Home
Posted By: MojoHand Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
Was wanting a trim stalking version of my 9.3 and thinking of building one when I saw this on GB. Was pretty much setup exactly How I wanted (minus open sights) so I grabbed it for a great price. Just got it back from a barrel chop and installed the sights. Wasn’t familiar with the stock and accidentally saw a Winlite whilst Googling.

Haven’t found anything else that looks close but don’t know for sure. I read McMillan made these for the Win 70 but don’t know if they ever made one specifically for the Mark X.

I suspect this was a takeoff that some one opened up for the Mauser’s bottom and then bedded the entire thing. It’s a very stiff stock and weighed in at 23 oz. The only thing that makes me wonder is the buttstock almost sounds/feels hollow; definitely different than the modern McMillans on my and my buddy’s other Mausers.

Is that typical of the Winlite? Perhaps Winchester spec’d them out that way? It’s a nice stock regardless-very light and trim, but my curiosity is killing me. My buddy thinks it could be a MPI as they apparently made a featherweight type stock with schnabel ends for Mausers. I googled but could find no pics of any such MPI stock and no other brands I googled look like this so I’m reasonably sure it’s a Winlite, but confirmation from those who’ve had one would be nice.

TIA

Pic link ‘cuz posting here is a PITA.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3QH7VE8
To me,it's a Featherweight style fiberglass stock.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
Mojo, in the early-mid 1990's I bought a NIB push feed M70 25-06 and it was called/labeled a Winlite on the ticket. Like an idiot I traded it off a couple years later.

I'm about 99% certain the stock was a twin to the one in your pic. Same fore-end and finish.
(nice bird feeder BTW....)
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
I put an ADL WinLite on SIL's push feed .264 Win Mag. Except for BDL inlet, looks the same. My vote is yes.
Posted By: jwall Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
MOJO

IMO, for what that's worth, it looks like the 'Winlite' stock or similar.

One thing I CAN tell you, IF the stock is hollow.... it'll be colder than a well digger BEHIND in Jan.

I had a 700 ADL syn 'hollow' stock. Light ? yes. COLD.....YES.

Jerry
Posted By: GeoW Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
Look like this one?

Winlight

link
1988 Shooters Bible.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: RBO Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
I had Stuart at Wildcat Composites make a stock for my win model 70 featherweight, tightened up my groups from .75 to just one ragged hole. Fit and finish was the best I’ve seen, it put both my Nula’s to shape. The paint finish is the best texture I’ve had as well.

Originally Posted by MojoHand

Fellows UIM & I could be, I think I remember seeing A pic of the Win 70
Winlite in the configuration that is in that link pic.

Elks I like the S B pic you posted. Now I’m wondering....
IF Win changed the stock design along the way. ??

Jerry
Posted By: rj308 Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
Hojo, I'm not sure who made that stock, but that is one fine looking rig you have there! RJ
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Fellows UIM & I could be, I think I remember seeing A pic of the Win 70
Winlite in the configuration that is in that link pic.

Elks I like the S B pic you posted. Now I’m wondering....
IF Win changed the stock design along the way. ??

Jerry

Probably not,otherwise it's a Featherweight with a fiberglass stock IMO.

What MOJO has is a Mauser barreled action in a fiberglass Featherweight style stock.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
Looks like it. One I had one with a pachmeyer recoil pad and the other said Winchester. There’s also a version without the schnable fore end. One of my favorite stocks.

Would you clarify -- "looks like it" ?

Winlite OR Featherweight style ?

Jerry
Winchester sold Winlites in both a featherweight and classic pattern, as well as blind or floorplate magazine in both styles. Stocks were made by McMillan. Great setup.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Winchester sold Winlites in both a featherweight and classic pattern, as well as blind or floorplate magazine in both styles. Stocks were made by McMillan. Great setup.

Gotcha. smile
It isn't a Winlite stock. The stock in the picture is for a Mauser action. Mauser front stock screws go into the recoil lug and the M70 doesn't.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I knew I was right. whistle
grin

Thanks for the info.

Jerry
Jerry,even a brocken clock is right twice a day. wink laugh laugh
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/14/20
I have a Winchester M70 XTR .270 with that very same stock. Very accurate for an off the shelf rifle. I also have a custom Mauser in a McMillan stock and construction and material appear to be the same. I bought it was a Featherweight that someone had replaced the stock when I saw it on a table at a gun show. Guy said it was accurate and sighted in at 100 yards. Price wasn't bad so I bought it. The rifle was better than the seller claimed. I also, at another gun show, picked up an M70 in .300 Win. Mag. with scope at a good price and It too was accurate. The stock looked like a McMillan with a blind magazine. It too is very accurate.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Jerry,even a brocken clock is right twice a day. wink laugh laugh

Thank Goodness. I get to be right twice a day. smirk

Took the wife to a restaurant today for lunch. The M & L restrooms were side by side. The sign said,

" Men on Left.......Women are always Right." laugh

Jerry
laugh laugh
Posted By: 16bore Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/15/20
Originally Posted by jwall

Would you clarify -- "looks like it" ?

Winlite OR Featherweight style ?

Jerry

Looks like winlite. No checkering, 1/2” recoil pad. Schnabel. Looks like the 2 I had, except one was covered in Trebark
Posted By: jwall Re: Is this a Winlite stock? - 02/15/20
Thank You.
© 24hourcampfire