Home
Posted By: TX35W Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/12/20
Anyone done this? Does it create more problems (ejection angle) than it solves? Or does it actually increase reliability?
Posted By: DCR48 Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/12/20
Have not done the m16 but did a Sako on one reciently. It was my only problem child 700. It works fine but really can't see a reason to do it just because you can. If you dont have a problem I wouldn't bother.
Posted By: DocEd Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/13/20
Far better and safer conversion than a Sako.
Posted By: Brad Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/13/20
I've seen more than one cluster-F with Sako/M16 extractor conversions. I just don't get it. Spend money to "fix" something that isn't broken. Even when done perfectly, the brass ejection angle is generally changed, making its flight path into the bottom of the scope. Also, I can see no good reason to undercut (weaken) the ejection side lug (how the conversion is generally done). You also make your firearm less saleable on the used market.

I think the best thing to do is keep the standard 700 bolt face/toenail ejector clean, oiled, and free of brass. If you're worried about it, carry an extra in your maintenance kit.

Posted By: Woodhits Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/13/20
I've never experienced a failure-to-extract/eject on a 700 but I have seen problems with more than one rifle converted to a Sako extractor. If you really want an M-16 extractor, my advice is to buy a Defiance or similar action that is engineered for that system.

Another issue is that the bolt counterbore clearance for a factory extractor is pretty minimal and, often, other extractors require opening-up that dimension. If the ID of the counterbore is too narrow, the extractor won't have room to work. Not a big deal if you have a lathe but it adds time/cost.
I wouldn't change one unless needed. I've personally seen the result of a Sako that came down the raceway. If I changed it would be a M16.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/14/20
I have two Rem 700 bought years back that have given me fits about not extracting. Doesn't happen but every once in awhile but not extracting is infuriating. The reason I have never bought another Rem. 700. For what they charge for a rifle you would think after all these years they would have improved that fingernail piece of sheet metal they call an extractor to a more dependable design. Rem has known about this problem for at least 50 years & have totally ignored it.. If your rifle extracts dependably I would leave it alone. If not sell the rifle & get a Winchester that has a real extractor. I
Posted By: devnull Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/14/20
Originally Posted by Hesp
I have two Rem 700 bought years back that have given me fits about not extracting. Doesn't happen but every once in awhile but not extracting is infuriating. The reason I have never bought another Rem. 700. For what they charge for a rifle you would think after all these years they would have improved that fingernail piece of sheet metal they call an extractor to a more dependable design. Rem has known about this problem for at least 50 years & have totally ignored it.. If your rifle extracts dependably I would leave it alone. If not sell the rifle & get a Winchester that has a real extractor. I

If that extractor is giving you fits, change it out. If it's not a magnum caliber (i.e. not riveted in), it should be easy to swap out. I've never had an issue with a Remington extractor in the ones I've owned. Savage is another story.

Failing Extractor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udQJ2_ziDFo

Here's how to replace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jG-rkGjc_k
You need to remember that primary extraction is controlled by the location of the bolt handle. If it is not timed and positioned right, no extractor will fix your problem.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/14/20
I've got three Model 700s in the safe and owned three more in the past and never had a mili second's problem with an extractor. If you're having problems Something else is probably the problem. If you're just reading about people witch hunting, you need to forget that and just use your 700 and forget you read that. There's a lot of people that try to say there's a problem when there isn't. This comes from a very few failures of the 700 extractor. Back in the day the extractor was smaller and weaker. It was improved I think in the late 70s-early 80s the best I can remember. Truth be known those that broke were probably forced or had a flaw in them from manufacturing. The 700 is a great action just like it is. Also, one of the selling points of the 700 and something that makes it a little stronger than most actions is the 3 rings of uninterrupted steel around the case head. If you make the conversion you lose that. My advice, leave it alone.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/15/20
Both of my Rem 700 are mags with riveted in extractors. Both have been replaced & still fail to extract every now & then.
Posted By: ERK Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/15/20
A lot of problems with extraction can be attributed to handloads not done properly. This isn’t the guns fault. Operator headspace. It’s like jamming a controlled round feed because you get excited and short stroke it. Not the rifles fault. If it works don’t screw with it. Ed k
Posted By: Hesp Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/15/20
Never had a reload fail to extract in my Winchester's, Savages , Tika's, or any other brand rifle. Only the Rem 700. There is a reason others have replaced their Rem extractors. I have seem others complain of the same problem. .
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Rem 700 M16 extractor - 02/15/20
Originally Posted by DocEd
Far better and safer conversion than a Sako.

Your handy work at a simple bedding job speaks highly of your skill with Remington 700s. Beware of this hack.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire