Home
Posted By: elkivory 6.5 prc Input requested.... - 01/16/20
Members who have one....Maker, model and did it meet your accuracy expectations ?
I have two that I recently got. One built on a Tikka the other on a rem. They have exceeded my expectations in accuracy and velocity.

See the Tikka on custom rifles thread

Lefty
CA Mesa, exceeded my expectations! Most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned!
GAP...EH1 stock, BDL bottom metal, 0.130 freebore. Have only played with 139 Scenars and 140 ELDMs and so far no surprises. Dropped a 3.5-15x50 NXS on it and clanking steel out to 1000 yds has been no problem.
Shaen (Shooter71) built...

Bighorn Orgin
Manners EH1
Bartlien 2B 5R 8 twist cut at 18"s
Hawkins DBM
Accurate binderless mags
.0150 FB (30 less than SAAMI)
TriggerTech Special
Has had SWFA 10x, 3-15, 5-20 and a NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 on it.
139 Scenars at 2965

2 elk, 3 Aoudad culls, 6 cull bucks, 8-9 wt does, lost count of hogs, and 4 feral donkeys (yes..grin...) this season. Has done everything I've wanted near and far....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My gunsmith hunting pard built me one on a Kimber 8400 WSM that Tanner had beat the crap out of. Thought I had a Rock Creek #2 barrel but it ended up 0.575” at the muzzle so I think it was their mountain contour. Shoots great, mag box is a hair over 3” so no worries with OAL. I’m gonna have him cut it back to somewhere between 18-20” so I can use the Ultra 7.
Seekins Havak PH1, NF SHV 3-10X42 moar, Warne Mnt Tac Rings....Shoots 139 scenars at 3050 FPS into little clusters but more importantly, is my go to rifle for anything I can hunt in Idaho or North America....If I ever draw my Idaho Moose Tag (Hopefully this is the year) this rifle is getting the call...From coyotes to moose and elk - best I can do on a 1 rifle, 1 bullet solution.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by joshf303

Bighorn Orgin
Manners EH1
Hawkins DBM
Accurate binderless mags
TriggerTech Special
139 Scenars at 2965

2 elk, 3 Aoudad culls, 6 cull bucks, 8-9 wt does, lost count of hogs, and 4 feral donkeys (yes..grin...) this season. Has done everything I've wanted near and far....

I like that! Weight?
Posted By: BIGR Re: 6.5 prc Input requested.... - 01/17/20
That Seekins is a nice rifle for sure, I suppose it will never be offered in a lefty version?
I was talking with Dave Kiff about the reamer spec’s on the 6.5 PRC and how close Brass if following it...

Dave was impressed and said the reamers were preforming very well.... if Dave is impressed, that doesn’t happen a lot so ... it’s making me look twice.
Posted By: GregW Re: 6.5 prc Input requested.... - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Seekins Havak PH1, NF SHV 3-10X42 moar, Warne Mnt Tac Rings....Shoots 139 scenars at 3050 FPS into little clusters but more importantly, is my go to rifle for anything I can hunt in Idaho or North America....If I ever draw my Idaho Moose Tag (Hopefully this is the year) this rifle is getting the call...From coyotes to moose and elk - best I can do on a 1 rifle, 1 bullet solution.

Mine too - topped with a 3-15 SWFA and I'm shooting 130 Berger's at 3200....

Posted By: Fotis Re: 6.5 prc Input requested.... - 01/17/20
Yup Sauer 100 Atacama swfa 3x15

Nice Fotis....

Damn I’m going to have to build one now... I am still looking at a 7 SAUM that is killing it in F class, but that is hard to ignore.
Originally Posted by GregW

Looks like some Kifaru Gun Bearer rash....grin...
Black Sharpie man.

Black Sharpie man.

Sii....grin...
I too have the CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC. It wears the Sig Whiskey BDX system scope and shoots 130 gr. Accubond handloads at 3100 fps and is sub .5 MOA when I do my part. I've stretched it out to 660 yards, but only on rocks at the lease. I killed two mouflon/barbado sheep at the lease at 272 yards with the 143 ELD-X last weekend of the season. That ELD-X did a lot of damage!
Originally Posted by pointer

Bighorn Orgin
Manners EH1
Hawkins DBM
Accurate binderless mags
TriggerTech Special
139 Scenars at 2965

I like that! Weight?

IIRC with the 10x in Talleys and no suppressor it was a CH over 8lbs. Going back with a rail, rings, and can is a skosh over 9#s
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 prc Input requested.... - 01/17/20

First one:

Second one:

Third one:

Coming...... : whistle
Eldest daughter whacked a cull whitetail at 359 yards with the Precision Hunter factory load in an Impact/Foundation Revelation and PST genii. I gave her a bad hold but it took out both shoulders and spine before exiting. Did find some small pieces of jacket in the spine but I’d expect that.

Also tossed together a TL3 with a Proof prefit in a Manners mini chassis. Much more carry friendly and shoots the factory loads a good bit better than the Impact.
Originally Posted by pointer

Bighorn Orgin
Manners EH1
Hawkins DBM
Accurate binderless mags
TriggerTech Special
139 Scenars at 2965

I like that! Weight?

IIRC with the 10x in Talleys and no suppressor it was a CH over 8lbs. Going back with a rail, rings, and can is a skosh over 9#s
Thanks! Lighter than the Ruger MKII SS/Lam that've hauled a lot of places...

Black Sharpie man.

Sii....grin...

The goal is to have your rifle worn enough to compete with Pat....
With no disrespect to Pat...

My goals are my goals. I only have myself to compete with and please. YMMV....

Black Sharpie man.

Sii....grin...

No understand amigo...
Josh, I really like your rifle. I keep going shorter on barrels but haven't got into suppressors yet. What kind of speeds are you getting at 18"? Also, what's the muzzle diameter on a 2b at 18? How much muzzle diameter do you need to seat a suppressor whit a 5/8 24 thread?

Thanks,
Bb
.710 minimum with .750 preferred so I’ve been told.

Which depending on shank length etc will leave a 2b less than 16

Black Sharpie man.

Sii....grin...

No understand amigo...

All I meant is I hope to use this rifle so much that it has the battle scars and wear marks much like many of Scenarshooters firearms.
Copy that. Mines only been through 2 hunts but I'm done with the rifle thing. This one will stick around for a while.
Burleyboy... make sure you get a cut rifle barrel vs. buttoned if you going that thin with a threaded break.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Josh, I really like your rifle. I keep going shorter on barrels but haven't got into suppressors yet. What kind of speeds are you getting at 18"? Also, what's the muzzle diameter on a 2b at 18? How much muzzle diameter do you need to seat a suppressor whit a 5/8 24 thread?

Thanks,
Bb

139 Scenars are running 2965 with H4350. Haven’t tried any other powders.
Muzzle OD is .725.
1” shank length.

The minimal muzzle diameter is highly debated, but the general rule of thumb is to allow a .050” shoulder for your suppressors to seat against. I’ve had barrels with a skosh less shoulder than that and I’ve had zero issues.

This barrel actually started life as a 6.5 CM barrel. Fell into a deal on another Tikka CTR and sent it back to Shaen for a rechamber. Was a bit hesitant at first, but after studying some Quickload numbers I decided to give it a go. Couldn’t be more pleased.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Burleyboy... make sure you get a cut rifle barrel vs. buttoned if you going that thin with a threaded break.

Can you elaborate on this please?
Bump
Josh,

Here you go (a demo video) .. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/04/muzzle-threading-dont-remove-too-much-steel/

The issue is that button rifled barrels compress the steel outward, so if you cut away metal too much (any hunting profile) the end of the barrel where you cut the thread bells out (expands)...
The video does a great job of validating this, I did it myself on my own lathe and when I got down below .2” of sidewall I really started to notice it, frankly I just wanted to see it for myself.
When I checked the pressure requirements for cartridges and side wall barrel steel most got down to .15” as safe... for those pressures, BUT cutting a thread takes that down another .03 or more.. so most guys won’t thread a barrel under .7” , and a lot of field sporter rifles have .63” or so muzzles. On a 06... .63 - .30 = .33 for side all = .165” .... you get it.

Anyway - cut rifled barrels don’t do this because they don’t have that internal stress from button riffling...

It can be fixed so it doesn’t impact your groups if you did it to a button rifled barrel but you have to remove the lose rifling on a lathe to do so..

Regards,
Spot
Understood...thanks.
Knew barrels could/would bell but never thought about cut vs button being different in that aspect. Makes perfect sense however.

You can tell from the video that it was news to some very experienced people.... it pays to listen to the old guys when you become a smith, and then experiment to see validate those.
Tuebor action, 24" bartlein barrel, cant remember the stock. Loaded 130 swift sciroccos at 3050. Half inch, but stock needs to be touched up as the groups are stringing. Expecting .25 when we touch that up. Just got loads worked out late fall. Daughter pounded two whitetail doe. Impressive performance.
© 24hourcampfire