Home
I have a fresh SS Tikka T3x chambered in 243 win on its way. 1-10 twist. I've got plenty of brass and primers.

This is going to be a dual purpose rifle. Coyotes and deer. What bullets are you using to hammer whitetails with your 10 twist 243's? I've got a bunch of 95 grain Nosler BT's, and was thinking about the TTSX. Any others? Good powder recommendations too!

Ive got good 223's, 6.5, and .308's. figured the 243 might be fun!
90-95gr Nosler BTs, loaded to nosler book length with 43.0gr of IMR4831 is tight in my .243 Tikka T3x.

Also, the cheap Federal Whitetail 100gr shoot single hole in that gun as well.
I might have some 4831 in the shop. I have a ton of Varget and H4350.
One of the best cartridges of all time. My buddies son dumped a northern AZ cow elk a couple falls ago at 160 yards with an 80grn TTSX out a ruger american compact (18" barrel), complete pass through. I bet Varget or H4350 would be perfect for those 80grn TTSX. I have an old M77 varminter from grandfather that shoots ragged holes with 37.0 of Varget and 87grn Vmax. Wouldn't be a good deer load but that load will blow the wheels off any coyote you can see.
Originally Posted by bmoney
One of the best cartridges of all time. My buddies son dumped a northern AZ cow elk a couple falls ago at 160 yards with an 80grn TTSX out a ruger american compact (18" barrel), complete pass through. I bet Varget or H4350 would be perfect for those 80grn TTSX. I have an old M77 varminter from grandfather that shoots ragged holes with 37.0 of Varget and 87grn Vmax. Wouldn't be a good deer load but that load will blow the wheels off any coyote you can see.

Sweet! I'll be looking at load data tonight!
I have a buddy that has that rifle and has done well shooting the Fusion 95 grain ammo with it. Accurate and works well on both deer and antelope.
I load the 80 TTSX for grandkids and my 99’s. The grandkids haven’t lost an animal yet. I’ve killed a few pigs with 99’s. DRT. I would consider the TTSX
95 grain NBT and 4350 are a match made it Heaven for a .243.
I have a Tikka 243 (LH). For deer I shoot the 80 TTSX. 39.0 of Varget at 2.700" is how I run it. They shoot plenty accurate for what that bullet needs to do. I clocked that load at 3221 fps. Hammers the heck out of deer. The first time I used it on a deer, it seemed like it was hit with a much larger bullet, based on performance and blood trail. I have put a few through heavy bone, and not one has stayed in a deer. Works great on turkeys and coyotes as well.

The best accuracy load I have is the 70 grain Berger hollow point over 40.5 grains of Varget. That will stack as many bullets in one tiny hole as you want to.

I have loaded the 87 grain Vmax, but it really didn't do any better than the lighter bullets. I recently loaded some of the 65 grain Vmax and those shoot extremely accurate as well at 3385 fps.
Everything I load in it now is over Varget. The 87s were H4350, but I won't be loading any more of those.

Now BS will come on here and bitch about the "retard" twist rate and that fact that you can't shoot 137 grain bullets loaded to 3.58976543" out of a Tikka. I can't, I'm glad I can't, and there is absolutely no need to.
You want to use one bullet for coyotes and deer?
95gr Partition over an upper middling load of Varget.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Sierra 85 gr GameKing will work for both, I haven't shot a lot of coyotes with it but the few I have died right there with minimal hide damage, and it sure as heck is a good deer bullet.

drover

Looking for two different loads. Probably going with the 95 ballistic tip and the 80 TTSX testing for deer.

For coyotes, a lighter v max, or something like that.
Originally Posted by KenMi
I have a Tikka 243 (LH). For deer I shoot the 80 TTSX. 39.0 of Varget at 2.700" is how I run it. They shoot plenty accurate for what that bullet needs to do. I clocked that load at 3221 fps. Hammers the heck out of deer. The first time I used it on a deer, it seemed like it was hit with a much larger bullet, based on performance and blood trail. I have put a few through heavy bone, and not one has stayed in a deer. Works great on turkeys and coyotes as well.

The best accuracy load I have is the 70 grain Berger hollow point over 40.5 grains of Varget. That will stack as many bullets in one tiny hole as you want to.

I have loaded the 87 grain Vmax, but it really didn't do any better than the lighter bullets. I recently loaded some of the 65 grain Vmax and those shoot extremely accurate as well at 3385 fps.
Everything I load in it now is over Varget. The 87s were H4350, but I won't be loading any more of those.

Now BS will come on here and bitch about the "retard" twist rate and that fact that you can't shoot 137 grain bullets loaded to 3.58976543" out of a Tikka. I can't, I'm glad I can't, and there is absolutely no need to.

Good info here, thank you!
I’ve had excellent performance on Southern Whitetails with the Berger 87 grain VLD. It’s a killer!
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...r-rifle-recipes-for-failure#Post14486972

See my comments in this thread. I'm a big fan of the 80 gr TTSX. But maybe they only work for kids......
I've got box of 90 Sierra tipped gamekings that I plan to try to use year around. If they act up, I'll simply go back to 70 NBT for 11 months 95 partitions for a month.

Plain vanilla?? My 243 is a used 700 ADL synthetic that I bought on the cheap for a donor. Shot it before tearing it down & it became part of the clan.

Not one of my favorites 30 years ago, but with the constant introduction of bullets the 243 becomes more versatile every year. A good one.
70gr Nosler Ballistic Tips over 42.0grs of Varget.
4 shots. Didnt want to shoot 5 so I didnt screw this up.
It's a 1980's era Remington Varminter HB.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
100 grain partition for deer, best bullet I've found.
Originally Posted by drover

Sierra 85 gr GameKing will work for both, I haven't shot a lot of coyotes with it but the few I have died right there with minimal hide damage, and it sure as heck is a good deer bullet.

drover

^^^THIS^^^................I've never had a 243 that would not shot this bullet accurately. For an "all around" bullet for the 243, you cannot find one better.
Originally Posted by longshot3

Looking for two different loads. Probably going with the 95 ballistic tip and the 80 TTSX testing for deer.

For coyotes, a lighter v max, or something like that.

Since it looks like you.have your deer bullet figured out I would go with a 70 grain Ballistic Tip for coyotes or if you want super fast a 55 grain Ballistic Tip.

Either will knock a coyotes AZZ plumb off.

Added: I would also look at a 90 grain Accubond for deer.
Yeah that 70 grain BT is a great bullet.
The Sierra 100gr Pro Hunter is another good one.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
95 grain NBT and 4350 are a match made it Heaven for a .243.

I'll second that motion.
Originally Posted by 303savage
100 grain partition for deer, best bullet I've found.

I'll agree with this. I have not used every bullet in this thread; however, I have used most. Frankly, I don't recall having any that were not accurate enough. However, the 100 grain Partition has been a consistent and exceptional performer in every 6mm for which I have loaded.
95 gr bt or 100 gr partitions. 47 gr IMR 7828 SC. Start at 44 gr. 3200 fps
Posted By: OAM Re: I went plain vanilla...243 Win - 02/14/20
I have a fresh SS Tikka T3x chambered in 243 win on its way. 1-10 twist. I've got plenty of brass and primers.

This is going to be a dual purpose rifle. Coyotes and deer. What bullets are you using to hammer whitetails with your 10 twist 243's? I've got a bunch of 95 grain Nosler BT's, and was thinking about the TTSX. Any others? Good powder recommendations too!

Ive got good 223's, 6.5, and .308's. figured the 243 might be fun!

I'm my opinion you completely nailed it! For deer and coyote- tikka .243 shooting 95 grain ttsx.
With a 10" twist, I'd look at a 95-100gr NPT load for deer season and then switch to something lighter and more frangible for coyotes.

My own stainless .243win lives in my truck and I shoot the 105 Hornady HPBT in it for everything. It's not used as a dedicated deer gun, but more of a "target of opportunity" gun, including practice on steel. That bullet has worked well enough on hogs, deer, and crows so far.
Lots of great info here! Going to be priming some new Winchester brass this weekend!
80 TTSX is a zapper...
Congrats on your purchase. I have a 6mm CM, but also bought a .243 afterwards. No real difference except in standard barrel twists and the dimensions, which favor the 6 with heavy bullets. For hunting? Meh.

I've killed deer with 100gr NPs and 100gr Sierra Pro Hunters. If the rifle will shoot them, I prefer the Partitions, however 45gr of RL26 with the PHs shoots fine, and you have some room to add a bit more if you need it.

I have scads of .24 bullets in the 85-115gr range. Have a lot of futzing around to do with both rifles. I "lost" last Spring and Summer dealing with elder-care issues (NOT mine, thankfully). The .24s are pretty much ideal for this area, methinks, especially since next-door VA hasn't jumped on the .22 caliber deer rifle bandwagon yet.
Wouldn’t mind seeing Tikka do a 6 CM.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Congrats on your purchase. I have a 6mm CM, but also bought a .243 afterwards. No real difference except in standard barrel twists and the dimensions, which favor the 6 with heavy bullets. For hunting? Meh.

I've killed deer with 100gr NPs and 100gr Sierra Pro Hunters. If the rifle will shoot them, I prefer the Partitions, however 45gr of RL26 with the PHs shoots fine, and you have some room to add a bit more if you need it.

I have scads of .24 bullets in the 85-115gr range. Have a lot of futzing around to do with both rifles. I "lost" last Spring and Summer dealing with elder-care issues (NOT mine, thankfully). The .24s are pretty much ideal for this area, methinks, especially since next-door VA hasn't jumped on the .22 caliber deer rifle bandwagon yet.

Man, I wish Virginia would allow .22 Cal for deer. An 8 twist 22-250, or 223 Ai would have been ordered instead. I asked the Virginia dept of game and inland fisheries why they won't allow the use of 22 Cal. They said that too many hunters would go hunting with varmint bullets, causing lost and wounded/maimed animals. Although, I believe that some dingbats would do this initially, the vast majority wouldn't. Hey, I'm just happy we can hunt on Sundays now!
I just bought a Tikka stainless fluted in 243 and am planning on installing the 10x SWFA.

My favorite bullet, that met my needs was the 70 BT. with this rifle I want to step up the bullet weight a little, perhaps 87 or 95 grain.
Don't they allow airguns? Even the best of those is about equivalent to a .45 ACP.

We're "Any Centerfire" here, but your .25 Stevens(!) need not apply.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by viking
I just bought a Tikka stainless fluted in 243 and am planning on installing the 10x SWFA.

My favorite bullet, that met my needs was the 70 BT. with this rifle I want to step up the bullet weight a little, perhaps 87 or 95 grain.

I'm using the same scope with Talley light weight rings.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Don't they allow airguns? Even the best of those is about equivalent to a .45 ACP.

We're "Any Centerfire" here, but your .25 Stevens(!) need not apply.

Not sure on airguns. I know that they make some pretty powerful models. It's just not something I'd get into.
Dang Lapua, you are gonna be busy!
What? Everyone know’s that you can no longer use a 243/ 6mm rem for anything! 6 Mm Crap more is the way to go!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁
Dang Lapua, you are gonna be busy!

You bet!
We shot the Tikka today. 3 different loads. 80&100 Winchester plain Jane loads and Nosler 90 grain factory loads. 2 were order an inch for 3 shots. The 100 grain load should have been under an inch but one shot got pulled. 21 degrees and kinda windy.
Originally Posted by viking
We shot the Tikka today. 3 different loads. 80&100 Winchester plain Jane loads and Nosler 90 grain factory loads. 2 were order an inch for 3 shots. The 100 grain load should have been under an inch but one shot got pulled. 21 degrees and kinda windy.

Nice!
My son has been shooting 100 gr sierra pro hunters last few years and been working great on deer.

Lou
My wife’s 243 dotes on the 95gr Federal Fuzion load. She’s too lazy to handload 😂
Posted By: jdb Re: I went plain vanilla...243 Win - 03/13/20
My boys killed a bunch of deer with 100 grain corelokt
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
My wife’s 243 dotes on the 95gr Federal Fuzion load. She’s too lazy to handload 😂

I took a box out with me and shot well under an inch at 100yds. If I didn't load my own stuff, I'd certainly use it as well!
Originally Posted by drover

drover

^^^THIS^^^................I have loaded the 85 grain Sierra HPBT for the 243 for many years, and have never owned a 243 rifle that did not shoot this bullet extremely well. I don't consider it to the "ideal" bullet for deer, but I've seen too many killed with to say it won't work, because it will very well. I've also killed a number of coyotes with it, and it's one of the best coyote bullets to be had.
95gr BT is my favorite bullet in my 243. It just straight up works.
Originally Posted by hanco
I load the 80 TTSX for grandkids and my 99’s. The grandkids haven’t lost an animal yet. I’ve killed a few pigs with 99’s. DRT. I would consider the TTSX

A Savage 99 in 243 is not plain Jane, 😂 you got a classic right there. Good job old man.
Originally Posted by BeardHunter

I took a box out with me and shot well under an inch at 100yds. If I didn't load my own stuff, I'd certainly use it as well!

I have yet to find, or make, a more accurate load in that particular gun or a picky early Kimber Montana
85gn TSX and 45gn Ramshot Hunter will run ~3175-3200fps from a 22" 1:10" bbl. This load shoots very well for me in a Kimber MT, Win SS Classic Fwt (x3 between me and couple friends), M70 Classic Compact, Rem 700 Mt Rifle, at least 1 Savage 110, and a friend's Wby Vanguard. This is about 1gn under Westrn Powder's published max of 45.9gn for the 85 TSX.

I have carried that Kimber MT as a "truck gun" of and on for over a decade and I have excellent results on white-tailed deer and coyotes (doesn't rip hides to shreds, just nice in/out). Friend and his kids have used this load on several fairly large Mule Deer as well.

Good friend has excellent accuracy results from 80gn TTSX and H4350 @ ~3300fps. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to run that combo either.
100 grain Hornady Interlock works well. Remington Core-lokt ultra bonds (if you can find them) also work very well. .
The 6mm is a fine deer rifle, whether it be a 6x45, 6x47, 6mm Bullberry ( 6/30-30 Imp) 243, 6mm Rem, 240W...wicked killers that "I personally found" really needed to be used "surgically" they say, for best results. Same with the hot .22s, ask any Texas rifleman/Hunter. Now, I have personally seen what an 85 xbt going 2900fps ( .243 short barrel speeds) from a 6mm/222Mag did on 2 Axis and a Scimitar Horned Oryx. (plus 2 jackrabbits :)) I had to use that rifle because I was still recovering from a neck fusion. The axis were 80yds and 125 yds, and the Oryx was 184 yds. Complete penetration on one axis, and the first shot on the Oryx ( base of neck) the 2nd from 75yds ( insurance shot) went up through chest/heart/broke the spine/lodged right there.

Here in Utah, many just use factory Fusion ( 95) and 100gr (Rem/Fed blue box/Hornady) I met two brothers back in the late 90s that used the 100x in their 243s for elk every year!. Fine little round. For a Rifleman, and easier for other beginners to "learn to be Riflemen", just teach them where to hit their game. Have a ball pard!
© 24hourcampfire