Home
Posted By: Jason280 Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/24/20
I was convinced a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 7x57 may be the perfect deer rifle, but now I am not so sure....

I picked this up a week or so ago, and added a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42 in Talley bases/rings. I have a few hundred Remington 140gr PSPCL bullets to load, but for right now I have a decent amount of bulk Prvi ammo to try in the rifle. Interested in seeing how recoil compares with this and the 7x57, but can't imagine there is much difference.

For those familiar with the Featherweights, what's the difference between the ones that are marked "Featherweight" on the side opposite of all the other writing (this is on the bolt/receiver side), versus the ones that have all the markings together?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/24/20
6.5 is pretty sweet...but its no 7x57.... grin
Posted By: drover Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/24/20
Jason280

I have a couple of wood stocked mod 70 Fetherweights and absolutely love them but I really like the synthetic stock on yours, I cannot recall ever seeing one with that pattern synthetic before. I would truly love to find one of those stocks for a short-action mod 70 Fwt.

drover
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/24/20
Great package Jason! 6.5 Swede is just a perfect all-arounder.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/24/20
What? No 6.5 CM? wink

Love the 6.5's and the 260 Rem, 6.5 x 55, and 6.5 Creedmore are within about 100 fps of each other according to my Nosler reloading manual so it's a wash, IMO. However, I've always thought the 7x57 was a small step above these due to heavier bullets being available when you need them....

Either way, probably hard to go wrong with any of them....

So, how does it shoot?

Bob
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/25/20
Haven't had a chance to shoot either yet, hope to later this week.
I like this sweed a whole lot better than your XTR. Nice rifle!
Posted By: GeoW Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/25/20
When you decide on the 7X57, just bring me the Swede on down to Savannah..

g
I can't imagine either cartridge ever being considered wrong. Nor a Mod. 70 Featherweight. Though I don't own one at the moment, it will always be one of my favorite rifles. Pre-war Mauser's, real Mannlicher/Schoenauer's and Model 70's, in no particular order.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/25/20
Nice! McMillan?
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/25/20
My rifle is Featherweight clone, on a Classic ( 1996) action, barreled in 6.5x 55 , by ER Shaw, 3-9 Leupold in Talley's.
It wears a Winchester synthetic stock that I bought here on the Fire.

My most favorite rifle!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/25/20
Very nice. That’s a sweetheart of a rifle.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/25/20
That really is a sharp looking stock. I did see an M70 with a synthetic stock of the same design at my LGS a few years ago, but it had a blind magazine.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Perfect rifle part 2.... - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by RevMike
Nice! McMillan?

I don't think so, but I haven't had the action out of the stock yet to check.
© 24hourcampfire