Home
Posted By: hanco Any 264 Win mag fans out there? - 04/17/20
I have a couple. I like them a lot. Mine are a pair of Early Sako’s. Anyone else have one ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I had one built on a pre64 win action with a 26 inch #3 brux 1-8 twist throated for 140 bergers, and a McMillan mcwoody. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet.
I have a couple one is a model 70 with a Boss and 6.5 X 20 leupold and the other is a ruger stainless with a boat paddle stock and a 4,5 X 14 leupold that is my go to deer rifle, 4831SC and 130 gr accubonds. both are great rifles.
I use IMR 4350 and 140 grain Ballistic tips in mine. I load 120 grain TTSX in Creedmoor and 6.5-06’s. I’m thinking about trying them in the 264’s.
My wife killed her first moose with a Pre-64 Win. Model 70 in .264 WM.....it’s “resting peacefully” in the safe downstairs! wink memtb
I've heard so much of the barrel burning bullsh~t, if a man just uses his head, its never going to be an issue, I'll go so far as to say, there are better choices for prairie dog rifles, but for just about everything else on the earth, they are my first choice !
I have had a model 700 classic since 1986. It’s the only rifled I have used for deer hunting since I acquired it. I’ve taken well over 150 deer with the rifle. I currently use the 130 grain Accubonds, but have used many other bullets without issue. 6.5mm deep penetration without excessive recoil. I love mine, it’s like an old, trusted friend.
Originally Posted by memtb
My wife killed her first moose with a Pre-64 Win. Model 70 in .264 WM.....it’s “resting peacefully” in the safe downstairs! wink memtb

You have a dead moose in the safe downstairs? eek
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by memtb

You have a dead moose in the safe downstairs? eek

Yes....a large cooler/safe! It’s where we keep the “hot” firearms and other items requiring “cooling”! grin memtb
Bought a model 70 264 WM many years ago. Well used and all factory. Shot out the throat and turned it into a 300 WM. I've killed a bunch of elk with it.

Miss the 264 WM, flat shooting SOB.
M70 Classic. 26” Krieger barrel. 125gr Partitions/IMR7828. Hammers deer!
Originally Posted by jimy
I've heard so much of the barrel burning bullsh~t, if a man just uses his head, its never going to be an issue, I'll go so far as to say, there are better choices for prairie dog rifles, but for just about everything else on the earth, they are my first choice !

I don't think it was all bulls**t but no one can be held responsible for how someone else mistreats their rifle. I too have a 700 Ltd Classic in 264 Win Mag. Shot some antelope and deer with it, no magic just hit them where they live and they die that simple, doesn't do anything better than my 270 Wins, 7mm Rem Mag or 270 Wthby Mag. I am going to be retired by this falls hunting season so I'll dig it out of the safe and work up some loads using some original 2 diameter WW power points and RP 2 diameter Corelokts in the 140 gr weight. I'll use some H570 and an old lot of IMR 7828 to search for accuracy and 3100 fps+. With no work schedule I'll hunt antelope as long as I want or it takes for the 264 Wn Mag "grail kill", you know where you run the magic bullet perfectly perpendicular to the antelopes nostrils apprx 1-2 " away and it's passing sucks all the air out of their lungs collapsing them for an instaneous no meat loss kill. Back in the 60's that's what the turds from the advertising dept. of WW maintained or was it packs a lot of muzzle blast and wallop.? But maybe I'm not up to that and will just have to dbl lung them like all the other times. MB
Did this myself! One shot, dead moose.
My first centerfire rifle, 1968, was a win 70 in 264. Still have it. It never would shoot the 120-140's. I worked up a load (also my first rifle to load for) using 4831 and 100 gr Sierra HP's. it would cloverleaf 3 short at 100 yards all the time. Never have checked twist on that rifle, but often wondered if it was a slower twist than standard. It won't keep 5 shots in a 5 gal bucket using 140 grain bullets. Used those 100's on everything from coyotes to elk and it worked. Wouldn't take for it. Probably has about 400 rounds down the tube and no problems yet.
Only ever seen 5 in the wild. Was a gunshow years ago.

5 Rugers - Boat paddle stocks and it had an Antelope engraved on the floor plates.
I have a Win 70 classic that I bought new in 1998. Used to shoot whitetails with 120 grain X bullets over IMR 7828. Haven't used it much in the last 10 yrs. I bought a Mcwoody for it. I'm about to load some nosler 140 gr accubonds with ramshot magnum. I have a Wy mule deer hunt scheduled this Oct and would like to use it.
By proxy...
My uncle had one years ago but lost it in a trailer fire. He loved that gun. Never close to being rich man, last year he shot a buck with an old double barrel 12 gauge. That was all that he had. I decided that he deserved better
Recently I was able to get hold of one in a Model 70 XTR. I added a new Leupold 3-9, scope covers and rings, two boxes of ammo, and a hard side plastic case. It gave me an excuse to drive 3 hours west to surprise him with it. He just turned 75 but I am hoping that he can take a deer or two with it this coming year.
I had to laugh though as later that day when he shot it for the first time he called me and commented that he had forgotten about the recoil. I guess that is where the "Magnum" part comes into play.

I hope to pick up a couple more boxes of Remington 140 grain ammo for him so that he can shoot it a lot over the summer. I didn't know what ammo to get for him and took a chance on Remington as I thought it easier to find, but he said that the Remington groups tightly at 100... and the bore sighting was impacting just an inch low.

Well worth the guns that I sold to get it....
You’re a good man.
I have a first-year production Browning Safari in .264 WM. It has the heavier 24" barrel (many had light 22" barrels, which doesn't make much sense). It's one of my favorite rifles. Shoots well. Looks good. Oozes cool.
1966 Sako Finnbear and a 1960 M70 in my safe. Love the caliber and love those rifles. Both are lasers.
I am a fan!

Winchester M70 Extreme Weather in .264WM

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
I own 4. All are dust collectors these days.
Not sure why, I just find that the 6.5x55 and 6.5-06 do everything I need them to do.
My dad has a pre 64 he bought new and used it for mule deer for years , got some nice deer with it. When my brother needed a rifle for mule deer he gave it to him. He is still using it. I was kinda bummed out my brother got that gun to use until dad gave me his pre 64 featherweight 270. Dad is 87 and still takes care of us when it comes to guns.
I have a 4 digit Sako in 264 that may or may not be factory.
Been used quite a bit, a lot of little marks in the stock.
Bought it cheap in the 90's, acquired brass, dies...
Never have even possessed a loaded round?

Been pondering getting it out, but there are so many others sitting
there ready to go, and the Sweede easily covers our deer hunting.

A very respected, and missed, hunting companion had an original
Stainless barreled M-700 bought new. He used it, and a German 300WBY
from Qubec to Idaho. Ground hogs to Moose.

140gr Hornady's were his choice, over IMR4831. And a lot of it, maybe too much. Getting ready for my first trip out West, Lee came up to check zero when he knew I was working loads for my 7mm mag.

Ask if I wanted to shoot his guns. I was 18 so, "Hell yeah"!

The 300 was first. My first go around with any 300 mag, I was intimidated.

Nice, not bad at all.

Then the 264.
That SOB punched the [bleep] out of me!
No idea why, but that damn thing was nasty!
Had an elder that hunted with a model 70 264 Magnum back in the 70’s. There was never a need for anything else.
Super pissed! Found out the gun shop that said they would set aside a Win Model 70 in 264 WM for me sold it out from under me. They were so busy selling ammo and cheap handguns to the sheeple at the covid out break that they didn't want to take my money at the time and assured me the would hold it for me until the hysteria died down. Come to find out, that wasn't the case. Kinda pissed about that but not much I can do.

I have a 264 WM build in the works but wanted a turn key rifle for the Fall hunt. Just took delivery of another 250 pieces of brass so I'd have 250 for each rifle and, well, I guess I have extra now.
I have a Pre-64 Model 70 Westerner in 264 that my Grandfather gave me. Quite a special gun!
I have two.

One is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 that I bought a few years back with 11 of the first box of shells shot through it. It had been a closet sitter for years in excellent condition with the original box. It still had an old Leupold scope on it that was so dated that the reticle moved in the sight picture when sighted in. It was centered slightly below center of the sight picture. It now has a much newer Leupold 4.5x14 scope in place.

The second is a New Haven Model 70 control round feed Classic rifle. I bought it new. it too has a Leupy 4.5x14 scope on board.

Both are excellent shooters with 140 grain bullets.
I've always liked the round, it just never seemed to be one I ended up with? I do know that IF I lived back in Texas, and hunted alot over Senderos, Beanfields, clear cuts, etc. I would own either (a) An older Browning Safari with that heavier, 24" barrel or (2) A Mod 70 Super Grade 26" barrel. I wouldn't have to pack the heavy thing but from the truck to the Blind. Yet they are heavy enough to shoot well from the Blind, plus, they are not in the weather so nice wood/blue. This is so the younger set can ooh and ahhh over 'The Old Man's" rifle, ha. Here in Utah, I'm tickled pink with my Kimber 84L 270. BUT, the 264WM is Jim Dandy and I "almost" sprang for a Montana SS synthetic a few years back. It would have been fine for here...but no dinero at the time, ha.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I have a 4 digit Sako in 264 that may or may not be factory.
Been used quite a bit, a lot of little marks in the stock.
Bought it cheap in the 90's, acquired brass, dies...
Never have even possessed a loaded round?

Been pondering getting it out, but there are so many others sitting
there ready to go, and the Sweede easily covers our deer hunting.

A very respected, and missed, hunting companion had an original
Stainless barreled M-700 bought new. He used it, and a German 300WBY
from Qubec to Idaho. Ground hogs to Moose.

140gr Hornady's were his choice, over IMR4831. And a lot of it, maybe too much. Getting ready for my first trip out West, Lee came up to check zero when he knew I was working loads for my 7mm mag.

Ask if I wanted to shoot his guns. I was 18 so, "Hell yeah"!

The 300 was first. My first go around with any 300 mag, I was intimidated.

Nice, not bad at all.

Then the 264.
That SOB punched the [bleep] out of me!
No idea why, but that damn thing was nasty!

The two Sako’s of mine are low serial numbers. One is 463 and the other is 2021. Both have 26” barrels
I’ve got a Classic in a Compact EDGE. I use the 140 Accubond at 3225 with Retumbo. Great shooting rifle.
Here's mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Does a pretty good job on Big Bulls smile

Have mine up for sale currently.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...4-winchester-magnum.cfm?gun_id=101394036

Shoots 140 Bergers as shown and 140 Accubonds well at 3200 FPS.

Like sakohunter mine is a safe queen, doesn't get out much.
I have Rem 700 BDL Deluxe with stainless barrel still in the box. Never shot. Dad bought it years ago did nothing with it.
Hanco, are your barrels stamped like any other Pre-Garcia?

Mine has a horsehead on top, at the receiver, and is 24"
My 338 is 26".
It's not stamped like any of my other Sako's.
It's been glass bedded, and used a lot. I didn't notice when I bought it.
The show was over, I was in a hurry, got a good deal....
Got home and noticed the issues.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
You’re a good man.

Sadly, in time it will return to me. I am not one to hang sentimental value on a gun, but this one is likely to be different.
I know I've got at least two - a M70 from circa '71, and a later NH M70 SG with absolutely gorgeous wood that's only had a couple rounds down the bore.. Might have another but I'd have to dig for it.. smile
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Originally Posted by Borchardt
You’re a good man.

Sadly, in time it will return to me. I am not one to hang sentimental value on a gun, but this one is likely to be different.

I will look when grandson goes home after lunch. I know they are marked Bofors on the barrels
Yep, all my other ones are.
I'm thinking I got some unknown replacement barrel to go with my
visible bedding job. Have had that thing for over 25 years. Never shot it!
Bought 250 once fired brass from CROD a bit ago. Dies, powder,
bullets, spare scope, mounts. I just need time, and a swift kick.

Actually, I'm afraid it is loser. Really don't want to know.

Then what?
I’ve got a four digit serial number 26” L61 264 win mag that shoots lights out.
I also have a Remington 700 Sendero in 264 Win Mag.
Love both of them. They have several kills each.
A friend has used one for years. He really likes it.
Originally Posted by RMerta
I’ve got a four digit serial number 26” L61 264 win mag that shoots lights out.
I also have a Remington 700 Sendero in 264 Win Mag.
Love both of them. They have several kills each.

They only made the early Sako’s with a 26” barrel for a short time before they went to a 24”. I don’t understand why.
Huge fan of mine, bought it here on the 'fire in fact. pre-64, stainless barrel with the iron coating. Have taken a few deer with it, both whitetail and mule.
Presently on the lookout for an x-bolt or EW in the same chambering. I generally shoot 130AB's over RL-33, but think that 7828 SSC is good also.
Built one out of a shot out 300 Win Mag Rem 700

28 inch stainless, fluted McGowen #6 contour which is about Sendero size. They had on their website for $95.00 unchambered.
1/8 twist.
Loading it with WC872 from GI Brass (close to H870) and 130 Accubonds at 3350.
6 Missouri whitetails with it from 40-350 yards and only one has taken a step.
Those 130 Accubond are just fantastic out of a 264 win mag on deer.
Just can't say enough about the 130AB performance on game. Really an amazing bullet, wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk either.
^^^Agree 100%
GI brass for a 264??

The powder came from a seller named GI Brass is how I read it.

WC872 from GI Brass
Originally Posted by TJAY

WC872 from GI Brass

Correct.

Military ball powder used to load 50 BMG and 30MM ammo.
8 lbs of it is $55.00
Thanks for the clarification I misread it...
Originally Posted by 2five7
Here's mine.

Does a pretty good job on Big Bulls smile

Fu**en hell! Thats an awesome bull and a great shot!
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Originally Posted by TJAY

WC872 from GI Brass

Correct.

Military ball powder used to load 50 BMG and 30MM ammo.
8 lbs of it is $55.00

Jeff Bartlett. Here's the link https://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Actually 20mm Vulcan pull down surplus powder.

869 is about the best powder for the 26 Nosler, IMO. BTW, not the only one with that opinion.

872 and 869 are identical in my loading experience. Same charge, same velocity, same bullets.

And, as noted, a lot cheaper.

You don't see data because, unlike a canister powder, supply is not certain. Get it while Jeff's got it to sell.

BTW, he's a good guy to talk to, knows his stuff.

DF
rgrx what load and bullet were you using to drop the big bull? I’m using Retumbo in both of my 264’s. I’m using old 140 grain Partitions in my Sako. 130 Accubond in the Sendero
Yeah. I'm a fan of all yalls 264 WinMags. Not sure I'd want to tote one around the mountains. But as a kid pouring over the Shooter's Bible, always thought it would be the ultimate rifle for shooting.
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Yeah. I'm a fan of all yalls 264 WinMags. Not sure I'd want to tote one around the mountains. But as a kid pouring over the Shooter's Bible, always thought it would be the ultimate rifle for shooting.

Do most of them weight 15 pounds? Mine weigh no more than a 30-06 or a 270 in like/comparable rifles.
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Do most of them weight 15 pounds? Mine weigh no more than a 30-06 or a 270 in like/comparable rifles.

I don't know. I was thinkin they need a 26" barrel, so 9-ish pounds maybe.
I’ll weigh my Sako tomorrow sometime and report back. It’s not heavy at all. The Sendero on the other hand is hefty.
Some report best performance with RL-33, 140's..

DF
Here is mine. 70 Classic with a McM EDGE

It shoots decent.

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com]

I use mine hunting whitetails from elevated shooting houses that are located in cultivated fields.
Some of these fields are a square mile in size.
It is heavy, weighs around 13.5 lbs with a 6-24x50 Sightron on it.
Most of the shooting houses are within 1/2 mile of where we enter properties.
Didn't build it to be a lightweight, needed something that was fast and flat.
A 264 beats a Creedmoor a little bit. I need to weigh my Sako’s. I never thought of them as heavy. I carried them all over west Texas where it was open enough to walk.
I’ve carried my Sako all over western Montana and Colorado and never noticed it heavy. In Indiana it’s nothing for stand hunting.
264 win mag, lilja barrel. Not quite 28inches, right at 9 pounds. Killed elk, deer and antelope with her. For several years was my only gun and did it all with her.

[Linked Image from i392.photobucket.com]

I’ve got a really nice Sako 264wm that was built by a great gunsmith - George Meyer who has since passed. George’s gunsmithing skills were world renowned in the bench shooting world. Will snap some photos tomorrow.
[quote=exbiologist]264 win mag, lilja barrel. Not quite 28inches, right at 9 pounds. Killed elk, deer and antelope with her. For several years was my only gun and did it all with her.

Curious how that almost 28" barrel handles.

Nice looking rifle. I like it.

What scope is that?

DF
Thanks. It actually handles better than you’d think and balance properly because I left the stock long. I think LOP IS 14.5”.
Scope is Nikon buck masters 4.5-14x40. I wanted a low mount 40mm with higher magnification that didn’t look all tactical. And was in my late 20s price range years ago.
I have a new in the box Browning Medallion.... I sold off a Ruger 77 All Weather Hawkeye in .264 WM to get the Browning.
Got a new old one to play with soon. Sako with a 27" barrel and a crappy stock that's fixin to go away.

Mine started out as an early stainless barreled BDL. Shoots great but I wish it had 2" more barrel.

Mine is in the works. McGowen 26.25" SS 8" twist barrel. Replacing the 21" pencil thin .308 Norma barrel on an FN action. It'll need a new stock but for now it'll do.

Originally Posted by hanco
I have a couple. I like them a lot. Mine are a pair of Early Sako’s. Anyone else have one ?

Yes, I had two pre-Garcia Finnbears, a 26” and 24”, I sold the 24”. I also have a model Classic model 70.
The 264 WM, 358 Win and 375 H&H are my favorite big game cartridges.
I have one, a win 70 extreme weather..i painted the stock od green but i have a mcmillan supergrade ordered anyway

Attached picture 2D0E1BE4-0CE5-4A3F-AB0F-D92A462668AD.jpeg
© 24hourcampfire