Home
Picked up my new Barrett FC today... this rifle feels awesome. 6CM. Thanks to everyone here who gave advice regarding the chambering. Got a couple ammo options also. Barnes was ordered on sale through Midway before the craziness and Hornady was picked up today with a discounted gift card, so still a good deal even though it was sticker price.

On to the craziness.. ammo shelves were almost bare. No 223/5.56 or 9mm at all. Very little pistol ammo in general. Very few pistols or semi-auto rifles left and they were getting bought left and right. The background check cue was over 900, I think I heard one sales guy tell a customer they were 941 of 945?? Thank goodness I got immediate approval.

Store limit was 2 boxes per caliber per customer. I'm really glad I've been buying up deals on 223/5.56 and 9mm for the last couple years whenever great deals popped up (which WAS frequently). I think we are in for a long drought, not to mention all the other corona difficulties (sickness, economy, work, travel, etc, etc).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice rifle. I've the same gun and its a tack driver.
WTF would you need 1k rounds of any ammo for?
You plan on a shooting war?
With who?
How's that different than hoarding TP?
Originally Posted by ringworm
With who?

It doesn't take me to long to go through 1000 rounds when I have a little free time.
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Picked up my new Barrett FC today... this rifle feels awesome. 6CM. Thanks to everyone here who gave advice regarding the chambering. Got a couple ammo options also. Barnes was ordered on sale through Midway before the craziness and Hornady was picked up today with a discounted gift card, so still a good deal even though it was sticker price.

On to the craziness.. ammo shelves were almost bare. No 223/5.56 or 9mm at all. Very little pistol ammo in general. Very few pistols or semi-auto rifles left and they were getting bought left and right. The background check cue was over 900, I think I heard one sales guy tell a customer they were 941 of 945?? Thank goodness I got immediate approval.

Store limit was 2 boxes per caliber per customer. I'm really glad I've been buying up deals on 223/5.56 and 9mm for the last couple years whenever great deals popped up (which WAS frequently). I think we are in for a long drought, not to mention all the other corona difficulties (sickness, economy, work, travel, etc, etc).

Damn shame they never configured those FC's in left handed...........

Hopefully this was TIC.
With who?

Ringworm, who are you talking to? No one said anything about 1k rounds of ammo or hoarding... all I said was I bought enough ammo when it was very cheap and very plentiful to be comfortable now that it is suddenly scarce and more expensive. Based on your comments though, I’m glad to know we have presidential candidate on this forum. Unfortunately Mr. Biden, you won’t be getting my vote.
With who?

Lol.

Nice rifle OP, I wanted one of the threaded models in 7mm-08, but it looks like I've waited too long.
CORDrew,
I have two of those Fieldcrafts in 6CM......one plain barrel
and the other suppressed. They shoot the Hornadys very well
but please keep us posted on the Barnes results.
With who?

I've done 1000 rounds of 12 gauge in an afternoon....
With who?

I’m guessing you don’t go to the range very often.

One trip to the range for me can easily end up as 50-100 rounds of centerfire rifle, 100-200 rounds of centerfire pistol and 100 to 300 rounds of rimfire. This is an average trip where I’m just bringing a few guns for some training and gun shooting. If I’m taking a class or doing some serious shooting I can burn far more in one trip.

I try to go shooting at least twice a month. I shoot many, many thousands of rounds a year. For some calibers I shoot my stockpile is over 10K rounds.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hopefully this was TIC.

From what I've observed, the folks preaching most about hoarding are the ones who buy 80 packs of Clorox wipes or 1000 rolls of TP the second they find them... so yes, hopefully TIC, or maybe just someone cranky they got to the store and found empty ammo shelves?
9mm - the universal currency when the end-times come.
I don't buy ammo, I build ammo....so keeping 1k isn't necessary for me.
I'll roll more.
Yes , heavy TIC.
Congrats!! You will love it.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by CORDrew

Damn shame they never configured those FC's in left handed...........

+1.
Barrett is posting on their web sight that the FC rifles are on hold due to big military orders of their other rifles.That 6mm CM looks like a handy little rifle.
Seriously? ( UH-hhhmmmmm )

Would Be thinking the .19 Covid Chamber...
Originally Posted by GravyMeister
Seriously? ( UH-hhhmmmmm )

Would Be thinking the .19 Covid Chamber...

Old news. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14490919/barrett-fieldcraft
With who?

If you know how many rounds you have, you ain’t got enough.
Mine will group the Hornady 108 eldm into about 1/4 in. The 6 mm CM is going to be my deer rifle this year for sure.
^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

I have two of the Fieldcraft 6CMs and they both perform like that right out of the box.
I don't buy ammo, I build ammo....so keeping 1k isn't necessary for me.
I'll roll more.
Yes , heavy TIC.

Ok you were sarcastic fine , but remember this anytime you have empty brass ,you don't have enough ammo and just like there is no such thing as to much money ,there is no such thing as to much ammo. MB
Fwiw I burn through 1k of 9x19 every two months.

I can’t reload 9x19 as cheaply as I can buy it.
My 270 win F C groups every time I shoot it. Less than 1/2". 130gr. Nosler Partitions.
I’d probably buy a 6 creed in a Fieldcraft if I could find the right deal. FYI my 6.5 shoots the eld-x well under an inch all day, every day. Give us a range report!

As far as gun shop craziness, I’ve only heard about it. I’ve not stepped foot in one for a month or more. I did call my buddy and he said his store is going crazy with business! First time gun buyers are a dime a dozen right now. Crazy times. I hear tale that even once (self proclaimed) anti-gun folks are buying handguns and home defense shotguns....let’s see how that goes.
Originally Posted by Remington280
Mine will group the Hornady 108 eldm into about 1/4 in. The 6 mm CM is going to be my deer rifle this year for sure.

Mine does the same with hand loaded 108s.

Bb
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hopefully this was TIC.

More likely TIA, transient ischemic attack, some folks like to shoot. I continue to twitch when I think about getting the OP's rifle. Seeing your hits through the scope is a concept that haunts this 308w shooter.

mike r
Has anyone heard if Barrett is going to start making the Fieldcraft again.
Originally Posted by swampkid

Yes . Due to hit retail shelves April 1, 2022 as reported here.
Originally Posted by Quak

Hah! How times have changed!
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Yes . Due to hit retail shelves April 1, 2022 as reported here.

Thank you for the laugh... smile
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Quak

Hah! How times have changed!

Just thinking on costs.....I haven't run the numbers. It may still be cheaper to buy than reload if you look at the current price of primers!
With who?

Practice is a thing....
Well I ran them, based on new brass and Sierra HP bullets purchased this year, and powder and primers I have at what I paid for them awhile back. Came to just over $.50 each, but of course the brass is a one-time expense, kinda-sorta.

Last 9mm ammo I bought, in August, was some Winny Whitebox HB, in a pack of 1000, all I could find online that day. Those were $.38 each, tax and shipping included. That Winny usually seems to run a bit more than most imports.

Not gonna figure it with current crazy-azz primer prices, since I have plenty, and this nonsense will pass, before I run out.🤞🏻
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
... It may still be cheaper to buy than reload if you look at the current price of primers! ...

LOL ! ! ! ... I have new primed brass that I bought several years ago where the primers that are now worth more than what I paid for the brass and primers...
Originally Posted by swampkid

I called Barrett last week to ask about the Fieldcraft. I was told that they have contracts in place for other guns in to next year but it was possible that they might make them again in 2022 or later. It didn’t sound real likely to me.
With who?

WTF would you name yourself after a fungal disease?
Originally Posted by goalie
With who?

Practice is a thing....

It's new to some. grin
© 24hourcampfire