Home
Posted By: Igloo Alabama Remingtons - 04/28/20
Hello all,

So I have been reading here and elsewhere from people in the know (or having been told by their gunsmiths etc) that the new Remington 700 actions made in the Huntsville, Alabama plant are made on new CNC machinery. Consequently they are a lot more true than their NY counterparts were.

Is there an easy way to know if one is buying the newer rifles? Serial number, date on the box, etc? I had seen on Google that the place opened in 2017 or so, forgot exactly which.

In the market for a 700 and would if at all possible like to have one of these.

Thanks!
Posted By: pullit Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/28/20
Don't know how to tell, but I can tell you that the last several 700 rifles I have worked with (over the last 4 years or so) have been way better than some of the so called "good ones" from the 80's.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/28/20
Originally Posted by pullit
Don't know how to tell, but I can tell you that the last several 700 rifles I have worked with (over the last 4 years or so) have been way better than some of the so called "good ones" from the 80's.

That bodes well at least! Thank you. Happy to hear it.
Posted By: okie john Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/28/20
I bought one of the 700 Package Rifles (https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-adl-stainless-synthetic-scope) last February. I haven't shot it much, but a couple of cheap 150-grain factory loads are sub-MOA with velocities over 2,800 fps, so I'm happy with it thus far.

Okie John
Originally Posted by okie john
I bought one of the 700 Package Rifles (https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-adl-stainless-synthetic-scope) last February. I haven't shot it much, but a couple of cheap 150-grain factory loads are sub-MOA with velocities over 2,800 fps, so I'm happy with it thus far.

Okie John

Very cool and again, good to hear!

May pick up the same package in blued and have it cerakoted. They're a slim, trim little rifle!
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/28/20
If I were interested in a Remington I'd look hard at Bergara. They are a Remington clone made in Lawrenceville GA. They even use the same scope mounts, but with several improvements over the 700. Remington has certainly had their ups and downs, but I think the Bergara is a better rifle than the 700 at its best.

If you want walnut/blue I think this is a much better looking rifle than any 700.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/woodsman-rifle/

Or if you want a more practical synthetic stock. This is their lighter weight version with a #4 barrel contour

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/hunter-rifle/

Or basically the same thing with a heavier #5 barrel contour that is threaded for a suppressor.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/ridge-rifle/
JMR40,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a Bergara actually. A Hunter. If they are made over there in Georgia now though, that is pretty cool.

They sure do have good barrels and they shot great. Smooth action and the triggers spoiled me. But the cheap MIM/cast or what have you bolt shrouds breaking and the threads shearing off on the 6.5CM models kinda gave me pause.

On a rifle that costs double what the 700 does up here in crazy Canuckistani prices, I wasn't too sold on that.

I know...talkin about buying a rifle with a handle thats brazed on here too...But otherwise I hear you. It was like a boutique, small batch, single malt Rem 700.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 16bore Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/28/20
Take it to a restaurant. If it orders sweet tea it was made in the south. If it bitches and complains, it’s a Yankee rifle.
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by 16bore
Take it to a restaurant. If it orders sweet tea it was made in the south. If it bitches and complains, it’s a Yankee rifle.

Good to me.........
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
Wrong. If from the South it would just order tea, as "sweet tea" is all there is.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
Since they are now being made in a plant in Alabama are we going to have to start calling them roffles instead of rifles?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by Igloo
JMR40,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a Bergara actually. A Hunter. If they are made over there in Georgia now though, that is pretty cool.

They sure do have good barrels and they shot great. Smooth action and the triggers spoiled me. But the cheap MIM/cast or what have you bolt shrouds breaking and the threads shearing off on the 6.5CM models kinda gave me pause.

On a rifle that costs double what the 700 does up here in crazy Canuckistani prices, I wasn't too sold on that.

I know...talkin about buying a rifle with a handle thats brazed on here too...But otherwise I hear you. It was like a boutique, small batch, single malt Rem 700.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don't think these rifles (Bergara) are made in Georgia..
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
I’ll know some of their line is now produced in Huntsville, but I did not know that 700 production moved. Does anyone have a Huntsville, AL stamped 700?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
The CNC receivers have the RR serial number. The ones that I've had in the lathe are very straight. A lot of them had the bolt handle mistimed and hard extraction. I've had to send the bolts to Dans40X to be located correctly, timed, and tig welded. I'm starting a 308 with an Obermeyer 11.25 twist barrel. Believe it or not, this is my first 308.
Posted By: mathman Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
What chamber will you use Butch? A SAAMI 308 has a lot of slop.
Posted By: hanco Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/29/20
My Remington 1911 has Alabama markings. I don’t know about rifles.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/30/20
Bergara makes their production rifles in Spain and their limited production/custom rifles in Georgia- I’ve toured that facility. They also make barrels for a surprising number of manufacturers. Great rifles as are the recent production Remingtons I’ve used.
Posted By: davidsapp Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/30/20
Phenotypically - missing and/or buck teeth, a ratty hat with a cursed red “A”, and an absent minded expression. If you poke one of them with a stick, they shout “Roll Tide” without any prompting other than the initial poke.

Wait, were you asking what an Alabaman looks like?

😆
Waiting on JCMCUBIC for response.....
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/30/20
That's not an accurate picture. Some versions may be seen wearing Navy/Orange and yellin' "War Chicken".

Either version is quite unconcerned with anything Big Aurenge related to the only college sport there is...no idjet, nascar ain't college....
Just the tortured musings of a beaten Volunteer fan. We pray daily that none of the scientists in Birmingham or Huntsville figure out how to clone Satan/Saban to whip us for the next generation.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/30/20
If you take it to New Zealand and it asks for tea, you’ll get handed a plate of food.

Crazy to think MSU had saban.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Alabama Remingtons - 04/30/20
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Just the tortured musings of a beaten Volunteer fan. We pray daily that none of the scientists in Birmingham or Huntsville figure out how to clone Satan/Saban to whip us for the next generation.

Bless your heart! <grin>

As a kid in the late 80’s we lived in East Tennessee. My dad is a proud Alabama fan and that meant I had all kinds of UA gear, hats jackets ect. ‘‘Twas not easy considering we were on a good streak of whipping the Vols and the locals were non too happy about it.

As a student at UA through the Mike Duboise to Mike Shula era I fully appreciate these Saban years. He’s a crazy SOB but he’s ours and just about everyone else would love to have him.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/01/20
Just my ‘rumor’, but was told by an acquaintance who actually works at Remington in Huntsville, that it was all new machinery and tooling. Have heard they are much better from various smiths and machinists, as well. I have too much Remington ptsd since the 90s...wouldn’t know first hand, outside of certain specialty rifles.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/02/20

That's a real "thing" too; I saw one at the range. The owner was a lot calmer about it than I would have been. Lower expectations these days, I suppose. Not sure what model it was.

Another one I saw previously, one of their higher end models, looked very nicely done.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/02/20
Pappy are you talking about the Remington or the Bergara?
Posted By: Igloo Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That's a real "thing" too; I saw one at the range. The owner was a lot calmer about it than I would have been. Lower expectations these days, I suppose. Not sure what model it was.

Another one I saw previously, one of their higher end models, looked very nicely done.

Sounds like he took it more calmly than both of us would have, Pappy.

I personally just couldn't get over it being on the rifle at all. When Bergara started handling it by blaming the users, saying there was no problem, and then issuing new "steel" shrouds that still look an awful lot like MIM crap when they break (and they have) I decided I could live with a new 700 at less than half the price.

If the bolt handle falls off at least I didn't pay an arm and a dick for the privilege.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/10/20
Decided to roll the dice on a 700 ADL and upgrade slowly as I go. Not sure when it was made, but its one of the big store combos with the cheapo scope on it. Should have it in my hands and swap in a Triggertech Primary and a Leupold or at least Bushnell Elite 3200 soon.

Thank you everyone for the advice and pointers.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by mathman
What chamber will you use Butch? A SAAMI 308 has a lot of slop.

A friend loaned me his reamer that he uses for comp rifles. I acquired an Obermeyer 11.25 twist 308 barrel many years ago and decided to use it. It has one of Boot's tightbore Palma bore. The groove diameter was .307. Bolt is off to Dan Armstrong to get rid of the ugly Remington bolt handle, time it, and tig weld it. It may be 90 days before it is ready to shoot.
Posted By: shootem Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/11/20
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Waiting on JCMCUBIC for response.....

Does TENnessee still have a football program? Serious question. Haven't heard much about the Big R'ng lately.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/11/20
Originally Posted by GeoW
Pappy are you talking about the Remington or the Bergara?

Sorry.

That was a Bergara.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/11/20
Screw ‘Bedraggle’!
Posted By: Igloo Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/16/20
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Screw ‘Bedraggle’!

Works for me.

In the end it is 700 SPS stainless in 7mm-08. 2016 model.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/18/20
How are you SEC folks going to handle Mike Leach after he is there a couple years?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/18/20
Will look forward to see his W-L record after a couple seasons. Definately playing with the big boys now.

g
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by GeoW
Will look forward to see his W-L record after a couple seasons. Definately playing with the big boys now.

g

Well, maybe 3-4 of them.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/19/20
He’ll end up in a Harley wreck with a grad assistant riding bitch, and condoms and X scattered all over, and it’ll get out, and he’ll end up at a juco. wink. LOL
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Alabama Remingtons - 05/27/20
I think in time MikeLeach will give Satan a run for his money. Leach is a good coach, doesn't put up with a bunch of candy as players.
Who will Alabama get when Satan leaves, nobody wants to follow him.
© 24hourcampfire