Home
Posted By: ringworm 458 socom bolt action - 01/11/20
There's a few 450 bushmasters, probably because they are straight walled and meet certain state hunting requirements, but, I was wondering why no built guns are chambered in the bottleneck 458 socom.
Posted By: Darryle Re: 458 socom bolt action - 01/11/20
Plenty are built, Bishop Ammunition builds complete turn key rifles and Tromix makes barrels for 375 and 458 Socom.

They are just not popular on this forum, it's a niche build for guys that have them in their AR rifles.

I am going to build a Model 7 rifle in 375 Socom as soon as I figure out the magazine specifics.
I don't see the point.

If you are not constrained to an AR action and magazine, why not build a real .458?
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 458 socom bolt action - 01/12/20
I have a Mauser in 458 American. No need to change that one. But I know of a mini-Mauser in 223 that could be handily made to function a SOCOM round. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 458 socom bolt action - 01/12/20
I have an ar in 458 socom and it's a fun little round. They usually come twisted better than 450s and there are some good bullets options. I already load for 45/70 so I have several 458 bullets to play with.

The socom in a 16" runs speeds up close to what I feel is my max comfort level in my 45/70 guide gun. The socom will push 300s to 2100 with a hot load. I need to get back to texas and use the socom on pigs.

Bb
Posted By: Darryle Re: 458 socom bolt action - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I don't see the point.

If you are not constrained to an AR action and magazine, why not build a real .458?

It's a niche for guys like me that already have ARs in the Socom calibers
© 24hourcampfire