Home
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/27/20
Trying to remove the front sight on my 1989 FS Model 7. Got the one screw out but it won’t budge. Is there another screw under the sight itself?

Attached picture 3ED89220-E917-445D-9E0A-841868A7DDA6.jpeg
Attached picture 8ED8971D-F52A-4823-AD6D-5E89C6CCB210.jpeg
Posted By: rj308 Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/27/20
Yes. RJ
Originally Posted by rj308
Yes. RJ

Thanks! That sight wouldn’t budge even with heat. On to the next issue. LOL

Attached picture 8C798067-A314-4513-9026-6CBFB69CB71A.jpeg
Posted By: z1r Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/27/20
Ya should put the rear screw back in first!
Originally Posted by z1r
Ya should put the rear screw back in first!

You are right! Thing is I couldn’t even get it off in the vice beating it with a hammer. I hate these sights.
Drilled it out with the drill press then backed it out with an allen wrench. Now to get some filler screws.

Attached picture D034EDE7-AFF6-4608-8E7C-771C13E10C67.jpeg
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/28/20
Just out of curiosity, what was the reason to remove the sight?
Thanks,
Rex
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/28/20
Oops! You done pucked up😮
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Just out of curiosity, what was the reason to remove the sight?
Thanks,
Rex

No intention in using them and don’t like the look of them. Plus while walking thru the woods that front sight likes to snag on every low hanging limb I walk by.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Oops! You done pucked up😮

That was my thought after that joker popped off. LOL It all worked out in the end though.
I’ll put filler screws in the holes and have the barreled action cerakoted.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/28/20
Several years ago while on a back country hunt I slipped & fell on a frost covered Aspen log. The rear of the scope hit the log & bent the eye piece. My open sights saved my hunt & allowed me to take game & have a successful hunt. My advice , if you still can, replace the sights. They work when a scope fails.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/28/20
Yeah, I went from taking all my irons off 20 years ago...to putting them all back on!!!! But if you never hunt far from your truck it doesn't matter.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by Hesp
Several years ago while on a back country hunt I slipped & fell on a frost covered Aspen log. The rear of the scope hit the log & bent the eye piece. My open sights saved my hunt & allowed me to take game & have a successful hunt. My advice , if you still can, replace the sights. They work when a scope fails.

With my luck, a fall like that would cause me to lose my glasses, so irons wouldn't help! And irons can be pretty fragile themselves, especially the front if there's no hood.

Another option for backup, if you use Weaver bases or a rail is to carry a small red dot like a Fastfire. Pop off the scope, pop on the red dot, and off you go. I hunt close to home and not much more than a mile from my car, so I can do without backup.

For certain, if you want irons, better buy a rifle that has them already. I was looking at the price líst for smithing services the other day, and holes were $65 each.
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 04/01/20
Hang on to this sights in case you want them one day. If not, someone would be happy to buy a nice set I’m sure.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Trying to remove the front sight on my 1989 FS Model 7. Got the one screw out but it won’t budge. Is there another screw under the sight itself?

Is that FS as in Full Stock Custom Shop Rifle?
Originally Posted by d500lnn
Hang on to this sights in case you want them one day. If not, someone would be happy to buy a nice set I’m sure.

Front sight got bent due to me pounding on it. LOL
Originally Posted by SuperCub

No it’s not a custom shop gun. It has a (FS) Fiberglass Stock from McMillan.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Model 7 Front Sight Help - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by SuperCub

No it’s not a custom shop gun. It has a (FS) Fiberglass Stock from McMillan.

Lucky you ........ You would have heard me from Canada yelling about doing the bubba thing to a full stock Model Seven. smile
© 24hourcampfire