Home
If you have the above rifle combination would like to hear from you. I had an 85 in .270 that had problems, but I returned it and Beretta gave me a refund. I have seen many comments about only long actions having ejection problems. I would appreciate any feedback from 85 WSM owners. Thank you,
Tag
Gramps, are you really that much of a gluten for punishment? You do realize there are more damn rifles out there than Sako. I for one have told you about my buddies finnlight chambered in 300WSM. It has problems with ejection. Those are typical with that model. Buy a Tikka. They are better and cost less.
With all the great bolt action rifles chambered in .300 WSM available Why even take the chance? I would shop for one of the many designs that don't have a history of issues but if your heart is set on a Sako 85 I had a model 85 Finnlight chambered in .300 WSM that if you mounted the scope high it ejected OK but I also had a model 85 Finnlight chambered in .270 Win that would eject a spent case straight up into the bottom of the scope no matter how high you mounted it, I sent it back to Beretta and they said the rifle was in spec and basically told me to go pound sand, so you was lucky to get a refund.....best of luck...Hb
I had a finnlight in 300 wsm that ejected fine
This is still a problem that evidently Sako refuses to acknowledge. Its the positioning of the ejector and the angle it kicks out cases. Cases would hit the windage turret on my .204 and a 30-06. Both were wickedly accurate but both were sent down the road. Slow-mo's were posted here and on U Tube.
My Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM has ejected perfectly thru every one of its 430 rounds fired. It feeds like butter & ejects like butter. The scope is mounted on medium height Talley’s to facilitate my carrying the rifle by the scope tube. I don’t use slings. I could easily choose it as primary over my other 8 rifles. I can remove the scope as often as I like and it goes right back to zero. I have removed the stock several times, worked the barreled action over for maintenance & it returned to zero each time. Has been 100 % reliable through all of its use. Bought it in 2009.
I'm a 300wsm whore, but never heard of this issue. Following.
Had a 85 270 WSM that would hit scope bottom every time. Sometimes would end up back in the action but backwards. Scope wasn’t overly low. Used optilocks. Also have 270 win, 30-06 and 7rm. Only one that doesn’t hit the scope is the 7rm.

So 3 out of 4 of mine hit the scope.
Originally Posted by Horseman
Had a 85 270 WSM that would hit scope bottom every time. Sometimes would end up back in the action but backwards. Scope wasn’t overly low. Used optilocks. Also have 270 win, 30-06 and 7rm. Only one that doesn’t hit the scope is the 7rm.

Its just a poorly designed system. Anyone that swears they have never had or seen issues with these is living in a leupy fantasy land.
Well I guess that I have been sufficiently chastised, and rightly so. The 85 is like a good looking sexy woman sitting all alone in the local bar. You have had a few too many, so you take the chance in hopes of finding her friendly, and hopefully willing. However, you don't know what baggage goes along with the whole package. Hell, the next morning she ain't quite as fine as you thought the night before, and she could be down right ugly, and bitchy. So I will leave her sleeping, get my clothes on, and quietly exit from room 85 of the Sako hotel. Thanks to all who slapped me back to reality, and I shall never mention her or stray again. No fool like an old fool. A good day to all! P.S. I have already bought a Win 70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM and the same in .270 Win. Just can't forget how sexy that 85 looks and feels. They weigh more than the 85 and they have the Bell and Carlson 2x4's on them, but they will eject the hell out of a live or spent round even with low rings. Old, but not in the home yet.
I don’t blame you Gramps — I had an 85 Finnlight in 270 win that had the ejection problem. Sent it down the road but that rifle shot so well and fit me so well I am still tempted to try and get one again.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Horseman

Its just a poorly designed system. Anyone that swears they have never had or seen issues with these is living in a leupy fantasy land.

I thought I saw someone posted that there’s a fix to this problem? An ejector spring or something??
The only real "fix" is to redesign the action with the ejector in the proper (and obvious) location.

Some have apparently managed to make some rifles function with a "kluge" accomplished by playing with ejector springs.
If you want a Sako 85 so bad, buy a Fierce custom. You get the benefits of the 85 without the vexation of the poorly designed ejector location. Problem solved.

I would have had mine not worked out.
You made an excellent choice Gramps, enjoy your Winchesters, they should be excellent rifles 👍....Good hunting....Hb
Originally Posted by Reloder28
If you want a Sako 85 so bad, buy a Fierce custom. You get the benefits of the 85 without the vexation of the poorly designed ejector location. Problem solved.

Just curious, but what has Fierce done differently? Is their ejector in a different location? Thanks!
Originally Posted by Alex38
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Just curious, but what has Fierce done differently? Is their ejector in a different location? Thanks!

Nope.....Hb
My Finnlight 300wsm was a jammer, I bought it used. Bullet shoulder had a nice dent in it.
Good thing my son’s first shot at a moose was through the heart.
Got rid of it this year.
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Well I guess that I have been sufficiently chastised, and rightly so. The 85 is like a good looking sexy woman sitting all alone in the local bar. You have had a few too many, so you take the chance in hopes of finding her friendly, and hopefully willing. However, you don't know what baggage goes along with the whole package. Hell, the next morning she ain't quite as fine as you thought the night before, and she could be down right ugly, and bitchy. So I will leave her sleeping, get my clothes on, and quietly exit from room 85 of the Sako hotel. Thanks to all who slapped me back to reality, and I shall never mention her or stray again. No fool like an old fool. A good day to all! P.S. I have already bought a Win 70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM and the same in .270 Win. Just can't forget how sexy that 85 looks and feels. They weigh more than the 85 and they have the Bell and Carlson 2x4's on them, but they will eject the hell out of a live or spent round even with low rings. Old, but not in the home yet.

I still would have bought a Tikka superlite over the ew. Any day of the week. Especially if you like Sako's. At least the Tikka is going to function properly...and it's a whole lot less expensive...
I have two 85’s. The other is a 308 that also functions flawlessly.
I had a Sako 85 Finnlight in 270WSM. Ejected shells would hit scope and often falling back into the action causing it to jamb. Rifle was sent back to Beretta and money refunded. The engineers need a kick up the $&@ for putting the ejector in that position.
Originally Posted by Chiro
I had a Sako 85 Finnlight in 270WSM. Ejected shells would hit scope and often falling back into the action causing it to jamb. Rifle was sent back to Beretta and money refunded. The engineers need a kick up the $&@ for putting the ejector in that position.

How long ago was this? And I assume you purchased the rifle new?
My 2 Sako 75's have been sold one in 30-06 and the other 7mm Rem mag. Does anyone that owns a 75 experience these problems because I sure did not?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My 2 Sako 75's have been sold one in 30-06 and the other 7mm Rem mag. Does anyone that owns a 75 experience these problems because I sure did not?

I have a couple of 75s and have had a couple others, and I have a couple of 85s. Never a problem of any kind with any of them. However, mine were and are all short actions.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have been told this was not an issue on the 75's.
I have three Sako 85 rifles. A .308 HB target model, a 7x64 Bavarian and a .375 H&H Kodiak. The .308 is perfect in all respects. The other two both ejected cases at a higher arc than I liked. Cases would hit the right hand turret of the scope. I use duplex scope reticles so a very easy and obvious fix was to turn the scope 90° counterclockwise and the problem was solved. Actually made me wonder why all scopes are not designed to be mounted with turrets on top and on the left side, leaving the ejection port more accessible. So that's one solution.

But I like to tinker and analyze rifles. The design of the M85 extractor is a bigger problem than the position of the ejector on these rifles. They have a few thousandths of an inch too much clearance between extractor claw and the face of the bolt. This allows a bit of upward momentum to build when the loosely held case is ejected. I tried a fix promoted by others by replacing the extractor spring with a stronger one. That $5 fix worked OK and for a short time improved ejection angle on the 7x64, but I think all it was doing was grabbing the case with a little more friction on the outside of the rim. As the extractor got polished up with use, the friction decreased and ejection angle was back to " too high". Not good.

I had a skilled machinist build me new extractors with only 0.005" clearance for the cartridge rim. Three new extractor claws only cost me $50. I kept one for a spare and installed two of them in the 7x64 and the .375. Both rifles work perfectly now. Ejection is positive, smooth and at a proper low angle with plenty of scope clearance. I would now have no hesitation using my .375 for hunting dangerous game with a low mounted scope attached.
Originally Posted by castnblast
I had a skilled machinist build me new extractors with only 0.005" clearance for the cartridge rim..

Wow, that’s pretty tight.
Just go buy a Weatherby Mark V and dispense with the irritants. Happy Trails

So Gramps2 was around back in 2007 ish when all this started... I remember both of us on some threads...

So is this really a question ?
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

So Gramps2 was around back in 2007 ish when all this started... I remember both of us on some threads...

So is this really a question ?

I also remember when gramps initially had the problems. It was never a question. I think it was more of a concern and a gripe way back then. A lot of guys kind of shunned him, but why? The sako in question has issues. Hell, i bought an A7 6.5 creedmoor and it even has issues. I had to switch scopes because it ejected the spent cartridges right into the turret and fell back down into the loading port. This particular sako is slightly re-designed and has a spring loaded plunger to keep pressure on the cartridge, similar to the rem 700. But the ejector is still in a piss poor position. I dont know what the engineers were thinking when they thought it was good idea for the weird position of the ejector. Just looking at it makes you think, "boy that is fu cking stupid"....
My 85 8x57 sometimes leaves a case in the magazine box if I work the bolt back slowly. If I work the bolt hard the case just dribbles out of the action and falls at my feet. I'll have to get it looked at. But Sako definitely stuffed up the 85 model compared to the 75 model. And they don't seem really concerned or care about fixing it.
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Originally Posted by Chiro

How long ago was this? And I assume you purchased the rifle new?

Around 3-4 years ago. And yes purchased the rifle new. I’d still have video of the ejected shell jamming the action somewhere on a hard drive.
Interesting explanation. My Sako 85 30-06 will lay brass in the mag well with slow bolt action, but will fling them clear with a regular bolt racking. All my other Sakos are similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc2NGbq30lE&app=desktop
Hunted with a Finnlight 85 in both 25-06 and 300 WSM never had either jam, currently hunting with a 85 Finnlight in 30-06 no issues. Bought a used 85 Finnlight in 7mm-08, only had it to the range once but seemed fine. Next trip I will try and shoot and cycle it both fast and slow BUT first 3 were fine would be surprised if this one fails.
See vahillbilly response. I'd get something else.
© 24hourcampfire