Home
Looking through my "stuff" and I found an Obermeyer 11.25 twist 30 cal barrel, both LA and SA Remington receivers. I'm trying to remember if I've ever had a 308, but am leaning that way. The barrel has what I call a Remington mag. contour. It will be a hunting rig. I've wildcated for years, but not really looking to do that on this one.
What are your thoughts?
A 308 has a lot going for it. But the game you hunt may play a part in your choice. My 300WSM shoots really well with a 11.25 barrel.
I do have a 300 SAUM that shoots lights out and I like it. It may be like several that I have, mostly a safe queen. I have an 06, 30BR, 280AI, 300SAUM, 260, 6.5X47L, 6.5 Creedmore, 7x57, 257 Roberts, and bigbores. Deer size cartridge will probably be the max for it as I have larger cartridges if needed.
I’d want more speed with a slow twist barrel than a 308 offers.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I’d want more speed with a slow twist barrel than a 308 offers.

I have 308 bullets from 112 to 220 on hand. I will also qualify that my personal limit for hunting game animals is 300yds. My Grandson has a 16 twist 30 barrel on his Mod 7 and it is an excellent shooter. Remember, I've had this barrel in the stack for over 20yrs, I don't have to buy one.
Butchlambert: I think the 308 Winchester caliber would be a wonderful choice.
I "made" myself a Remington Mountain Rifle LONG before Big Green even began thinking of a name for their Mountain Rifle 700 model. And the caliber I chose was 308 Winchester.
It has served me exceptionally well as I have taken 3 varieties of Deer with it, Elk, 2 Black Bears, a few Antelope and a world class Mt. Goat with it - and it is as accurate today as it was when I put it together 35+ years ago.
When you get your Rifle "done" (and if it is in 308 Winchester caliber) be sure and try the wonderful Nosler 165 grain Partitions in it - its all I have ever needed/used.
Best of luck in your venture.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: domit Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/22/20
can't miss with the 3006. may be old fashioned but works well on everything. I have 2, my go to rifle and another just like it for backup. god bless and stay safe.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a 30-06, but no 308. I guess I should have said, talk me out of the 308.
I'll also vote for the 300WSM. Since your barrel has a "mag contour". I had one with a 11.25 twist barrel and it was a fantastic shooter. Don't like the 308w much..
I am with 1917!!
I also forgot to mention that my bolts have 308 bolt faces. BSA, with a 300SAUM and a 300 WMag, the WSM would superfluous. It works well for some though.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'll also vote for the 300WSM. Since your barrel has a "mag contour". I had one with a 11.25 twist barrel and it was a fantastic shooter. Don't like the 308w much..

I guess my post is out in space. I need to mention that my bolt faces are 308 size. I have a 300SAUM and a 300WMag, so a 300WSM would be superfluous.The WSM is a good cartridge, but?
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I also forgot to mention that my bolts have 308 bolt faces. BSA, with a 300SAUM and a 300 WMag, the WSM would superfluous. It works well for some though.

Yeah, I agree. The saum and WSM are 2 peas in a pod.. Good luck with your decision. A heavy barreled 308 is great to shoot off the bench, but not a whole lot of fun in the field. However, I pack around old sporterized m1917's so heavy rifles also work in the field, as you well know... If you have a .473 bolt face and don't want to open up it up, the 308 seems like a great choice. That or the old war horse 30-06....
.30/06
I have a 1917 in 416 Rigby and a Remington 30 in 30-06
I think a 308 is the ideal scenario.
Posted By: szihn Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/22/20
If I was to use the long action, I'd make a 30-06. If I used the short action I'd go with a 308. Just how I'd do it, but YOU should do it the way you will be happiest.
Since I have a 30-06 and no 308 a 308 it will be.
Butch,

Every 30 caliber barrel I have bought from Boots Obermeyer has been a 11 or 11.25 twist. I have called Boots several times and I would be thinking a 10 twist for a new barrel project. He said the only reason a 30/06 was standardized for a .30/06 was to shot the 220 grain bullet. Boots would always talk me into a 11 or 11.25 barrel twist. He says that a 30/06 or 300 mag with 10:1 twist is too fast for anything under a 220 grain bullet. I would suck it up and follow Obermeyer's advice. He must be right because they always shot great!
Go with the 308 Win. It's a boring but great cartridge.
Originally Posted by Texasdude29
Butch,

Every 30 caliber barrel I have bought from Boots Obermeyer has been a 11 or 11.25 twist. I have called Boots several times and I would be thinking a 10 twist for a new barrel project. He said the only reason a 30/06 was standardized for a .30/06 was to shot the 220 grain bullet. Boots would always talk me into a 11 or 11.25 barrel twist. He says that a 30/06 or 300 mag with 10:1 twist is too fast for anything under a 220 grain bullet. I would suck it up and follow Obermeyer's advice. He must be right because they always shot great!

It is a 11.25 twist. I do know some folks that shot Palma with the same barrel with a different contour. The 220 is great on the 28-30" barrels. I will play with it after building to see what it likes. I believe it will shoot most anything under MOA with a hot, cold, dirty, or clean barrel to the same POA. Good enough to kill whatever I hunt with it to 300 yards.
Posted By: Brad Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/22/20
11.25" twist is perfect for the 308. That's what I'd do.

Anyone that thinks that twist won't stabilize up to 200 grain bullets just hasn't worked with a 308 much. It's a wonderfully forgiving round, where older guys end up after realizing recoil doesn't kill BG animals...
Posted By: Huntr Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by Brad
11.25" twist is perfect for the 308. That's what I'd do.

Anyone that thinks that twist won't stabilize up to 200 grain bullets just hasn't worked with a 308 much. It's a wonderfully forgiving round, where older guys end up after realizing recoil doesn't kill BG animals...

Brad sure saved me from some typing! 308 is the clear winner!
Posted By: RinB Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/22/20

For you, a 30 BR. Use 125 Ballistic Tips. 18”.
Just right for deer in Texas out to 300. Super accurate. No recoil.
I cant talk you out of a .308 Win as it is an excellent cartridge 👍......Hb
Posted By: Fotis Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/23/20
308 Win
.340" neck
.3085" throat
300 Savage. Duh....
Posted By: xausa Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/23/20
At one time I had three identical match rifles in caliber .308 Winchester and fired literally thousands of rounds through them. My only perfect scores with a match rifle at 600 yards were fired with the .308, 20 shots prone, slow fire, at a target with a 12" ten ring, fired with iron sights. The majority of shots were also in the 6" "X" ring.

I also have several hunting rifles in .308, including a Winchester Models 70, 88 and a 100. All are deadly on deer. I would recommend the caliber unequivocally.
Posted By: micky Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/23/20
So, how about the 300 Holland and Holland? Got a bit more style, old school cool, just be fun to build.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Looking through my "stuff" and I found an Obermeyer 11.25 twist 30 cal barrel, both LA and SA Remington receivers. I'm trying to remember if I've ever had a 308, but am leaning that way. The barrel has what I call a Remington mag. contour. It will be a hunting rig. I've wildcated for years, but not really looking to do that
on this one.
What are your thoughts?

What I'd do is ream that dude to a .308 Norma Mag and don't look back. It gives up little to a .300 Win Mag and probably about the same ballstics as a .300 WSM but with more cool factor.
A very underrated cartridge.
It will be a 308. I have a 30BR, 30-06, 300SAUM, and a 300 WinMag.
I have always leaned towards odd-ball calibers, especially in lever guns. Recently I decided it was time to go more main stream.
I looked long and hard at the 350 Rem Mag but the lack of components caused me to look at the 338 Federal. The 308 Winchester is a great base caliber. Nothing great ballistically but consistently gets the job done, so long as you stay within practical limits so far as bullet weight/type/maker and range. And ammo or components are readily available.
I always preferred a big bigger bore so I am giving the 338 Federal a try. But the 308 Winchester was a real close second. And if you don't like the 308 Winchester, it can easily be pushed out to a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester while still keeping the short action.
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I have always leaned towards odd-ball calibers, especially in lever guns. Recently I decided it was time to go more main stream.
I looked long and hard at the 350 Rem Mag but the lack of components caused me to look at the 338 Federal. The 308 Winchester is a great base caliber. Nothing great ballistically but consistently gets the job done, so long as you stay within practical limits so far as bullet weight/type/maker and range. And ammo or components are readily available.
I always preferred a big bigger bore so I am giving the 338 Federal a try. But the 308 Winchester was a real close second. And if you don't like the 308 Winchester, it can easily be pushed out to a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester while still keeping the short action.

You are correct.
Posted By: JPro Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/23/20
For a lot of my hunting, I have come back to the .308win in recent years. It’s easy to work with for loads, has gobs of components, and isn’t rough on the shoulder. I like tinkering with new stuff and enjoy ballistic gack like many here, but when I was recently looking for a “whatever, whenever rifle”, I went with a mag-sporter 22” SS .308 bolt gun. I’ve never had bad results on game with a .308 either, even with rather sedate 165gr/2650fps loads in carbines. Most of my preferred hunting loads these days are 150/155gr at 2,850+.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: What cartridge do I choose? - 03/23/20
I agree on your choice of the .308, especially if you’re planning on keeping shots inside of 300 yards. No reason to endure more recoil.
Butch, I have to laugh when I see you asking this question on this forum- a bit like throwing raw meat out to a bunch of hungry and bored lions.... LOL

308 for your purposes should be a great choice and fill in your small gap just about perfectly.... IMO...

Bob
Originally Posted by Sheister
Butch, I have to laugh when I see you asking this question on this forum- a bit like throwing raw meat out to a bunch of hungry and bored lions.... LOL

308 for your purposes should be a great choice and fill in your small gap just about perfectly.... IMO...

Bob

Thanks Bob, kinda knew what I was getting into, but not much going on around here.
© 24hourcampfire