Home
Had a rifle shipped to my FFL, today. I was number 12,370 in the background check que for just Colorado buyers. 4+ day wait on the background check. Sheesh.
Posted By: shinbone Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20
Don't know where I am in the que, but my LGS reports that as of this morning, wait times are now 4.5 days.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20
My FFL got me done in about 45 minutes last night. He had no wait first thing yesterday morning.
Posted By: shinbone Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20
Good to hear you experienced only a minor delay. I guess I should fire my FFL.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by shinbone

But it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book. right.🤣
Posted By: Infidel Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20

You would do better by firing your state government.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20
Also interesting: how many people are going to skip paying use tax on guns bought online for 2020 taxes... there's no way states are going to be able to keep up with it all. Half of them can't under normal circumstances.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20

Depends on time of day I bet.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: #12,370 - 03/24/20
Yet another reason to be glad I live where I do.

Sign the form and out the door.......
Posted By: Hesp Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20
Don't know where I am in the que, but my LGS reports that as of this morning, wait times are now 4.5 days.

Hey Shinbone what do you need another rifle for ?? I know you have a great Win 70 EW 264. ...
Posted By: Fotis Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20
Get a concealed carry permit and skip the check
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20
That's is a lot of happy firearm owners. Any idea how many background checks they process on a normal day?
Posted By: Sako Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20
That is crazy... just bought a new .45 this past weekend ( a few days ago) and waited about 30 minutes... and the place was PACKED... hardly standing room... this was Tennessee...
Posted By: Sako Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Fotis

I wise that was true everywhere... I have a carry permit in TN and still have to go through the background check and pay $10 for the privilege...
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20

Or move to Missouri.
Posted By: shinbone Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Hesp
Hey Shinbone what do you need another rifle for ?? I know you have a great Win 70 EW 264. ...

Hesp - That was my first, thought, too. My M70 in .264WM sure covers a lot of bases. But, that new rifle was all shiny and purty, so I wasn't able to resist.

Originally Posted by fotis

I do have a CCW, but in Colorado you still have to do a background check each time you buy a firearm. Doesn't make any sense.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
That's is a lot of happy firearm owners. Any idea how many background checks they process on a normal day?

Not sure the number, but usually there is no wait. That's why 4+ day wait is so notable.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20

Originally Posted by fotis

I do have a CCW, but in Colorado you still have to do a background check each time you buy a firearm. Doesn't make any sense.
[/quote]

The way the loophole works is that if the requirements of getting a concealed carry permit satisfy the same investigatory requirements as an NICS check for a handgun...bearer of said permit doesn't need to submit to a background check. They already passed the background check to get the license.

List of states that ATF recognizes

Last updated: March 3, 2020

Note: Notwithstanding the dates set forth below, permits qualify as alternatives to the background check requirements of the Brady law for no more than 5 years from the date of issuance. The permit must be valid under state law in order to qualify as a Brady alternative.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

State / Territory Qualifying Permits
Alabama None
Alaska Concealed weapons permits marked NICS-Exempt
American Samoa None
Arizona Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Arkansas Concealed weapons permits issued on or after April 1, 1999 qualify. *
California Entertainment Firearms Permit only
Colorado None
Connecticut None
Delaware None *
District of Columbia None *
Florida None *
Georgia Georgia firearms licenses qualify.
Guam None *
Hawaii Permits to acquire and licenses to carry qualify.
Idaho Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Illinois None
Indiana None
Iowa Permits to acquire and permits to carry concealed weapons qualify.
Kansas Concealed handgun licenses issued on or after July 1, 2010 qualify as alternatives to the background check.
Kentucky Concealed Deadly Weapons License (CDW) and Judicial Special Status CDW issued on or after July 12, 2006 qualify.
Louisiana Concealed handgun permits issued on or after March 9, 2015 qualify.
Maine None *
Maryland None *
Massachusetts None *
Michigan Licenses to Purchase a Pistol (LTP) are the only permits that qualify as a NICS alternative.
Minnesota None
Mississippi License to carry concealed pistol or revolver issued to individuals under Miss. Stat. Ann. § 45-9-101 qualify. (NOTE: security guard permits issued under Miss. Stat. Ann. §97-37-7 do not qualify).
Missouri None *
Montana Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Nebraska Concealed handgun permit qualifies as an alternative. Handgun purchase certificates qualify.
Nevada Concealed carry permit issued on or after July 1, 2011, qualify.
New Hampshire None
New Jersey None
New Mexico None
New York None
North Carolina Permits to purchase a handgun and concealed handgun permits qualify.
North Dakota Concealed weapons permits issued on or after December 1, 1999 qualify. *
Northern Mariana Islands None
Ohio Concealed weapons permits issued on or after March 23, 2015, qualifies as an alternative to the background check requirements.
Oklahoma None *
Oregon None *
Pennsylvania None
Puerto Rico None
Rhode Island None
South Carolina Concealed weapons permits qualify.
South Dakota
Gold Card Concealed Pistol Permits and Enhanced Permits to Carry a Concealed Pistol issued on or after January 1, 2017.
Tennessee None
Texas Concealed weapons permits qualify.
U.S. Virgin Islands None
Utah Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Vermont None
Virginia None
Washington None
West Virginia Concealed handgun license issued on or after June 4, 2014 qualify.
Wisconsin None
Wyoming Concealed weapons permits qualify.
* While certain permits issued in these states prior to November 30, 1998 were “grandfathered” as Brady alternatives, none of these grandfathered permits would still be valid under State law as of November 30, 2003.

Last Reviewed March 3, 2020
For Colorado:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...ng-in-colorado-amid-coronavirus-pandemic
Posted By: z1r Re: #12,370 - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Hesp

Lol, I've been trying to buy a Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in .264 for a few days but they keep telling me the wait times are too long. Not too keen on being in a packed store to do teh paperwork anyway, so I am holding off. At least they set it aside for me.
Posted By: CRS Re: #12,370 - 03/27/20
I bought a Benelli M2 20 gauge last Thursday and I cleared Monday. 2.5 business days. This was in South Dakota. Been wanting to get my Gold card so I can forego all the BS. Was planning on this spring, but the pandemic probably has it all screwed up as I have not heard from the instructor yet.
Posted By: hanco Re: #12,370 - 03/27/20
Wow. Long wait. Lots of people buying!
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: #12,370 - 03/27/20
I wonder what percentage of these are new gun owners?

Maybe if enough new gun owners are getting on board, gun control is less likely to be palatable to our politicians.

Jerry
Posted By: z1r Re: #12,370 - 03/27/20
Most everyone I saw in the shop didn't look or act like current gun owners. A full 50% were women who I'd guess were buying their first.
Posted By: ringworm Re: #12,370 - 03/27/20
Just experienced a zero wait time transfer....Danny met me at I176 and 150 and we swapped money and ammo for a pistol.
Got back in our respective autos and went about our lives.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: #12,370 - 03/28/20
Massive amount of "first time" gun buyers minnysoda. Big shortage here of 9mm and 22 l.r.. This adds to the protection for the 2A in the future.
Posted By: shinbone Re: #12,370 - 03/28/20
This morning the LGS reported a 6 day wait. The que has decreased to 10,000, but the wait is longer.
Posted By: lastround Re: #12,370 - 08/17/20

In Kentucky, if you have a concealed carry permit, there is no background check. You pay your money and walk out with the gun. Makes having the permit worthwhile even if you don’t carry concealed.
Posted By: ingwe Re: #12,370 - 08/17/20
Shoulda just bought it over the internet...like the democrats say happens all the time...
Posted By: deltakid Re: #12,370 - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by lastround

In Kentucky, if you have a concealed carry permit, there is no background check. You pay your money and walk out with the gun. Makes having the permit worthwhile even if you don’t carry concealed.

Seattle made sure that this option was taken away from us when they passed I1639. I absolutely hate and despise Inslee and Ferguson. (our governor and attorney general)
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: #12,370 - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
My FFL got me done in about 45 minutes last night. He had no wait first thing yesterday morning.

Less than 15 minutes for me this morning, took longer for me to fill out the Fed form than to get the approval.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
It took about 10 minutes last week.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
Maybe a Colorado thing? I walked into my FFL transfer shop last week and walked out with the receiver they had for me in less than 15 minutes.

I always assumed since it was a Federal Firearms transfer all the states would have the same wait.
Posted By: Sheister Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
I had to wait 5 days a couple weeks ago for a rifle I bought... I always wonder why it is faster in some places than in others...
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
Biggest problem I've had is when you do the 4473 on the computer tablet. Seems like the BATF JERKS THEIR MEAT FOREVER. WHEN I go tp LGS and do one on paper it's 20 minutes max. MB
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
I have been getting delays on a bunch of NICS checks with some not clearing in 3 business days. I also read the checks this year just passed all of last year at about 13 million. Also, about 40% are first time buyers. That would be over 5 million citizens with clean records with a strong chance of voting against Ds.

H won the popular vote by a bit over 3 million votes, they say...
Posted By: JeffyD Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
Bought a flintlock last month. Yeah, a flintlock - here in NJ they're classified as a firearm. Six day wait for the NICS check.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Shoulda just bought it over the internet...like the democrats say happens all the time...

“We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book.”
–President Obama, remarks at memorial service in Dallas, July 12, 2016
Posted By: Hudge Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
I’ve bought a couple of AR15 lowers and 2 pistols the last 3 months. 10 minutes for most, one I had to wait on the gun counter guy to finish another sale to do my NICS check. Fifteen minutes later I was on my way home.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: #12,370 - 08/18/20
I had to wait 20 minutes last Saturday for 2 ar lowers, longest I have every waited was 35 minutes

Shot full auto with store owner to pass the time. Ak74 and a mp5. Love my class 3 dealer!!
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: #12,370 - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by Fotis

That doesn't work in this state.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: #12,370 - 08/19/20
I did an FFL to FFL transfer in a big box store for 33 guns a while back. Had to show my drivers' license, but otherwise it was pretty slick.
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: #12,370 - 08/22/20
I also assume the Colorado doesn't allow for the FFL to transfer after 3 business days if no response from NICS, correct? Federal Law allows for it.
Posted By: Daveh Re: #12,370 - 08/25/20
.[/quote]

Seattle made sure that this option was taken away from us when they passed I1639. I absolutely hate and despise Inslee and Ferguson. (our governor and attorney general)[/quote]

PLUS ONE!!!!
© 24hourcampfire