Home
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
I get the fascination with high BC heavy bullets for long range shooting. I get the attraction of smaller cartridges with less recoil. What I don’t get is when a guy uses a rifle for hunting, hunts an area where shots are under 500 yards and sometimes well under that, he feels the need to go to a smaller bore for less recoil and still wants high BC bullets. What is wrong with a .308 with a 130 or even 110 TTSX, or a 125 NBT or Accubond? The larger bore gets more velocity for the weight of the bullet, and thus should shoot flatter and hit harder inside 4-500 yards. Recoil is reduced, trajectory is flattened, and energy is increased.

So why sell a 308 to get a 243 or similar? Why not simply load lightweight bullets in the 308 and roll on? Asking this mostly out of simple curiosity after hearing guys at the LGS trading into smaller bore rifles to get higher BC and less recoil, here where a shot over 300 yards is a rarity. Is there.a good reason for this, or is it just loonyism?
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
You don’t have to “get it”
People do what they want
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
I am all for people getting what they want. Moreso than most. I am simply wondering if I am missing something about this. Because I don’t just assume I know and understand everything.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
Two words-- sectional density of longer smaller calibre for penetration while still getting relatively flat flight paths and reduced recoil. (Actually that was more than two words. wink )

Two more words --personal preference. smile
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
Is my 30-30 with 170's ok? Bein a lightweight model with a half mag and 18" barrel it do kick a bit more than a 243. It's a short range proposition. Nice little rifle for sneakin around in the woods with. And walkin up on a sounder in the tall cane grass can be fast action.

But I got a 243 too, for campin out on the edges. I don't hunt elk. Sometimes I do think about getting a more powerful rifle in case I can make it to New Mexico for free range aoudad. Although a good deal of folks around this site hunt whitetails and hogs with a 223 and 53 to 65 grain bullets.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
No idea, but then again I used a 9.3X62 for a dozen Whitetails in the Pine Ridge area of Nebraska. Shots were mostly under 50 yards. Seemed to work very well. A Norma 232 is not a high BC bullet.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
What I don’t get is bolt knobs as big as WWII hand grenades.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
Please dont ask me.to explain any logic I may employ in a gun prchase........I'd likely be mistaken for uncle joe.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Riddle me this... - 04/18/20
Two more words -- Any excuse!
Posted By: CRS Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
I don't get why you would care? grin
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
The larger bore gets more velocity for the weight of the bullet, and thus should shoot flatter and hit harder inside 4-500 yards.

They also slow down faster, and penetrate less. Anytime you're shooting similar bullet weights from different caliber rifles you always get better performance and penetration from the smaller caliber rifle. Assuming similar bullet construction.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Its all mental masturbation and the conjuring up rationale to buy a new/different rifle etc.
Posted By: ammoman16 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Two words-- sectional density of longer smaller calibre for penetration while still getting relatively flat flight paths and reduced recoil. (Actually that was more than two words. wink )

Two more words --personal preference. smile

My thoughts exactly. Extremely low SD bullets are a non starter for me for big game hunting.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
I get the fascination with high BC heavy bullets for long range shooting. I get the attraction of smaller cartridges with less recoil. What I don’t get is when a guy uses a rifle for hunting, hunts an area where shots are under 500 yards and sometimes well under that, he feels the need to go to a smaller bore for less recoil and still wants high BC bullets. What is wrong with a .308 with a 130 or even 110 TTSX, or a 125 NBT or Accubond? The larger bore gets more velocity for the weight of the bullet, and thus should shoot flatter and hit harder inside 4-500 yards. Recoil is reduced, trajectory is flattened, and energy is increased.

So why sell a 308 to get a 243 or similar? Why not simply load lightweight bullets in the 308 and roll on? Asking this mostly out of simple curiosity after hearing guys at the LGS trading into smaller bore rifles to get higher BC and less recoil, here where a shot over 300 yards is a rarity. Is there.a good reason for this, or is it just loonyism?
.......................Well you bring up some interesting points. However freedom of choice rules the day regardless of whether game is taken at 50 yards or at 500 yards.

You can go places in a Rolls Royce or in a tiny Smart (aka a STUPID) Car or with any vehicle in between at hundreds of different price points.

For the most part, there are no rules of "cartridge/caliber" thumb within the shooting/hunting world. But there should be common sense. With that stated, there is always a better cartridge/ bullet choice for any particular individual task other than what some may choose that balance performance along with recoil for the task at hand.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
for me it was combining a SS scope w/ an MQ reticle, a LRF and an accurate 308w rifle w/ ballistic program and a little instruction. Now I want a rifle w/ which I can see my hits through the scope. Who says you can't have it all? Can I kill a wolf at 600 yards w/ a 6 creed and a SS 3-9 HD. I may soon find out. What I do know for sure is that being able to dial range or see it in the scope has added a ton of fun to my shooting. But it will cause you to buy more steel. It does add spice to social distancing

mike r
Posted By: Calvin Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Lighter the recoil, the more you shoot. The more you shoot, the better you get.

Also, the wind can make for a rodeo on the mountain at 4-500 yards.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Let me clarify. This is occurring in southern MO. Low elevation, wooded hills and pastures. Shots over 300 yards are rare, 1-200 is most common, 500 is hard to find. Most of my deer have been killed at under 50 yards, many under half that. I use a 308 for the rare occasion I see a deer across a pasture. Farthest shot I have ever had presented here was at 400. The deer died right there. I do use a .223 for coyotes and other vermin. What I am talking about is guys hunting WT deer with small bore rifles and wanting high BC bullets, and trading 308’s and 270’s off at a loss to:do it.

Others hunt differently, and I understand people have their own reasons for choosing a rifle and cartridge. What I am trying to ask is if I am missing some factor in the decision to move to smaller caliber rifles with a stated desire to use high BC bullets in this environment. Seeing impacts in the scope has been mentioned, as well as sectional density. Both those make sense, although I feel the SD argument is somewhat moot when using monos like the TTSX.

To me, the attraction of high BC bullets is purely for long range use, target shooting and hunting past 400 yards or so. Out west and in the croplands, this makes sense if one plans to shoot that far. Where I am, it works fine, but the utility of it is not realized. I usually opt for a load that allows me to point and shoot to 300 and hold over to 400, and this covers every shot I can possibly see in my area. Wondering what I am missing, if anything. I am leaning toward the idea that it’s just guys wanting something different, but the frequency of it got me to wondering if there was something I had missed,
Posted By: postoak Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
It's a fad. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Posted By: jwall Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by postoak
It's a fad. Just keep doing what you're doing.

+ 2. I have followed this thread. What you are doing WORKS for you.

My fav, is... If it ain’t broke.......

You are correct about Hi BC. They aren’t needed in the scenario you describe where
you hunt.

For myself, 110 & 130 gr. 30 cal have a similar BC to saucers.

You aren’t missing anything except the “new thing”.

Jerry
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
Its all mental masturbation and the conjuring up rationale to buy a new/different rifle etc.

This ^^^......Some guys just got to have the latest greatest cartridge of the month, it really dont have to make much sense....I know as I have come up with some mighty flimsy excuses to buy a another new rifle but I have never used the BC excuse...Yet 😂.....Hb
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20

I enjoy the Fact,that you aren't "playing" Dumb. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Rather than extoll Retardation as a whole,simply pinpoint it and cite your "beloved" 308 Win load which "enthralls" you so. Rifle/scope/mount particulars are germane too,despite your inability to understand that as well. Hint.

If only to your chagrin,mechanical attributes copiously supplied by Facts and Physics,needn't your "blessing". Stupidity isn't a "fad",but rather a Plight and them differences are stark. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20

Yeah, people that just want to use heavy bullets, in the 308, are just plain loco:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I were going to just shoot heavy bullets, I'd buy a 243 and shoot 100gr partitions in it or buy a 30-06 and shoot 200gr partitions. Wait, maybe it's the people that shoot 308's that are just loco...
If only in fairness,projectile "weight" is moot. Hint. Congratulations?!?

To quantify same,SD is a factor shared by ALL projectiles,of a like weight and diameter and their designators are simply identical due that Dumbfhuqktitude. ZERO correlation is spent upon projectile integrity or it's aeroform. Hint.

My "problem" is,that I simply shoot it all and then some.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: Teal Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
A guy may hunt at 200 yards but who says all his shots are at 200 yards?

I don't understand this idea by some that you either shoot fur OR paper with a rifle. BOTH never seems to enter the mind.

I like shooting. Jan - Oct it may be variable and extended distances. Nov it's in the swamp for deer and then right back to distance.

Why buy, use, and practice for the short time and ignore the time that's most prevalent?
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Because you aren't "cool" unless you jump on the latest fad and proclaim it as the latest, greatest, best, coolest, bullet/cartridge/rifle combination to ever exist. I shot competitively at long range for years and have killed a pile of game. I thoroughly understand the ballistics, interior, exterior and terminal. But, "cool" and "new" don't impress me none.

I'm just north of you OGW and I don't see a lot of what you mention. but, it's here. Where I hunt 100 yards is a long shot. Kind of amusing to see a young fella all dressed up in his latest camo pattern clothes, face mask, Walker game ear, range finder, 10 X 50 bino's, toting a rifle with a 26 inch bull barrel, sporting a 12 X 36 X 50 scope, sitting in a tree house waiting to shoot a 90 lb. doe at 38 yards. Don't take that wrong, he's having fun and more power to him. What's amusing is that he thinks he needs all that.
Posted By: CRS Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker
for me it was combining a SS scope w/ an MQ reticle, a LRF and an accurate 308w rifle w/ ballistic program and a little instruction. Now I want a rifle w/ which I can see my hits through the scope. Who says you can't have it all? Can I kill a wolf at 600 yards w/ a 6 creed and a SS 3-9 HD. I may soon find out. What I do know for sure is that being able to dial range or see it in the scope has added a ton of fun to my shooting. But it will cause you to buy more steel. It does add spice to social distancing

mike r

This makes the the most sense sense to me as far as shooting goes. Being able to spot your shot is a nice, especially when shooting alone.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
I've hunted elk with a .44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk revolver, a Browning B92 carbine, Marlin in .30-30, .375 .Winchester and .45-70. Effective range increased in that order. I've also used a .257 Roberts, which increased effective range even further.

While short range weapons were fine in the woods, they are far less useful where shot opportunities could be out to as far as I'd be willing to shoot under perfect conditions (600 yards, the limit of my regular practice). For those shots I prefer 7mm RM, .30-06, .300WM or 338WM. They work at close range, too.

I've spent a lot of time in southwest Missouri (Stockton and Springfield area). Lots of places where long shots would be rare but lots of others where they could be common. Kind of depends on whose land you would be hunting and time of year (leaves on the trees or no). Here in Colorado and when we hunt Wyoming for antelope we need to plan for opportunities where you find them, short or long. For me that means planning for the long shot and hoping for a short one.

Nothing wrong with a small caliber with fast high S.D., high B.C. bullets for hunting Missouri. I was shooting my .243 at 600 yards yesterday with 95g SST bullets. They work fine on antelope and, although I would probably switch to a 95g Barnes LRX for whitetail. That would cover anything from 0-500 yards, even for a record Missouri whitetail.

Nothing wrong with a .308/120g TTSX - that's is what Daughter #1 used for elk until she got a .270. In terms of retained velocity and energy, the .308/130 TTSX will do at 600 what the .243/95g LRX will do at 500. The .270 with a 150g ABLR stretches that out to 800-1000 yards depending on whether you look at velocity or energy.

No wrong answers, just personal preference.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Two more words--- Herd Mentality
Four more words FOMO---Fear of Missing Out
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Two more words--- Herd Mentality
Four more words FOMO---Fear of Missing Out

^^^^ This ^^^^^
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20

There is not a good explanation other than it’s something “new”. The same reason some folks cheat on their spouses when they have someone at home that fulfills every need, want and desire. It’s new. Nothing wrong with the old 308,30-06 270 or 280. In a strong bolt they just get better with new powders and bullets. I like some of the new cartridges and appreciate the designs and the thought behind them. It makes sense. But, keep in mind that it takes thousands of years for animals to evolve and show any appreciable evolutionary changes. I have yet to see any game animal grow a Kevlar vest and make themselves bullet proof.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
I see those guys with magnum rifles and huge scopes. I grin about it as I kill schitt with a 125gr bullet @ 2,500fps and a 1-4x scope. Sometimes the deer are so close I have to wait for them to move off before I shoot them. smile
My closest kill was at 8 feet. That was a freak, because they usually don't face away from me when they are that close. Some of these deer I could kill with a high-BC ball peen hammer.
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by teal
A guy may hunt at 200 yards but who says all his shots are at 200 yards?

I don't understand this idea by some that you either shoot fur OR paper with a rifle. BOTH never seems to enter the mind.

I like shooting. Jan - Oct it may be variable and extended distances. Nov it's in the swamp for deer and then right back to distance.

Why buy, use, and practice for the short time and ignore the time that's most prevalent?

And this is mostly why I got a 243.

Although the Swede kicks a little more, and rifles are far less available, a 6BR or 6.5x55 may make more sense for a reloader wanting to hammer long range steel a lot in the off-season, since they both tend to have really long barrel life....and maybe a little less bark.

But the popular old 243 is just so much more convenient. And plenty capable of stretching target range far past most folks hunting ranges. All without it feeling like work for extended sessions. And still a capable hunting rifle within it's power range.
Barrel life is relatively short. But still several years for myself, and a lifetime for others.

A 308 shooting long, heavy, wind resistant bullets just isn't as much fun to sit behind for 20 or 30 or 40 rounds in a day.
BC is a simplist numerical designator,that melts Whining Clueless Snowflakes,with reckless abandon. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy the fact,that CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards,so eagerly cling to their fhuqking STUPIDITY. I've shot or got every chambering thus far cited and a fhuqk of a lot that have yet to be...they ain't all "equal". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I prefer the 6BR to the 243,mainly because I've multiples of each. No thang to stretch a Baby BR to 1K+++ or whack Beasties with same,while the 243's set on the sidelines. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Was rolling a slow twist rate all day yesterday,if only to cheer up Window Licking Stupid Fhuqks. Hint. Laughing!

Pard was schlepping my 1-7.7" Bart 224 Speedmire with 90gr Beer Cans at 3150fps and their .585 BC,if only to cover all bases. Google as you MUST. Hint. Laughing!

Was timing a tide change this morning and gotta go catch more fish,so you gals be SURE to talk out your asses even more. Hint.

Bless your hearts,for doing the best you can,with what incredibly fhuqking little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................
Who is that lunatic? Can't spell, can't punctuate, cannot put together a coherent sentence or say something, anything, without resorting to made up profanity and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
Originally Posted by Big Stick
BC is a simplist numerical designator,that melts Whining Clueless Snowflakes,with reckless abandon. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy the fact,that CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards,so eagerly cling to their fhuqking STUPIDITY. I've shot or got every chambering thus far cited and a fhuqk of a lot that have yet to be...they ain't all "equal". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I prefer the 6BR to the 243,mainly because I've multiples of each. No thang to stretch a Baby BR to 1K+++ or whack Beasties with same,while the 243's set on the sidelines. Hint.

Was rolling a slow twist rate all day yesterday,if only to cheer up Window Licking Stupid Fhuqks. Hint. Laughing!

Pard was schlepping my 1-7.7" Bart 224 Speedmire with 90gr Beer Cans at 3150fps and their .585 BC,if only to cover all bases. Google as you MUST. Hint. Laughing!

Was timing a tide change this morning and gotta go catch more fish,so you gals be SURE to talk out your asses even more. Hint.

Bless your hearts,for doing the best you can,with what incredibly fhuqking little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Hint... Your a doushebag...Congratulations! LAUGHING...
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Who is that lunatic? Can't spell, can't punctuate, cannot put together a coherent sentence or say something, anything, without resorting to made up profanity and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Apparently he can't hunt either. He seems to need a 1K+++ yard rifle in that heavy Alaskan brush. Coastal southern AK sure isn't hunting antelope on the staked plains.

I guess he smells too bad to get within 600 yards of a stinky, carcass rolling bear.
notsosharp,

DO cite any/all words I've used,that are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to follow and I'll dumb things down especially for your Retardation...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Sweetie,your STUPIDITY ain't my fhuqking fault,but you Melting Snowflakes certainly do have VERY Tender Feelers. Mebbe extoll your very WELL founded Insecurities even further and add a few more words to your Vagina Monologue and the "Adventures" of your couchbound kchunt. Mainly because it will be funnier than fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!

Yet another slow morning. I'm thinkin' I'm hip on lazy twist rates and dismal BC's,especially when riding a GFI Kenai. Google all,as you MUST. Hint.

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

JHIZZ,

Didn't mean to horn you up,you Do Nothing Kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that you are hell bent upon obliviuously quantifying,that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!....................

Trybone,

Pardon my simply shooting it all,as you set on the sidelines and plagiarize...you MAGNIFICENTLY Whining Clueless Kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

GREAT time to expound on how besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that also just "happen" to be a Thieving Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint. LAUGHING!

Here's to the uprorious HILARITY,of how very WELL founded your countless Insecurities are too...you "lucky" kchunt. Perhaps mebbe trying removing your kchunt from the couch and "shooting" something other than your mouth and Imagination. Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying and Whining,as that is The Do Nothing Kchunt Trifecta!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Cheer up ladies,I've only (1) rifle to throw together today,as you "hard chargers" set on the bleachers and rattle your Pom-Pom's. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It might could be a 1-14" Swift,but prolly ain't. Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon in advance,the 147's,Alpha brass and all the other constants,you "lucky" kchunts "get" to read about. Google it all,as you MUST. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your hearts for doing your best,with what INCREDIBLY little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Looks likes sticks took the bait..LAUGHING... WINNING go out and gets some air prolly to late for you... Go tuck you pants inside your shirt wilst you scan google for more fake pics to post on here... WINNING!
JHIZZ,

It'll only come as a "surprise" to someone as fhuqking STUPID as you,that your Retardation isn't "bait",it's a Plight and the differences are stark...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now in the interest of being "fair",I "only" shoot .224" centerfires in 7,7.5,7.7,8,9,10,12 and 14" RPM...unless you count the one-off 1-16" parallel fluted 22-250AI. Your call. Hint. LAUGHING!

Google as you MUST,because you are doing "GREAT!". Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart for trying,you poor poor(literally) Clueless Fhuqk.

Hint.

Good grief, not only is it a lunatic, it's a foul mouthed imbecile.

They prolly just keep him around on here to keep everyone tuned up FHUQK!
Posted By: ofelas Re: Riddle me this... - 04/19/20
I'm not seeing what most see.

What I see is a very smart helpful feller who speaks between the lines + makes total sense, and doesn't tolerate BS or spoon feeding.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, I've only got 80 odd posts in the past 10 years, this whole internet billy-badass-erry escapes me, and I don't have an app to make me feel better about interacting with others who have different approaches.

Perhaps I just need to stock up on the carrots & see better.

Originally Posted by ofelas

What I see is a very smart helpful feller who speaks between the lines + makes total sense, and doesn't tolerate BS or spoon feeding.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, I've only got 80 odd posts in the past 10 years, this whole internet billy-badass-erry escapes me, and I don't have an app to make me feel better about interacting with others who have different approaches.

Oh yeah... He's prolly highly respected on here.
notsosharp,

You Squat To Pee Salad Eating Bitches,are a "rugged" lot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise" that Vernacular and Nomenclature,took a back seat to your Surging Estrogen Levels and Imitation(s). Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for sharing your Hurt Feelers Report.

Hint.

JHIZZ,

Knock 'er out of The Park and put all in perspective,by citing what you "do" for a "living"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

You Brokedick Whining Snowflakes are a HOOT! Hint. Laughing!

In fairness,don't feel jaded in being uncomfortable in your skinb,because NOBODY else would be either,so your Insecurities ARE founded. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart,for trying soooooooooo hard.

Hint.

I'm not getting your last sentence.

"Prolly" = "probably" ?

If so, was that heartfelt or sarcastic?

Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Oh yeah... He's prolly highly respected on here.
Hey Fug Stick! I'd be embarrassed by that idiotic AR setup if I were you. It is proof you don't shoot ARs worth a damn. And probably not anything else either.

BTW, where are all the awards you've won in shooting competitions? After all, you're so rich and skilled, (LOL!) it ought to be easy for you to clean up all us "dumb fhuqs". laugh LOL!
notsosharp,

You Squat To Pee Salad Eating Bitches,are a "rugged" lot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise" that Vernacular and Nomenclature,took a back seat to your Surging Estrogen Levels and Imitation(s). Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for sharing your Hurt Feelers Report.

Hint.

JHIZZ,

Knock 'er out of The Park and put all in perspective,by citing what you "do" for a "living"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

You Brokedick Whining Snowflakes are a HOOT! Hint. Laughing!

In fairness,don't feel jaded in being uncomfortable in your skinb,because NOBODY else would be either,so your Insecurities ARE founded. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart,for trying soooooooooo hard.

Hint.

little schtick could use some new material. Prolly has the turrets along with other numerous types of mental defects...But I got's to hand it to the boy he does have a gift. I would like to know how on earth he knew my nick name? I doubt he has any front teeth though... WINNING!
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Hey Fug Stick! I'd be embarrassed by that idiotic AR setup if I were you. It is proof you don't shoot ARs worth a damn. And probably not anything else either.

BTW, where are all the awards you've won in shooting competitions? After all, you're so rich and skilled, (LOL!) it ought to be easy for you to clean up all us "dumb fhuqs". laugh LOL!

I agree...That is one sorry azz looking AR little schtick found at her local pawn shop along with the rest of his stuff. I reckon that's what she spent her stimulus check on. Hint. Congratulations...
Perhaps I've missed something, but that is just downright crass, especially from a fellow yote nailer.

Considering I've seen "BigStick" post experience based stuff, albeit abrasively; while y'all detractors only have personal attacks without fact based rebuttals.

This forum used to be a wealth of knowledge a decade back.

I agree...That is one sorry azz looking AR little schtick found at her local pawn shop along with the rest of his stuff. I reckon that's what she spent her stimulus check on. Hint. Congratulations...

Only individual I've ever seen on any forum, anywhere who could be committed to a monkey house and lower the collective IQ.
Perhaps I've missed something, but that is just downright crass, especially from a fellow yote nailer.

Considering I've seen "BigStick" post experience based stuff, albeit abrasively; while y'all detractors only have personal attacks without fact based rebuttals.

This forum used to be a wealth of knowledge a decade back.

Experience based on what?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Trybone,

Pardon my having more AR's,than you do IQ Points...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How come all of the good pictures in "your" album,were taken by me? Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying and Whining,as that is The Do Nothing Kchunt Trifecta!

Hint.

JHIZZ,

Like YOU could "afford" an AR?!? Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes are a hoot! Hint.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

notsosharp,

You be SURE to tell yourself,the things you MOST need to hear...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Pavement Pounding Lollipops are a HOOT! Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart,for melting.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Trybone,

Pardon my having more AR's,than you do IQ Points...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How come all of the good pictures in "your" album,were taken by me? Hint. LAUGHING!

Hint.

JHIZZ,

Like YOU could "afford" an AR?!? Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes are a hoot! Hint.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

notsosharp,

You be SURE to tell yourself,the things you MOST need to hear...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Pavement Pounding Lollipops are a HOOT! Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart,for melting.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

AR's ain't really my thing prick but I owns six soul sister.. I'm thinking twiggy here as lost her mind after being let go from her gig at McDonald's. Done feeding this trophy troll...WINNING!
JHIZZ,

It's your Lie,simply tell it as you MUST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bess your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
JHIZZ,

You almost went outside,once. ALMOST. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The schitty pictures are fhuqking HILARIOUS,you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................
Posted By: geedubya Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Can't help but remember a time a while back that I had a pretty good pig come out just about dark thirty.

It had rained like hades a couple days before and it was very muddy.

Anywho, I decided to perforate this hoglet (as I almost always do). He was standing just at the edge of the mud.

Don't know if you've heard of the 50/50/90 rule. It goes like this.

If there is a 50/50 chance of something happening, 90% of the time the outcome will not be the one desired.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Don't know if it was the impact of the bullet or just this critters dying urge to cause me grief, but sure enough, this sucker flopped over into the mud, DRT, once again confirming the 50/50/90 rule.

He was just far enough in the puddle, and with all the mud on his legs combined with his weight that there was no way I could fish him out without consequences.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

I've typically found that the old bromide about wrestling with a pig.........

Hint!

ya!

GWB

Posted By: 44mc Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
grizz the short twig sis is on the rag this week .he is just having his brake down
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Originally Posted by ingwe

Pretty much it.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
It’s just wanting the latest thing that come out is what it boils down to for 95% of the folks buying them.

I love the new gun fads. Makes buying all the tried and true rifles that much cheaper.
Originally Posted by 44mc
grizz the short twig sis is on the rag this week .he is just having his brake down

I reckon so. Prolly didn't get his stimulus check. Freaking babbling buffoon. Gots to be the worst troll in the history of this or any other forum.
Cheer up,I've got a part time job and my monthly paychecks are only 5 digits. Hoping the Superposed arrives today,but Mail is spotty. The 130 Beer Cans are shooting nicely and I'm feeling like I've a few casts left in me. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Do Nothing Droolers are a fhuqking hoot! Hint.

Facts & Physics ain't "fads". Hint.

Bless your hearts,for doing your best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: Teal Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Not for nothing - never understood bragging on having a Gucci AR.

They're literally tinker-toys that shoot.
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20

Yahtzee!

I've a number of rifles but will zero my Kimber MT .308 today with Federal # V308VM110; a Hornady 110 grain V-Max at a purported 3,300 fps. It's got a Aimpoint Comp M2 on top. Ima zero it at 50 yards and should effectively zap any critter that's looks bigger than the 2MOA dot inside 250 yards.

We got armadillos here now, so hoping to mist a few soon. I believe that load might bisect a younger coyote at woods ranges.

I got a 40 acre wooded place and most shots are less than 50 yards, but have several neighbors who have big fields that have coyote traipsing at times, and hang out in my creek bottom.

P.S. Stick, if I'm not on foot, I'll have my .260 CTR w an MQ Farker on top in truck or on ATV in case real precision needed.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20

welcome to Alaska Trailer Park meth head jibberish....

it aint' easy being Schtick...

as for the spelling, cut Stumpy some slack... he's usually so drunk, its his Lab typing this for him via dictation...
besides the dog spells a lot better than Stumpy does...and types better also...

plus the Lab is smarter than Schtick... and that is before him abusing Alcohol and Meth...

and you'd be bitchy if your sex life was Rosie Palm and her 10 sisters, all lubricated with Remington Gun Slick...

yeah, it ain't easy being Schtick.....
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984

Yahtzee!

I've a number of rifles but will zero my Kimber MT .308 today with Federal # V308VM110; a Hornady 110 grain V-Max at a purported 3,300 fps. It's got a Aimpoint Comp M2 on top. Ima zero it at 50 yards and should effectively zap any critter that's looks bigger than the 2MOA dot inside 250 yards.

We got armadillos here now, so hoping to mist a few soon. I believe that load might bisect a younger coyote at woods ranges.

I got a 40 acre wooded place and most shots are less than 50 yards, but have several neighbors who have big fields that have coyote traipsing at times, and hang out in my creek bottom.

P.S. Stick, if I'm not on foot, I'll have my .260 CTR w an MQ Farker on top in truck or on ATV in case real precision needed.

I love watching armadillos pieces fly. Enjoy!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Apparently, you haven't been paying attention.
What experience exactly does Fug Stick have other than shooting boulders and a few animals?

On the other hand, if you knew anything about some of the other posters on here, you'd know that you were reading material written by local, state and national record holders, match winners, President's 100, Distinguished Rifle and Pistol shooters, state champions and even some national champions.

So again, what exactly does Fug Stick bring to the table other than condescension and outright insults? The guy can't even figure out how to set up a scope on an AR.
Cheer up,I've got a part time job and my monthly paychecks are only 5 digits.
If you weren't lying, you'd have been out there winning matches.

Fact is, you are trailer trash washed up on a rock in the Gulf of AK.
teal,

I've a "few"AR's and upon both platforms. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I shoot more 260AI,than I do SALAMI. Hint.

Weren't my intent to horn Shefire up,but her fascinations with Male Anatomy never wane...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Laughing!

Poor poor(literally) Trybone and her haste to steal pics. I've barely made 60K this year. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
60K YTD?

F u c k!

And you were trying to tell everyone here you were roll'n in the big bucks.
PLEASE don't "tease" me about my part-time job,nor correlate how it upsets you so. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

At least you "get"to "read" about it,you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.........................
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
$60K - LOL! Trailer trash, washed up on a rock.
teal,

Weren't my intent to horn Shefire up,but her fascinations with Male Anatomy never wane...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Laughing!

Poor poor(literally) Trybone and her haste to steal pics. I've barely made 60K this year. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

60 K? Nothing wrong with that just that she seems to think that makes her overly wealthy... This chick is really pitiful. Almost feels sorry for her except she's a trophy troll. Sad, Hint, Congrats and Sayounara prick...
And you know the little mutt was lying about the $60K. Probably cut that BS buy 50% and it might be close.
Posted By: Teal Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
teal,

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

60 K? Nothing wrong with that just that she seems to think that makes her overly wealthy... This chick is really pitiful. Almost feels sorry for her except she's a trophy troll. Sad, Hint, Congrats and Sayounara prick...

That's 60k so far this year, 4 months. Consider he also works a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off schedule which means 60k in 2 months of actual work and no state income taxes. The slope pays well.

Not sticking up for him - can do that himself but so many slag and say "he doesn't tell anyone good information" - you have to read all of it and understand before firing off a response.

My point about the AR was mostly some dog others because they don't have a Gucci AR - dude, a 9 year old with dad's CC and 45 mins of youtube can twist one up. Lack of brand name on the side isn't an indicator of value.
Posted By: ofelas Re: Riddle me this... - 04/20/20
Oof. I'm more of an overseas shooter than a domestic hunter.

I fill the upright freezer a couple times a year & that's pretty much it, aside from dozens of social distanced trotting 'yotes every year.

I did reach out to a few folks on here almost a decade back for some hunting advice, and I can say that Big Stick was one of the 3 that PM'd back.

With super friendly, bang on advice.

He is good to go in my book, I have no motives to take one side or another, let alone in an anonymous forum.

I don't have any other answers for y'all.

Hope that's decent enough, don't be picking on me unless we meet in person.

Fair enough?
Understand, but you can get better information, elsewhere, without putting up with it's idiotic babble.
Originally Posted by teal
teal,

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

That's 60k so far this year, 4 months. Consider he also works a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off schedule which means 60k in 2 months of actual work and no state income taxes. The slope pays well.

Not sticking up for him - can do that himself but so many slag and say "he doesn't tell anyone good information" - you have to read all of it and understand before firing off a response.

My point about the AR was mostly some dog others because they don't have a Gucci AR - dude, a 9 year old with dad's CC and 45 mins of youtube can twist one up. Lack of brand name on the side isn't an indicator of value.

Whatever... She's still a prick... Fair enough...
Fug Stick has probably circled the toilet with the rest of the oil bus these last 3 months.

He's a lying sack of schitt. It's not even his "advice" or his lies that annoy me.
He's a fugging prick to people and I'm not putting up with it. We've discussed this before, he knows how to act to keep me from busting his chops, but he won't be nice to people. F@ck him! It's troll season, baby!
I don't spend enough time on online forums perhaps, given my 90 odd posts in 10 years; but there was absolutely zero idiotic babble in the PMs he replied to me on.

Who would i have gotten better information from, considering the non replies to my simple/humble PMs?

Or perhaps I'm just not worthy enough to be replied to by the gurus?

Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Understand, but you can get better information, elsewhere, without putting up with it's idiotic babble.

Fug Stick has probably circled the toilet with the rest of the oil bus these last 3 months.

He's a lying sack of schitt. It's not even his "advice" or his lies that annoy me.
He's a fugging prick to people and I'm not putting up with it. We've discussed this before, he knows how to act to keep me from busting his chops, but he won't be nice to people. F@ck him! It's troll season, baby!

I second...
Anybody know what the little mutt does. If it's up on the Slope, the answer is as of today, nothing.
I don't spend enough time on online forums perhaps, given my 90 odd posts in 10 years; but there was absolutely zero idiotic babble in the PMs he replied to me on.

Who would i have gotten better information from, considering the non replies to my simple/humble PMs?

The first line of your response is your answer.
Rem6mm - I'm not getting you bud...i don't get the response & answer bit.
Rem6mm - I'm not getting you bud...i don't get the response & answer bit.
Rem is saying the exact same thing I told you in my first response - that you haven't been paying attention or aren't on here much.

We'll let you slide this time! smile
I'm not trying to be an ass here, it's just that I have found all the same information on the internet that I need regarding reloading, gun work etc, without having to have decipher stinky's caustic verbiage.

Years ago, he was able to communicate with some degree, but that has given away to his constant attacks on everybody. It's just not funny when someone is asking a legit question about a load or scope setting and then he comes into the middle with his haranguing insults.

Hope I cleared myself up here
Understood about my lack of posts/non participation.

Thanks for letting me slide.
You're good!
60K YTD?

F u c k!

Well Bill, that would mean Stumpy is a millionaire...

but then again, that would assume, he isn't ingesting most of it in booze and meth... like many in AK do...

and then he spends money on tons of crap, yet doesn't take care of it... so its essentially worthless in short order..

He's originally from Coos Bay Oregon, as a kid.. but had to leave the lower 48 and Oregon, due to some legal 'trouble'...
again, like is awfully common up in AK...

even if Stumpy has lots of money, you know he isn't blowing much of it on soap or any other hygienic needs..
but I guess when you have a head like a bowling ball with a FuManChu on it.. in a place where the women are few...
guess you don't need to concentrate on hygiene and soap...

but "all of his stuff", comes in handy impressing every other lonely guy like him, come time for the Friday Night Craig AK circle
jerk.....

it ain't easy acting like your 10 feet tall and bullet proof, when you're really only 5 ft 3 and have a body like the Pillsbury Doe Boy..
John,

Good to hear from you.

What doesn't say is what his net is at the end of the year.
But then, the only net he knows is the one he uses trying to get a date at the Craig free food store.
Originally Posted by Seafire
60K YTD?

F u c k!

Well Bill, that would mean Stumpy is a millionaire...

but then again, that would assume, he isn't ingesting most of it in booze and meth... like many in AK do...

and then he spends money on tons of crap, yet doesn't take care of it... so its essentially worthless in short order..

He's originally from Coos Bay Oregon, as a kid.. but had to leave the lower 48 and Oregon, due to some legal 'trouble'...
again, like is awfully common up in AK...

even if Stumpy has lots of money, you know he isn't blowing much of it on soap or any other hygienic needs..
but I guess when you have a head like a bowling ball with a FuManChu on it.. in a place where the women are few...
guess you don't need to concentrate on hygiene and soap...

but "all of his stuff", comes in handy impressing every other lonely guy like him, come time for the Friday Night Craig AK circle
jerk.....

it ain't easy acting like your 10 feet tall and bullet proof, when you're really only 5 ft 3 and have a body like the Pillsbury Doe Boy..

Dayum! grin
I hope so, Rem6.

I have no intention of winding anyone's crank.

But I'm still curious to know who these unknown hunting advice gurus are, that don't deem fit to reply to lesser mortals such as I.

Mind you, I'm not interested in "accuracy advice" or "scope/rifle" combos from these fair weather fellers, I've had all that nonsense sorted satisfactorily for a couple decades in real life.

Was just curious about a couple different different projectiles way back then for various critters, like I mentioned a couple posts above.

Big Stick & Jordan Smith were quick to help me out back then. Can't recall anyone else stooping below their pay grade to help me out.

You're good!
Notice that you never see pics of Fug Stik's "abode" or wherever he stores all those 100s or 1,000s of guns.
I think he has some pretty severe hoarding issues too.

Ofelas, you keep coming back to only 2 people IMing you. I don't know what or when you asked, but perhaps your expectations are a little inflated. Maybe you asked at a bad time and your post got pushed off the first page quickly, maybe it was an arcane question. Maybe the answer was so obvious no one except a drunk, lonely troll and Jordan thought it worth answering. Could be a million reasons, but that doesn't give Fug Stik a right to be an [bleep] the rest of the time. No, f@ck him!
Big O,

On the fire, you can't take ANYTHING personal or this crowd will run you down like a dog.

I have found that if you post the same question on Google, you will get a lot more answers and no BS. Here, you just have to hand it back the same way you get it.

Don't worry, like I said, you're good.

W. Bill
Big O,

On the fire, you can't take ANYTHING personal or this crowd will run you down like a dog.

I have found that if you post the same question on Google, you will get a lot more answers and no BS. Here, you just have to hand it back the same way you get it.

Don't worry, like I said, you're good.

W. Bill

off Topic question Bill... is Two Dot Montana, named after the two brain cells Stumpy has still working?

ya gotta give him credit tho....he accomplishes more with those two brain cells than most other idiots at the Nut House would..
if we still had nuts houses...still doesn't take away the fact that Hutch is still smarter, spells better, has command of the English language better, and even if he has two paws instead of 10 fingers, he types better than Stumpy does..

on a side note... remember Blazing Saddles and the character Gabby Johnson, with the excellent western frontier Jibberish?
That was Schtick's Dad....taught him everything he knew... and some of it was reported to actually be legal....

I've heard Linda Hunt was his mom.. or his mom's sister.. something like that...

and did ya know One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest took place in Oregon? it was about his Uncle. Randal P. McMurphy
(not his real name for copyright reasons).. but after the Lobotomy, he also taught Stumpy every thing he knew..

Stumpy comes from a distinguished pedigree.....

Hutch also translates most of Stumpy's dictation for his posts....

what Hutch hears is usually...

BlahblahblahBlahBlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah burp... BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah burp... fart.. BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah burp... Gotta take a piss...BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah gotta take a schitt now... Burp... fart..BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah no correct that.. fart... BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah BlahblahblahBlah ...etc etc etc..

Stumpy has the smartest Labrador Retriever in Alaska...even usually opens his own dog food cans...
one for him.. four for Stumpy.. microwave some on a bun and call it a hamburger..

Hutch gets to sleep on the bed tho... Stumpy.. he sleeps where ever he passes out at...usually in the The floor, the outhouse, where ever... but for some reason, never in the shower or in the bath tub......yeah Hutch is a smart dog...
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Riddle me this... - 04/21/20
John,

What makes you think he has TWO cells?
Posted By: 14Homer Re: Riddle me this... - 04/21/20
Stick, what did you get with your PFD this year? Rifle, pistol, etc.?
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Riddle me this... - 04/21/20
Seems likes she's MIA... Normally she's right back with more blah...blah... and blah.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Riddle me this... - 04/21/20
John,

What makes you think he has TWO cells?

Cause if he had one, medical training from the Medical Corps in the Army would tell me, he'd just sit around all day and
drool all over himself as he starred out into space...he only does that half the day, so that would double his brain cell capacity,
hence two brain cells, instead of one...

hey, true story from the future...

a Cannibal goes down to the butcher shop at the market...

he's looking over the price of meat there.. it ranges from 20 cents a pound to $5.00 a pound..
so he asks the butcher to please explain it for him...

so the butcher tells him,
the 20 cent a pound is for an Irishman... they live off of cheap beer, cheap whiskey and potatoes, so they are a cheap cut of meat..

50 cents a pound is for a Russian.. they aren't much better, cheap vodka, potatoes, bacon and cabbage...

the $1.00 a pound, that's an Italian, they live off of cheap wine, eat plenty of pasta, spaghetti and pizza, but their cuisine is nice laced with some good garlic and herbs which adds flavor...

$2.50 a pound... that's a German.. they eat fine sausages, flavored meats, drink good beer, good wine, etc.. a very nice cut of meat, very flavorable, no matter how its fixed.. hence the $2.50 a pound...

Then he asked about the $5.00 a pound meat.... now that's a Frenchman... they have the finest cuisine.. the best desserts, the finest wine, the finest champagne.. now you're talking the best cut of meat available anywhere for a Cannibal....

so the Cannibal has to ask... well, if the Frenchman is the best cut of meat and is $5.00 a pound.. what is this small package of meats that are $10.00 a pound???

Oh, that's an Alaskan Fisherman/hunter from one of their trailer parks...

well that doesn't sound very exotic to justify $10 a pound, replies the Cannibal...

The Butcher gets a little irritated at that comment... Hey do you have any idea how much effort and time it takes to try and clean one of those S.o.Bs?
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Riddle me this... - 04/21/20
Sorry, fellas. I wanted a 100 page thread, and knew asking that question would get it for me. Hated to stoop to drawing the troll from under his bridge, and the troll chasers from their villages, but that seemed the fastest way to 100 pages...😂
Your on your way...
We should probably look at what the actual people on the North Slope make.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/prudhoe-bay-salary-SRCH_IL.0,11_IC1134149.htm
Explain why it matters.
Explain why it matters.

I keep hearing how much he makes or doesn't make so I thought that I would just look and see how much people up there make. I have a couple of friends who worked up there but they retired last year. With oil going under $0 the demand is going to keep going down. Our gasoline just went under $3.00 a gallon if you can believe that. Times are changing.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/21/20
Originally Posted by 14Homer
Explain why it matters.

I keep hearing how much he makes or doesn't make so I thought that I would just look and see how much people up there make. I have a couple of friends who worked up there but they retired last year. With oil going under $0 the demand is going to keep going down. Our gasoline just went under $3.00 a gallon if you can believe that. Times are changing.

$1.37 a gallon here and very few folks on the road and I work in Atlanta.
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Originally Posted by 14Homer
Explain why it matters.

$1.37 a gallon here and very few folks on the road and I work in Atlanta.

$2.96 here. Money doesn’t go as far here. And you can’t get powder, primers, or cartridges by mail. Your money doesn’t go as far here. Many of the people who work on the slope live in the lower 48.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Riddle me this... - 04/22/20
What the hell do I know about ballistics and such. Every deer I shot (almost every deer) was with a 20 gauge double barrel and punkin' balls. I did kill one with a .357. All under 50 yards. Sometimes I just crack me up.

kwg
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Riddle me this... - 04/22/20
I don't think I'd ever buy another 308. Maybe another 30-06 or 270 for my "magnum" laugh. Or a Swede, 7x57 or 7-08 for something different.
Posted By: minengr Re: Riddle me this... - 05/19/20

I always felt the quality of the post was far more important than post count. Every now and then you luck out and find someone that is impressive with both. Other times, not so much. How many posts did Safariman have?
Posted By: ofelas Re: Riddle me this... - 05/20/20
"Safariman" ?
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Riddle me this... - 05/20/20

It's a free country and it's my money. What's not to get?
Posted By: okie Re: Riddle me this... - 05/22/20
Let me clarify. This is occurring in southern MO. Low elevation, wooded hills and pastures. Shots over 300 yards are rare, 1-200 is most common, 500 is hard to find. Most of my deer have been killed at under 50 yards, many under half that. I use a 308 for the rare occasion I see a deer across a pasture. Farthest shot I have ever had presented here was at 400. The deer died right there. I do use a .223 for coyotes and other vermin. What I am talking about is guys hunting WT deer with small bore rifles and wanting high BC bullets, and trading 308’s and 270’s off at a loss to:do it.

Others hunt differently, and I understand people have their own reasons for choosing a rifle and cartridge. What I am trying to ask is if I am missing some factor in the decision to move to smaller caliber rifles with a stated desire to use high BC bullets in this environment. Seeing impacts in the scope has been mentioned, as well as sectional density. Both those make sense, although I feel the SD argument is somewhat moot when using monos like the TTSX.

To me, the attraction of high BC bullets is purely for long range use, target shooting and hunting past 400 yards or so. Out west and in the croplands, this makes sense if one plans to shoot that far. Where I am, it works fine, but the utility of it is not realized. I usually opt for a load that allows me to point and shoot to 300 and hold over to 400, and this covers every shot I can possibly see in my area. Wondering what I am missing, if anything. I am leaning toward the idea that it’s just guys wanting something different, but the frequency of it got me to wondering if there was something I had missed,

You are missing the chance to buy something smaller with a higher BC just to goober with. You don't need it but need ain't got nothing to do with it. grin Where the guys that are trading off good rifles are going wrong is that they are getting rid of good rifles (at a loss) to buy more rifles.They need to just buy more rifles. grin Nothing wrong with playing the smaller bore higher BC game Less recoil ain't a bad gig either. Rifle Looneyism can easily be compared to a golf bag the more (and different) clubs in it the more versatile (and maybe fun) it can be....If they enjoy it and are having fun with it power to them The experience is good for them...
Posted By: minengr Re: Riddle me this... - 05/24/20
"Safariman" ?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10791439/1

There are several other threads. This one was the final nail in the coffin. Although it seems after a 5 year break, he has started posting again.
Posted By: ofelas Re: Riddle me this... - 05/24/20
Oh.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Riddle me this... - 05/24/20
Hmmmm....try a 6Dasher for a bit and then you'll figure it out....maybe!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Riddle me this... - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I don't think I'd ever buy another 308. Maybe another 30-06 or 270 for my "magnum" laugh. Or a Swede, 7x57 or 7-08 for something different.

7mm-08 is skookum.

P
© 24hourcampfire