Home
Simple question - when mounting a scope that has quick detach (quick release) rings, on which side of the rifle do you mount the locking levers? On the left opposite the bolt or on the right?
I like the left side ( opposing bolt) as I feel it keeps the loading/ejection are clear. It also keeps the levers from digging into my arm if I on hand carry it. I felt the Leopold QDs had smaller levers and did just as well as several others that used big flat levers. Good luck to you.
Left, opposite the bolt face. Had Talleys like this on a 375 HH, they are more out of the way on the left.
Left side, opposite the bolt handle. It just gives a little less clutter around the magazine opening.

Same..... left side, opposite the bolt handle. memtb
Always the ejection port / bolt side... as a RH person, I sling a rifle on my right shoulder and don’t want the levers/knobs rubbing against me and potentially loosening. Ditto when I’m carrying the rifle in my right hand... I don’t want protrusions rubbing against me. Simple really.
I always put them on the right side since the bolt handle sticks out on that side anyway. Keeps the left side clean
Originally Posted by pacecars
I always put them on the right side since the bolt handle sticks out on that side anyway. Keeps the left side clean

A perfect way to put it.
ALL ring fasteners goes opposite the ejection port,whether Turnbolt,Trombone,Lever or Self Shucker...be it Forever Mounted or Quickaloo Dog Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The LAST fhuqking thing I want on a rifle to be QD,is the Gawddamned Fhuqking Rings. Hint.

Wee bit earlier today. HINT.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
ALL ring fasteners goes opposite the ejection port,whether Turnbolt,Trombone,Lever or Self Shucker...be it Forever Mounted or Quickaloo Dog Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not surprisingly, those with actual hunting experience over many decades more than you also disagree with you, including Phil Shoemaker and Finn Aagaard. I started the practice long before I knew who either of these guys were, but since it’s the most logical place, I wasn’t surprised to find myself in good company.

Phil’s Old Ugly:

[Linked Image from nitroexpress.info]

Finn’s 375:

[Linked Image from empty-cases.com]
Originally Posted by Brad
Always the ejection port / bolt side... as a RH person, I sling a rifle on my right shoulder and don’t want the levers/knobs rubbing against me and potentially loosening. Ditto when I’m carrying the rifle in my right hand... I don’t want protrusions rubbing against me. Simple really.

Exactly right...assuming one uses a sling and actually hunts with the rifle. I position the levers so they are out of the way of the ejection port; never had an issue quickly reloading.
Interesting to see both sides are used.
Leupold QRs have the levers in the bases, so they have to be on the left side, except on firearms with level surfaces like the Marlin 336 or Remington 742/760 and 7400/7600 series rifles where the one-piece base can be reversed.

Leupold Detachos and QRWs and Warnes have the levers in the rings and I install them with the levers on the right and in the vertical position.

I don't think that there is a functional difference, just an aesthetic one.
Originally Posted by Tannhauser

I wonder if you know who GF1 is?
Pardon my giving less than ZERO Fhuqks,on how someone else fhuqks a rifle up. If a solution is viable,to preclude malady,I'm simply gonna connect dots and do so. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Then again,I don't haveta' steal pics and simply wear a rifle daily,while shooting out more barrels,than most folks fling boolits. Hint.

Lemmings do some FUNNY schit! Hint

Bless your heart,for trying so hard.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Then again,I don't haveta' steal pics and simply wear a rifle daily,while shooting out more barrels,than most folks fling boolits. Hint..

This is about actual hunters, not lard-azzed target shooters.

I don’t. Is it classified?

I don't know who GF1 is.
Well, one of the ACGG’s finest...
Well, one of the ACGG’s finest...

Well, a professional rifle mechanic has probably seen enough of them to form an opinion about what works and what doesn't work as well.
To the chagrin of Window Lickers fhuqking everywhere,Spent Primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial,on Rifle mechanics. It'll be "news" to same,that The Rifle has ZERO fhuqking Emotion and cain't discern what it's being pointed at. Though in fairness,I don't have a receiver that's chewed through more than (7) spouts,all of which were treated lovingly. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

But I reckon someone's gotta set on the sidelines,rattle pom-pom's and suck azz,while not shooting enough in a year's time to fill a shirt pocket with empties. Hint. LAUGHING!

Lemmings are a fhuqking hoot!

Bless your heart,for doing the best you can,with what incredibly fhuqking little you have to work with.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
I put them bolt side also, and lever up. Was advised lever up so they wouldn't loosen under recoil. I guess then mounted opposite side to bolt would need lever down. I only have Warne QDs on my 375 & 458 because I used to shoot Big Game Rifle, and some of the match events require open sights only, and some allow scopes but with score penalties. The scope gets replaced with a ghost ring peep on the rear for the open sight events.

The are well clear of the ejection port.
It would depend on the design, but in most cases I don't think it makes much difference. I have several rifles with hand-detachable mounts, and I like the ability to remove and replace a scope easily without loss of zero. I have some with thumbscrews, some with lever releases and one with claws. I haven't found any issue with ejection or refilling a mag from the top arising from them being set up on the same side as the ejection port on the bolt-actions or lever actions, and of course no difference at all with various break-actions. Having levers on the right side has the advantage that they don't tend to snag against my clothes or belt when I have the rifle held in my right hand, or against my hip, but otherwise it really isn't something I particularly worry about.

Edited to add: In lever releases I like the ones made by Lynx. The lever on these is quite unobtrusive.

Brad I'm NOT arguing with you. I understand your pointS.

I am Right handed but OFTEN put my rifle on my Left shoulder, I'm almost ambidextrous - so that's part of it.
I - LIKE - the large screw heads, et.al. on the Left side - away from the load / eject port. It's more a matter of having a
CLEAN side where the bolt handle is. I find it more appealing, I see the R side more than the L.

A simple matter of personal preference.

Jerry
Right side for me. Keeps the left side clean.

A note on the levers: they should face in a direction so that recoil tends to keep them tight.rather than loosen them.
Originally Posted by jwall

I am Right handed but OFTEN put my rifle on my Left shoulder, I'm almost ambidextrous

A simple matter of personal preference.

Jerry

Well of course it is... good grief, I would have thought that was self evident. That's why I stipulated I'm a right hander for my prefrence.

As a backpack/mountain hunter I use a sling a LOT. Many don't hunt that way and rarely even use a sling so it becomes a moot point for them. Everything is personal preference, but within that preference there's always a couple choices, one of which will often make more sense than the other. Capiche?

I've always run them on the left side. (right handed)

But I've gotten away from them for a "hunting" gun, and have relegated the remaining to my prairie dog rifles, for quick switches out on the prairie if needed.

I've always 'tweaked" them a bit to get them snug enough to need a little help with pliers for removal.

Guaranteed those won't come loose on their own.......
I sold my last set with the rifle, and just use STD bases now. I actually never had a need to detach the scope in the field. So, nott missed. I can see where a Bear Guide would use them though, or dangerous game.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don't know who GF1 is.

Sorry to disappoint, but I’m not in the ACGG nor am I a gunsmith by any stretch. I am a lifelong user and hunter though.

As my profession has come up here, for the record I am an Air Force retiree (32 years, 7 mos, 2 days in service). “GF1” is the abbreviation for “Gunfighter 1,” the call sign of the commander of the 366th Fighter Wing, at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. My departure gift from downtown friends was a registered brand, GF1. Minor mystery solved.
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I sold my last set with the rifle, and just use STD bases now. I actually never had a need to detach the scope in the field. So, nott missed. I can see where a Bear Guide would use them though, or dangerous game.

When traveling on a hunt where a backup gun isn't feasible, a 2nd scope zeroed and ready to go can be a trip saver.
We have had back-up scopes, zero’d and ready to go, for nearly 10 years now. The scopes are always back in camp. A couple of minutes, and your back in business! memtb

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the background of this question?

I see GF1 provided a well written response to my question with sound rationale. I appreciate the response. Can you clarify if I’m missing something?
Originally Posted by GF1

I wonder if you know who GF1 is ?

Sorry to disappoint, but I’m not in the ACGG nor am I a gunsmith by any stretch. I am a lifelong user and hunter though.

As my profession has come up here, for the record I am an Air Force retiree (32 years, 7 mos, 2 days in service). “GF1” is the abbreviation for “Gunfighter 1,” the call sign of the commander of the 366th Fighter Wing, at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. My departure gift from downtown friends was a registered brand, GF1. Minor mystery solved.

Apparently Brad did not know either.
Originally Posted by GF1

Exactly right...assuming one uses a sling and actually hunts with the rifle. I position the levers so they are out of the way of the ejection port; never had an issue quickly reloading.

Makes sense.
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don't know who GF1 is.

My apology. Your handle is close to another guys here who is in the business... I obviously got you confused.
None required! I consider being accused of being a riflesmith quite a compliment.
© 24hourcampfire