Home
Posted By: Cigar Nice rifle.. - 04/22/20
I took some advice from you guys. I asked where do you get deals on rifles in a previous thread. Some answers were USED from pawnshops etc..My original plan was to get a new Winchester M70 in 06 and have it bored out to a 338/06. Long story short, I got a Zastava for $350.00. I have not shot it. And was warned not to shoot a donor rifle because you might like it. I am digging this Zastava.. Never even heard of this manufacturer.. I did a little dig’en before I got it and nothing and bad about them besides 350 is not going to break the bank. . Anyone ever shoot one ?
Posted By: Borealis Bob Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/22/20
A buddy has one in 30-06. Action is a bit rough but it shoots well enough.
Posted By: okie john Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/22/20
A Zastava is a true commercial 98 Mauser with true CRF. Maybe not the slickest action in the world, but that's easy to fix plus there's a huge range of aftermarket options.

You done good.

Okie John
Posted By: Cigar Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/22/20
Originally Posted by okie john
A Zastava is a true commercial 98 Mauser with true CRF. Maybe not the slickest action in the world, but that's easy to fix plus there's a huge range of aftermarket options.

You done good.

Okie John
Thank you Sir.... grin
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/22/20
Before you have it rebooted, I’d grab a box of cheap factory ammonia (or handloads) and shoot enough to verify function.

I like to use the cheapest stuff I can find to lessen
the chance my donor will shoot extremely well smile
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
IMO, and I'm not alone, a good comnercial 98 is better in some ways than not only current M70s, but also the pre64s, and I say that as a big fan of both versions having hunted a 1950 .270 for over 30 years. It may, however, take some time, effort, and money to reach the same level of refinement with some 98s, and Zastavas have been "uneven" in quality in some areas at times, but never to my knowledge in strength or function. As one of the "Mauser" guys here has said, "It's not what you start with, but what you end up with". My late brothr threw some serious money at a Zatava back in the 80s and came up with a real gem. The action was used pretty much as-is, including the factory adjustable trigger.

You did well, enjoy.
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
I could be wrong, but I believe the Remington 798 and 799 were made by Zastava. And they had a 22 rifle made by them.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
They clean up nicely... wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
Beautiful rifle Orion. What’s she chambered in?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
Chambered 6.5x55...
Posted By: Cigar Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I could be wrong, but I believe the Remington 798 and 799 were made by Zastava. And they had a 22 rifle made by them.

Yes, that is what started me down this rabbit hole.. I worked at a gunshop in the 1980s..I have seen and shot all kinds of firearms from around the world.. Never heard anything about this Company.. I was re~reading Death in the Long Grass with the TV on Youtube, USGO, and this soft spoken guy comes on and starts going over Mauser's... Then he throws out Remington and there CRF rifle made by Zastava.. So off I go...
Posted By: Cigar Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Chambered 6.5x55...

One day the gun writers are going " find" this caliber and all the school kids with have them.lol.. Great Caliber..
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Nice rifle.. - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Chambered 6.5x55...

.......... What beauty......... and in one of my favorite chamberings. Unfortunately, they put the bolt handle on the wrong side, ( grin ).
© 24hourcampfire