I’d grab my 270, 270 WSM or 270 Roy before I’d ever grab my 260 or 6.5 CM for anything larger than deer in my opinion.

6.5 Swede a dying caliber?

News to me.
Originally Posted by bluestem
Originally Posted by addicted

6.5 Swede a dying caliber?

News to me.

For a lot it is unless you reload. Most only buy a rifle they can buy ample factory loads for...
Get a Micro bastard brake

Lefty C
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Once I get my 7 RSAUM up & running there will soon be a 280 AI Borden/Lilja/Kampfeld/McMillan custom for sale.

Just curious. Is there a compelling argument for the 7 RSAUM over the 7mm WSM?
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

A good supply of quality brass?

David
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

A good supply of quality brass?

David

This....and neck length if that’s a concern to you.
Gen 1 or 2?

Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Get a Micro bastard brake

Lefty C
I would contend that a 140 gr 6.5mm cartridge would be quite adequate for up to elk, I have used 308 Win, 338 WM and 444 Marlin. The latter two made much more of an impression, but the 308 Win was rock solid. Many have said an 06 would be the next logical step but I would say any .33 caliber cartridge would be a better jump.
© 24hourcampfire