Home
Any one ever swap out their Tikka stocks with a Mcmillan?

Weights?

Thinking I would do the Tikka/Sako hunter in edge fill,

Am I gaining weight, losing or about the same?

Weights on pretty good digital scale.

Tikka factory synthetic stock w/Limbsaver pad (and bottom metal) - 30.8 oz.

Tikka factory synthetic stock w/factory pad- (and bottom metal) - 29.4 oz.

McMillan Rem 700 SA Hunters EDGE 25.3 oz.

McMillan Rem 700 LA Hunters Edge 23 oz. (more material removed for action cutout???)
You aren’t really saving that much weight. The one edge for a tikka I bothered to weight was right around 25.5 oz without metal. If I really wanted to shave more than that I’d look at a wildcat.
My two Tikka Sako Hunter Edge fill stocks weighed about 27-28 oz, and were within an ounce or so of the factory T3 stocks they replaced.
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
My two Tikka Sako Hunter Edge fill stocks weighed about 27-28 oz, and were within an ounce or so of the factory T3 stocks they replaced.

Sounds right. Mine is a t3 hunters edge - no cheek piece.
I guess I missed a detail, This specific rifle/stock would be a T3x lite if that would change any numbers.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
You aren’t really saving that much weight. The one edge for a tikka I bothered to weight was right around 25.5 oz without metal. If I really wanted to shave more than that I’d look at a wildcat.

Not about shaving weight,

Rifle has is weighs 7.5, I don't think I'd care to go any lighter.

I have rifles at 8.5 to 9lbs, therefore I consider 7.5 light.

The purpose of this thread, thanks.

Can I assume the T3x stock would have similar weight?
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Not about shaving weight,

Rifle has is weighs 7.5, I don't think I'd care to go any lighter.

I have rifles at 8.5 to 9lbs, therefore I consider 7.5 light.

Apologies for my incorrect inference.
Usually when folks are asking about edge fill it’s with the intent of weight reduction - but you know what they say about assuming.
Cheers.
Ken,

Just PM'd you, you only save maybe 3-4 ozs over factory. But I will say the McMillan changes that rifle from a nice rifle into a really nice hunting rig IMHO. If you like the overall feel of a Hunters Edge stock you will surely like it on the Tikka, its a pleasure to carry while hunting.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Ken,

Just PM'd you, you only save maybe 3-4 ozs over factory. But I will say the McMillan changes that rifle from a nice rifle into a really nice hunting rig IMHO. If you like the overall feel of a Hunters Edge stock you will surely like it on the Tikka, its a pleasure to carry while hunting.

Send me your Edge for a test drive,

with these prices, hell of a roll of the dice.
Mine is in a Brown ,@ 22oz
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Ken,

Totally agree. Mine is a 7mm-08 T3x superlite with a high-desert aluminum bottom metal and a McMillan Edge. Bought a couple M+ magazines and its a joy to shoot and balances great.
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Was unaware that Brown inlets for tikkas. What did that stock run you?

Not exactly sure as how close the 3x stock is to the 3 as I don’t have one to weigh. I’d imagine they would be pretty close though. Also, lots of folks are mentioning the McMillan Hunters Edge stock, which is usually a few ounces lighter than the Sako Hunter with Edge fill. My Hunters Edge stocks weighed about 23-25 oz compared with the Sako Hunter Edge fill, which mine weigh 27-28 oz. Personally I prefer the Sako Hunter pattern over the Hunters Edge for what I do, but the Hunters Edge is a very nice stock as well.

Not exactly sure as how close the 3x stock is to the 3 as I don’t have one to weigh. I’d imagine they would be pretty close though. Also, lots of folks are mentioning the McMillan Hunters Edge stock, which is usually a few ounces lighter than the Sako Hunter with Edge fill. My Hunters Edge stocks weighed about 23-25 oz compared with the Sako Hunter Edge fill, which mine weigh 27-28 oz. Personally I prefer the Sako Hunter pattern over the Hunters Edge for what I do, but the Hunters Edge is a very nice stock as well.

From a weight perspective the Mcmillan is not worth it, from a "feel" perspective it is a nice upgrade.
My McMillan Hunters Edge stock for my T3 weighs 26 ounces. The factory T3 stocks weighs 31 ounces. To me, saving 5 ounces, better ergos, (in my opinion), and better looks was worth the $532 that the Mc cost me. If they are now closer to $700, IMHO, it is not so much worth it. RJ
Originally Posted by KU_Geo
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Was unaware that Brown inlets for tikkas. What did that stock run you?

Was a 700 Rem inlet. It was sent to Rick at Extreme Rifleworks who fit it perfectly to the Tikka
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

From a weight perspective the Mcmillan is not worth it, from a "feel" perspective it is a nice upgrade.

Agreed, without a doubt.
Originally Posted by rj308
My McMillan Hunters Edge stock for my T3 weighs 26 ounces. The factory T3 stocks weighs 31 ounces. To me, saving 5 ounces, better ergos, (in my opinion), and better looks was worth the $532 that the Mc cost me. If they are now closer to $700, IMHO, it is not so much worth it. RJ

Holy crap, you could buy another Tikka for what you paid for the stock!

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by rj308

Holy crap, you could buy another Tikka for what you paid for the stock!

P

Possibly Not for long... Tikka seems determined to sell their higher end rifles here, and all of the 2020 rifles will be of those ilk, which were announced during SHOT. Projected prices of those rifles is $900-1200 or so. It’s not clear yet if they are going to continue bringing in their full line of regular (non fluted/non Cerakoted) rifles in all current calibers, or just in a limited number of calibers. I guess we will see what they are bringing in this year.
© 24hourcampfire