Home
Out of your entire collection, if you could only keep ONE hunting rifle, it would be ___________? If you're able, post a photo of it, too.

Criteria -- sentimental, monetary value/rareness, utility of cartridge, etc -- entirely up to you as long as it's only one rifle.

Personally, I'd keep the JM stamped (1992) 336 in 30-30 my wife gave me as pretty much the coolest Christmas gift ever.
My Montana in 7-08.

Just a well designed, lightweight rifle that covers all the hunting I'm likely to ever do.

It's the bamboo flyrod of rifles.
No way in hell, that is ever going to happen...
The one that I have currently being made...... 😁
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
No way in hell, that is ever going to happen...

I didn't say I was coming to confiscate the others... just for fun.
Hurts my soul to even consider such a scenario, but ....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Winchester 70 (yes, a dreaded push-feed) .300 Holland & Holland Magnum
This is An interesting question. I would keep My Kimber Subalpine .300 WSM or My Subalpine 30-06 either one will cover Any of My big game hunting needs......Hb
I think it would be my 7x57 built on a G33/40 Mauser action by Roger and Al Biesen. It is one of the last rifles that Al had a hand in before his unfortunate stroke. The cartridge just kills things with no muss nor fuss, and without much recoil.
Would have to be my .243 was my grandma s and I killed my first buck at 14 after she passed
My favorite is my Ruger N0.1S in 45-70. But looking at it from a practical point of view I would probably keep my 700BDL in 30-06.
My .300 WM.. Killing game since 1971!!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
No way that's gonna happen, as I have rifles for different terrain, and game.
But,
Purely because of how many critters have fallen, the cartridge, and how long I've owned it, it would have to be my Mauser model 66s, in 7x64 Brenneke.
I'll take a pic later.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
My .300 WM.. Killing game since 1971!!!!

Yep. Don't change a thing smile
The Pre-64 M70 in 30-06 my Dad gave me.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
The Pre-64 M70 in 30-06 my Dad gave me.

Yup. What I'd keep too. Standard grade .30-06 with a Lyman 4x. I'd probably get a couple of extra scopes for it, though.
Bob

I don't have any sentimental pieces or I'd probably say one of those.

For me, it'd be my Kimber Montana in 358win. Spent a while deciding on what I want from a hunting rifle and that's where I've ended up. I don't see it ever leaving me.
NULA 280.
Because if I can only have one rifle, the world is likely ending, and I probably have only one sheep hunt left ...
Pass. Asked /Answered multi Xs.
Originally Posted by jwall

Oh I'm sure it has... but some newer folks around and a chance to change your mind 😇
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Hurts my soul to even consider such a scenario, but ....

Winchester 70 (yes, a dreaded push-feed) .300 Holland & Holland Magnum

Nice, I would be happy with that choice.
Without a doubt, since all my future hunts will be confined to eastern whitetails (age 63 with replaced knees, and financially embarrassed), it'd be my 257 Bob built on a Ruger short action tang-safety with a Douglas ultralight barrel in a McMillan stock. Lightweight and easy on the shoulder, everything I have ever wanted in a whitetail rifle. Found it here in the classifieds, and still feeling darned lucky to have snagged it!
You must get a kick out of mind bucking us with mental exercises such as these 😆. However I am willing to participate and will go with my Winchester M70 6.5x55 or Tikka 243.
Originally Posted by viking
You must get a kick out of mind bucking us with mental exercises such as these 😆. However I am willing to participate and will go with my Winchester M70 6.5x55 or Tikka 243.

Haha no mind bucking intended... these are just the things I think about when I'm supposed to be working. 😇
My Winchester M 70 .375 H&H Stainless Steel rifle.

The only change would be is I would replace the Weaver 3x with a Leupold 2x7 scope.
Yeah, it’s fun to pause and think about once in awhile.
Practical side of me says the 7mm Mag Legend I’m having built.

My heart says keep the .270 Classic.

Either way, this is a nightmare scenario. Handguns would be even tougher.
my Tikka T3 lite .270 win
My 375H&H.

Started out as a Model 70 Classic Sporter 7mmSTW I picked up at a gunshow for a song since the stock was gouged up.

I chambered and re-barrelled it with a PacNor or Lilja (can't remember which!) barrel in a "Remington Magnum Sporter" contour.

I Ceracoated all the metal in Graphite black.

Bedded it into a late model Super Grade stock.

It shoots 270 grain whatevers over Reloader 15 and 300 grainers over H4350 into usefully small groups.

After breaking two 6x42 Schitpolds, I put a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 PH scope on it in dual dovetails and all has been well since.

Four leopards, two buffalo, a couple hippos, multiple kudu, gemsbock, zebra, yadda, yadda.

It will do.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Originally Posted by jwall

Oh I'm sure it has... but some newer folks around and a chance to change your mind 😇

O K. Fair enuff.

Sorry, I was a newb at one time.

It WOULD be a very difficult ? to answer because I love em all.

One rifle for 'hunting'...... A 7mm RM without much consternation.
This Tikka T3X Lite SS with identical scopes weighs 3 (THREE) oz more than my T 3 Lite SS 270.

2018 was my first season to hunt it and I've killed 4-5 WT with it.
The 7 RM shoots light --> to heavy bullet weights with decent B Cs for FLAT trajectory.
There are multiple Premium bullets available for any hunting situation where they're needed.

Powder burned is not excessive and TO ME the recoil is very manageable.

Note 1. It might not be THAT rifle but a 7 Mag is at the top of my list.

Note 2. The 30-06 is very worthy of consideration for multiple reasons. I prefer the 7s flatter trajectory.

Jerry
Easy. For the whole world excluding Africa, the 300 Weatherby. For the whole world period, the choice is even easier: 375 H&H Model 70 or Browning Safari Grade in same.
For me it would be my Beretta Mato in 30-06.
i would keep the fieldcraft in 6 creed and the .223 montana. also would keep the 77/22.
Probably my Blaser K-95 with barrels in 7 Rem Mag and 25-06.

My Ruger M77 in 7mm RM was my first centerfire. It served me very well - and exclusively as it applies to bolt rifles - for the first 20+ years of my big game hunting.

It has always been an MOA or better shooter with handloads - still is - and will be the last to go.
Same here. My M77 in 7mmRM would be the last to go. My mom bought it for my dad in the 1970's, and I rebarelled/restocked it about 10 years ago.
My Winchester Classic, 338 WM and my pre - 64 30-06. I’m good with those 2. Can’t be just one.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Without a doubt, since all my future hunts will be confined to eastern whitetails (age 63 with replaced knees, and financially embarrassed), it'd be my 257 Bob built on a Ruger short action tang-safety.....

I agree with your statement, " all my future hunts will be... eastern whitetails "

Some of our members will be privileged to hunt Alaska, Canada, Africa, etc. and THEIR one rifle would need to be different from yours and Mine.

I plan & hope to hunt Elk, at least here in Ar. and could possibly hunt Tx, N Mx, Co, etc SO that influenced my decision on
the 7 RM. It will dependably kill any > thing I might hunt in the future.

As long as the rifle/cartridge anyone chooses fills their hunting needs, there is NO wrong answer.

Jerry
This one is growing on me (.30-06), and has been my go-to rifle of late. I love my old M70 standard grade, but this customized Ruger is accurate, reliable and fairly light (8.3 lbs, loaded) for a regular bolt rifle. I had it re-barreled with a 24 inch tube and did a bit of customization. It'll do anything I'll ever want to do with a big-game rifle. I added a red pad for a little more length and a nice oil finish to complete the job. Scope is a Leupold 2.5-8 VX 3. I guess I could do a lot worse.
Bob

RGK

S W E E T !, add LIKE !

Jerry
Mine would be my Brno ZG-47 in 9.3X62. McGowan barrel. Pacific Tool M70-style safety. Timney trigger

Originally Posted by Mauser98
Mine would be my Brno ZG-47 in 9.3X62. McGowan barrel. Pacific Tool M70-style safety. Timney trigger

WOW!
Great thread title for the subject matter. "There can be only one". Those were great movies, especially the first one.
Hard for me as I shoot tiny deer for which anything more than my 243 is way overkill. BUT I hunt moose once a year.

I'd have to use my 6.5x55 but I much prefer a 243 and 06 pairing
My M70 SS Classic FW All Terrain .30-06 with 2.5-8x36 Leupold and iron sights. Tupperware stock is floated and bedded with Steel Bed. I swapped out the cast trigger guard floorplate assembly for a lighter one and added a Decelerator pad.

I shoot mostly 180' s in it. Usually NPT's or Hornady IL's. Handload is 57 gr H-4350. I also use some factory Core Lokt ammo but not much.

Probably my personal admission that I am boring and dull at heart. That or I like to hunt and not have to think about what I am carrying. I have lots of other rifles and hunt with a few of them regularly but this is the one that goes with me every time.
If I could only have one I would have to buy a new one. I would go all out with the Highlander theme and order a Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3x62mm
Originally Posted by pacecars
If I could only have one I would have to buy a new one. I would go all out with the Highlander theme and order a Rigby Highlander Stalker in 9.3x62mm

That would work.
Bob

GEE WHIZ that’s gorgeous. !!

1 thing wrong with it tho.......

It’s not mine. whistle laugh

Jerry
Ruger mk2 standard in 30-06. Think I got it in 96' or thereabouts.
My favorite rifle I own is my700 classic 35Whelen. If I could have just 1 rifle it would be something in 30-06.
Here's a pic of my Mauser 66 in 7x64.
Just loaded some 139gr btsp's to go shoot.
It sure has a deep throat, where bullets aren't even the casing of the oval gauge !
Gonna start over with loading for it.
Gonna try modern, mono bullets, and Accubonds.
Originally Posted by teal
My Montana in 7-08.

Just a well designed, lightweight rifle that covers all the hunting I'm likely to ever do.

Exactly. Mine is a 308 Win, but I could be equally happy with it as a 7-08 or (gasp) 6.5 CM:

Sticking with blue steel and walnut, M700 Mountain Rifle, 7mm-08, Leupold 2-7x33.

The older it gets, the better I like it.

g
My LH Rem 700 in .308 because ammo
Brno 22F 8X57 is my favorite.

My lucky rifle is an ole ugly blue metal and plastic stocked Tikka T3.300 WSM with 2.5-8x36 Leupy and I've always seen bucks when I take it.

My favorite is a M70 .270 but I've had so many dry runs of not seeing a buck, that I hardly take it anymore.

If I had to choose one from my small collection to keep, I would have to go with the lucky one.
Ruger M 77 tang safety (circa 1984) 7x57 has been a real work horse.

I have stuck with it even though I have been told the stock is like a 2x4, barrel is no good, can't seat the bullets close to the lands, have to bed it, not accurate, need to replace the trigger, it is too heavy for backpack hunting and it is unsafe because the safety does not block the stricker. In other words it is a piece of crap.

Despite all that it has done in Goats, Antelope, Elk, Moose, Bear, Mule deer, Whitetail deer and with the Speer 115 grain HP coyotes and other varmints.
Ruger stocks have always fit and felt the best to me.
R O =

If that's all it's done,..... I'd be lookin for somthing better! grin

Congrats.

My long time friend and hunting pard has MY very first 77 tanger in 243 that I bought in 1977. Dang ole thing just keeps
on killin stuff !

Jerry
My answer would be a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless NH .270 Winchester in a McMillian Edge Hunter Stock, 1 piece bottom metal, with a NF 2.5-10X42 scope on top.
I suppose at my age and in my physical condition I would have to go with my BRNO 22F in 8X64. It's light and handy and can take care of anything I'm likely to encounter (and some unlikely ones, too).

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]

That is nice!

Good choice.
[quote=xausa]I suppose at my age and in my physical condition I would have to go with my BRNO 22F in 8X64. It's light and handy and can take care of anything I'm likely to encounter (and some unlikely ones, too).

[Linked Image from i1231.photobucket.com]

---------------------------------------

Very Nice & you can use the bolt to spread butter on your toast ! smile

Jerry
Y'all might not believe it but This IS the Same Rifle

11-12-2016

12-14-2016

The difference is, Nov. it was a Sunny Day........ Dec. it was a Cloudy Day

I sure could live with THIS one rifle, after all it is an 06.
It wasn't my Dad's rifle but it makes me think of him. His first and only rifle for @ 20 yrs was a 760, 30-06 he bought in the early 60s.

I haven't hunted it a lot of years but I'll not get rid of it.

I do have His M Six in 270, which was his last rifle.

Nov. 23. 2015

Nov. 14, 2015

After he died 12/98, I inherited the 270 and hunted and killed plenty deer with it. These 2 bucks were the last I have killed with it because I've been hunting other rifles since.

*** The 06 makes me think of Dad more than the 270 because he had the pump 06 so long. ***

Jerry

ps; pardon my little trip down memory lane.

The ot6.

But.......
I would break this down sealed in some decent Pvc with 5w30 and bury it.
Furniture, mags, and ammo nearby in a sealed dry container.

Just for schyts and giggles...

Their cant only be just One!!!

Jwall nice pics and story.
I didn't start to really accumulate guns until I was 50, but my pick would be my 1955 Model 70 Featherweight 30-06.
When I get this imgur thing figured out I'll post pics, really enjoy seeing everybody else's.
My Remington 760 30-06 I saved for and bought when I was 15 (40 years ago). Or, my Savage 99 in 308. Not my Dad’s which was stolen in 1983, but just like his and as stated above, it reminds me of him.
Originally Posted by haazrob
Jwall nice pics and story.

Thanx. I really didn’t plan to do that. It just evolved.

Jerry
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
I didn't start to really accumulate guns until I was 50, but my pick would be my 1955 Model 70 Featherweight 30-06.
When I get this imgur thing figured out I'll post pics, really enjoy seeing everybody else's.

imgur is not difficult when you put the pieces together.

I’d be glad to help. Tomorrow is going to be disjointed so I don’t know how
much time I’ll have.

But tomorrow night or Thursday I’d be glad to give you some pointers.
It’s really not complicated.

Jerry
My son will always have his Marlin MR-7 270 Win......
[Linked Image]
And I'd hang on to my Marlin 1895GST.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Only one ???

No question.......... My A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .375 Weatherby. Uckin fugly as a mud fence. More versatile than any other gun I've ever owned. Capable of groundhogs at 500 yards of elephants in your face.

Easy choice.
© 24hourcampfire