Home
Posted By: McInnis Portable shooting benches - 10/07/06
I just joined a new gun club after moving, and it caters to Cowboy action shooters. Only a couple of rifle bays have permanant benches. I'm thinking of building one I can take with me, or maybe buying one I can fold up and carry. Does anyone have any recommendations? I just need something sturdy enough to experiment with loads and check the zero on my scopes, not for competition or anything like that.

???
There's a guy in WY who makes a pretty solid portable bench. Not exactly inexpensive though.

http://www.shootingbenches.com/order.htm
Posted By: djb Re: Portable shooting benches - 10/07/06
If your handy try this. I made one for myself and my dad. Works well if you are not shooting competition.http://www.boogerbench.com/
Posted By: JStor Re: Portable shooting benches - 10/08/06
I am quite pleased with this. www.rifledock.com
Posted By: norske Re: Portable shooting benches - 10/08/06
Years ago, Rick Jamison published a magazine-sized book with do-it-yourself projects for shooters. One of them was a portable take down shooting bench. Be forewarned, it's too heavy to carry like a suitcase.
The top is of a standard shape, consisting of two layers of 3/4" plywood. The three legs are 1 1/4" pipe, 31" long, threaded on one end. The legs attach to the top with square plates which have had threaded pipe couplings cut at a 20 degree angle welded to them. That 20 degree angle of the legs and the weight make the shooting bench very stable. For me, the height is perfect if I sit in a lawn chair.
I bought one from a fella in Alva Wyoming that is spectacular. It weighs about thirty pounds. It cost me $90 about a year ago and is worth twice that to me. It folds to about 3" thick, 18" wide and about 4' long. Has a seat built in and is very stable. He even throws in a set of sandbags with it. Here is his address.
Knothole designs
515 Mona Rd.
Alva,WY 82711
(307) 467-5635
Posted By: DMB Re: Portable shooting benches - 10/08/06
As Montana Marine posted, Royal Stukey makes a fine portable bench. I bought one of his about 3 years ago.
He has pix of 4 benches holding up a pick up truck.. It's strong, and as steady as a rock.
Ain't cheap, and ain't light weight. But, It's the best as it doesn't have a built in seat..(I like that feature as you can place your seat where it's comfortable for you, not where the bench maker puts it.)

Don
This is my favorite, ymmv......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: twodogs Re: Portable shooting benches - 10/08/06
What HC says.

We bought one of their, (it's a Mom and Pop shop), original designs years ago and still use it regularly. They are a very popular item at local gun shows and most of our shooting associates have bought them also. They've made improvements to the original over the years ours has been problem free.

We also have an all steel portable bench but just generally drag along the Knothole.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Portable shooting benches - 10/09/06
I got one of Royal Stuckey's benches this summer, very well made and a great guy to deal with. Highly recommend.
© 24hourcampfire