Home
Two of them! Going for Yukon moose in 21 so I dropped hints in the household and my Wife AND son came through..
A pair of Weathermarks in 340 (scoped) and 7mm Weatherby magnum respectively. I ordered a Meopta 4.5X14X44 BDC from Doug ....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You are blessed, merry Christmas
Very Nice
Excellent jorgeI.. I have both calibers.. Love both.. My 7mm is a real screamer... Haven't shot it much lately, but it has killed a lot of game from coyotes through moose..
My .340 has taken whitetails, antelope, coyotes, and of course elk.. Enjoy!!!!!!
Thanks, guys. I've had both calibers in the past, but sold them a few years back. Still have plenty of brass and pills, so I'm all set. The 340 I got "early" (this month) so I've shot it and its like all weatherbys, a tack driver. The 7 was a complete surprise!
The 340 is a sweet rig
jorge---- NO Tikka ? whistle

What the hey !! confused

grin grin laugh laugh

Merry Christmas

Jerry
Sweet! Looks like more than enough moose medicine to me.
Damn buddy!!! That’s a hellava pair right there!!! Ain’t nothing you couldn’t do in the world with those 2!!! Grats and merry Christmas
Saaawwweeeetttt!
A well matched set of big’uns!!!!
That’s awesome.... having a wife that actually listens and gets you something you’ll actually love and use.

Mine after 16 years still can’t catch on...

What do you want? A gun or scope;... here’s some socks or shirt 🙄
Very nice. Enjoy
Jorge you better keep that gal ! Merry Christmas
GreggH
Awesome.
Good score!

Sooooo...which one are you taking Moose hunting? I know they'll both work....
You didja book with Jorge?
Congrats! Two very nice guns!
Nice rifles!
Probably going with 340, we are doing a "float" trip. My friend's son from the TV show Savage Outdoors is lining it up, and lots of bears around so... I'll get the name of the outfitter when I talk to him and let you guys know. He's done it twice for the Tv show and both times taken real nice moose. He said they saw moose every day and lots of bears too. Once you bag your moose and bag it, you call in on the Sat phone for an airlift. It's a ten day hunt. Here's this year's kill

Hell of a pair!!
Looking forward to the future Moose and rifle pics.

Ok... it’s hard not to be Jealous - What do they weight ?
I think 7 lb.
What a Christmas.
Congratulations. 😊👍
I heard the Creedmoor is mo betta moose medicine.

In all seriousness I’ve always wanted a .340 that’ll be awesome!
Have always been a fan of the 340.
Beautiful pair of rifles Jorge, you are blessed. I like the fact that the 7mm Weatherby magnum rifles now have a 1 in 8.5" twist, I think that the older rifles had a 1 in 10" twist. If I were to buy a Weatherby rifle, I woukd get a Mark V in 300 or 7mm.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Probably going with 340, we are doing a "float" trip. My friend's son from the TV show Savage Outdoors is lining it up, and lots of bears around so... I'll get the name of the outfitter when I talk to him and let you guys know. He's done it twice for the Tv show and both times taken real nice moose. He said they saw moose every day and lots of bears too. Once you bag your moose and bag it, you call in on the Sat phone for an airlift. It's a ten day hunt. Here's this year's kill

Congrats on your new rifles Jorge, sounds like the perfect tool for the job. The sat phone fly out call is no bueno smile , you need to enjoy the rest of the float, take a fishin pole catch some fish..... wink
Christmas

Holy Outhouse Mouse--what a pair........
Good on you Jorge!
Lucky! sweet!
I just always hope for another one with "She who must be obeyed." Be Well, Rustyzipper.
7mm Wby??!! Right on, man.
Nicely done.
Always been kinda fascinated by the 340 wby. I like my 338wm but a 340 wby just seems freaking awesome!

Best of luck with the rifles and your hunt.
Well lads, there is a first time for everything. I've purchased the first Weatherby rifle that does not shoot and its the 7mm Weatherby. The 340 shoots half MOA(posted previously on another thread, like every other Weatherby I've ever owned, shoots half MOA three shot groups), but I can't get the 7 to shoot less than 2.75" with factory or my time proven loads. I used factory 154gr Hornadys and hand loaded 140 TTSXs and 160 Partitions and it made for erratic patterns.

So I called Weatherby and although they agreed to look at it (noshit!) they did inform me there would be a 195 dollar "range fee" for testing. Suffice it to say, I am not happy *I* have to pay for their mistake. I was very nice to the guy on the phone, but did ask if Weatherby was going to be at the Dallas Safari Club convention this week and he said yes. They have no idea of what's coming when I get there.... I'm betting I get it done for free... AND make them pay for the shipping to. I'll keep you guys posted, but Weatherby haters, REJOICE!
New scope?
Originally Posted by mathman
New scope?

That was my first inclination, but swapped scopes and identical dogshit groups
Possibly not a good fit between the barrel and the speed bump in the stock?
I'm not getting your question, math
Well lads, there is a first time for everything. I've purchased the first Weatherby rifle that does not shoot and its the 7mm Weatherby. The 340 shoots half MOA(posted previously on another thread, like every other Weatherby I've ever owned, shoots half MOA three shot groups), but I can't get the 7 to shoot less than 2.75" with factory or my time proven loads. I used factory 154gr Hornadys and hand loaded 140 TTSXs and 160 Partitions and it made for erratic patterns.

So I called Weatherby and although they agreed to look at it (noshit!) they did inform me there would be a 195 dollar "range fee" for testing. Suffice it to say, I am not happy *I* have to pay for their mistake. I was very nice to the guy on the phone, but did ask if Weatherby was going to be at the Dallas Safari Club convention this week and he said yes. They have no idea of what's coming when I get there.... I'm betting I get it done for free... AND make them pay for the shipping to. I'll keep you guys posted, but Weatherby haters, REJOICE!

They changed the twist rate on the 7mm Weatherby did they not? That might be the problem. I love weatherby's but some of the things they do make me shake my head.
I don't know elk, but I ran the gambit from 140 to 160 gr...

I haven't had a new Weatherby in quite a while, so maybe I've missed a transition to free floating. But when I was a buyer they had a pressure point bedding system, even my original Fibermark with the McMillan stock. Campfire slang is a speedbump.

I never had a problem with my MkV rifles, but I have tightened up groups for pressure point bedded rifles of other makes that had an iffy fit between barrel and stock at that spot. A few wraps of tape took out the shot-to-shot inconsistency in pressure being applied.
1:8.5

I haven't had a new Weatherby in quite a while, so maybe I've missed a transition to free floating. But when I was a buyer they had a pressure point bedding system, even my original Fibermark with the McMillan stock. Campfire slang is a speedbump.

I never had a problem with my MkV rifles, but I have tightened up groups for pressure point bedded rifles of other makes that had an iffy fit between barrel and stock at that spot. A few wraps of tape took out the shot-to-shot inconsistency in pressure being applied.

Maybe so, but it's their guarantee of sub MOA I'm holding them to. I've probably owned two dozen Weatherbys in my life and this is a first. Very disappointing.
They need to hold up their end. I'm just thinking diagnostics out loud.
I'm pretty steamed
I don't know elk, but I ran the gambit from 140 to 160 gr...

I have owned 3 7mm Bees and every last one has been a shooter. Something is not right, send it back.
It's one of the first batch of 500 rifles out of Wyoming. Hope they didn't goon something up!
It's one of the first batch of 500 rifles out of Wyoming. Hope they didn't goon something up!

Anything is possible it is man made.
They need to shitcan that big diagnostic range fee BS posthaste. Weatherby markets the MkV as a premium product and I don't see their desired clientele putting up with that kind of stuff.
Because we let it happen. It used to be, every Weatherby rifle came with a target. They dropped that a few years ago, but then again I gather there were not many issues with accuracy. So now they have this new horseshit called "Range Certified" which provides a target (that costs an extra 500 bucks) to what they used to give you for free. as as you say, it is a premium product.
Jorge,

a 1:8.5” likely will do better with a heavier/longer bullet based on a lot of testing I did with 7 WSM loads for long range match shooting. Try a 168 - 180 grain bullet first before making a final decision. I used a 1:9” in 7 WSM’s, which produced best accuracy with 175 - 180’s in lead match bullets and mediocre groups with full power loads with bullets lighter than 160 in conventional cup and core bullets.

In Barnes, the 150 TTSX is longer, which is the factor which really is related to twist rate, and yet light to keep recoil down while providing high velocities Weatherby shooters like.

I also encountered bullets spinning out of jackets above 3200 fps in faster twist barrels. So perhaps try starting at lower velocity with the Partitions. A bonded bullet like an Accubond might better handle the higher velocity and twist rate if you like them. I ran a few tests runs with the 160 Accubond at a 1,000 just for the sake of trying them, and they could produce 2 MOA 10 shots groups at 1,000, which is not too bad for a “hunting” bullet.

The 7 Weatherby has enough more than enough muscle to push the heavy bullets at optimal velocities.

With the Sub-MOA guarantee, the range fee is absurd and likely a breach of their warranty.

Good luck, sorry for the frustrating new rifle. Hope it sorts out soon.
jeff: I also tried the 175gr Hornady, not a particularly long bullet, but I figured the Partition (160) would work, but all of them shot patterns. I have no idea what the issue could be. Action torque setting were to specs (55in/lb) no apparent barrel to stock contact and proven loads in other 7 Weatherbys as well as two different scopes.
The older barrels were 1:9, then again Weatherby should state that up front. I sent the rifle back already. Once it gets back, I will try the 150 TTXs I suppose. this is what they currently market:

Bullet Type Ballistic Coefficient @ Muzzle 100 Yards 200 Yards 300 Yards 400 Yards 500 Yards
120 Grain TTSX 0.373 3430 3148 2884 2635 2399 2176
140 Grain TTSX 0.412 3250 3007 2776 2557 2349 2150
150 Grain Ballistic Tip 0.493 3300 3093 2896 2708 2527 2353
154 Grain Spire Point 0.433 3260 3028 2807 2597 2397 2206
160 Grain Partition 0.475 3200 2991 2791 2600 2417 2241
175 Grain Spire Point 0.462 3070 2861 2662 2471 2288 2113
1:8.5" twist shouldn't cause this kind of problem.
Well, here is their guarantee:

GUARANTEED SUB-MOA ACCURACY
All Mark V® rifles are guaranteed to shoot a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards (SUB-MOA) from a cold barrel when used with Weatherby® factory or premium ammunition.

https://weatherby.com/rifles/mark-v/

It should run with their ammo and they should honor their warranty.
1:8.5" twist shouldn't cause this kind of problem.

No sir. My 1-8 Mashburn shoots everything from 120 to 195 pretty well. I’d bet the guns just sick.

Weren’t the older 7 Wbys a 1-10?
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Well, here is their guarantee:

GUARANTEED SUB-MOA ACCURACY
All Mark V® rifles are guaranteed to shoot a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards (SUB-MOA) from a cold barrel when used with Weatherby® factory or premium ammunition.

https://weatherby.com/rifles/mark-v/

It should run with their ammo.

It will make for some lively discussion at the Dallas convention this week. I'll have two, big shot Dallas attorneys with me that also happen to be Weatherby owners....
I’d take targets and show ‘em. Also take some targets with nice groups from the 340 just to show them you can deal with the recoil and it’s not the nut behind the bolt 😀

I’ve used the 175 Nosler and IMR-7828 at a little over 3000fps in a rifle from ‘80-‘81 time frame with no problems.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I’d take targets and show ‘em. Also take some targets with nice groups from the 340 just to show them you can deal with the recoil and it’s not the nut behind the bolt 😀

I’ve used the 175 Nosler and IMR-7828 at a little over 3000fps in a rifle from ‘80-‘81 time frame with no problems.
I sent them targets of both rifles since I bought them together.
"I’d take targets and show ‘em"
jorge, it will not make a bit of difference. My first Weatherby was a Mark V in 300 WBY. It shot 2-3" groups. The only assistance I got from Weatherby was a suggestion to try Hornady bullets. Must have been the secant ogive but Weatherby never elaborated. Groups never improved so down the road it went to be replaced by a Winchester Model 70. My second Weatherby was an ulralight in 300 WBY. Very occasionally I would get a spectacular 3 shot group but I just about always got one flyer in each 3 shot group. The baffling thing was the flyer was completely random in firing order. I always got a flyer in a 5 shot group. It went back to Weatherby 3 times. Fortunately at the time they had not dreamed up the "range fee". They did tell me they went to the "ranch" to test fire one day a week every other week. Would you buy a car from a manufacturer that did not have a test track? It was finally replaced by a new rifle but they would not tell me why. The replacement rifle was another 2-3" group rifle so I sold it to a sheep guide I hunted with in Alaska. That rifle almost cost me a dall ram and the guide saw the rifle in action. His answer was that he only needed it for bear protection. Bears are big and close and he carried it a lot and shot very little.
If you read "Weatherby The Man The Gun The Legend" by Gresham you will learn that Roy was not a gun guy but a skilled marketer. That legacy still prevails even after Weatherby finally fled from Kalifornia. My opinion of the Weatherby company is ALL FLAP NO THROTTLE.
bob, that has been FAR from my experience, but I imagined that was more than obvious in my post. ALL my Weathebys have shot with either factory or reloads. That "secant ogive" nonsense is right out of a Hornady manual. All factory Weatherby ammo was and still is loaded with Hornady Spire Poins, Barnes TSX/TTSXs. Ballsitic tiosm etc. Makes no difference, they ALL shot well. I have shots THOUSANDS of rounds through Weatherbys and they ALL have been accurate except this one, which by coincidence, happens to be a Wyoming rifle. Your assertion about Roy if off the mark. Sure he was a marketeer, but his rifles have always been a cut above.
Damn, what a kick in the nuts, hope you get it squared Jorge. smile
The 7 Weatherby has enough more than enough muscle to push the heavy bullets at optimal velocities.

Sho' do. Mine pushes 160's to 3200 fps with a 24" barrel. I had the barrel cut 2" after initial purchase.
Jorge: I sincerely hope Weatherby deals with your issue to your satisfaction.
Very nice Christmas presents indeed
That range test fee is a load of BS. Not a good look for Weatherby.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
That range test fee is a load of BS. Not a good look for Weatherby.

I'll keep my two but there will be no more new ones.
Jorge,

any update from the chat at DSC?
Jorge,

any update from the chat at DSC?

Weatherby was NOT at DSC and unfortunately, I've not heard a peep from them, but I did speak to a few folks in the business, so we'll see...
© 24hourcampfire