Home
Does any manufacture make a rifle in the .284 anymore, on the shelf?
Cooper lists it.
I had a New Ultra Light Arms rifle built in .284 last year. Great little rifle.
I know the backstory of the 280. Why didn't 284 become more popular? (Just lack of a market niche or another botched PR campaign?)
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
I know the backstory of the 280. Why didn't 284 become more popular? (Just lack of a market niche or another botched PR campaign?)

Winchester introduced it in a lever action and semi-auto in 1963. Both rifles were ok, but nothing really special. Before it could be chambered in the M70, well...we all know what happened in 1964.
While not currently made of course, I hunt with and own a few 284's in Savage lever actions. Even with the short action they are impressive and there's nothing faster for quick shooting than a Savage lever gun. they are accurate enough for shooting several hundred yards. Great guns.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
While not currently made of course, I hunt with and own a few 284's in Savage lever actions. Even with the short action they are impressive and there's nothing faster for quick shooting than a Savage lever gun. they are accurate enough for shooting several hundred yards. Great guns.

that would be a good set up for sure!
Somebody is making lots of them in custom form!

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/2020-swn-equipment-list.4005400/

Mike
Melvin made quite a few.
I bought a new Browning A-Bolt featherlight as a special run from Grice's probably 5yrs ago, nice rifle. I had the magazine machined a bit so I could get a little more OAL. It shoots very well with 140, 145 or 150gr bullets. Occasionally you can find left overs on some of the various auction sites.
You do not see many 284 Wins being resold do you.
Love mine.
Originally Posted by Oakster
Does any manufacture make a rifle in the .284 anymore, on the shelf?

None of the majors do.

Limited consumer interest equals limited availability of factory made firearms and loaded ammo. Since Winchester/Olin's single 150 grain factory load has the same approximate performance as their comparable 150 grain 308 factory load, few people seem to be motivated to pay a premium price to buy performance that they can get more easily and for less money.
I presume we're talking about the 284 Win and not something that fires a 284 (7mm) bullet ?
What's the real world velocity you guys see with the 284 Win? I have often heard you get similar velocity as a 280 Rem, but load data I have reviewed doesn't indicate that.
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
What's the real world velocity you guys see with the 284 Win? I have often heard you get similar velocity as a 280 Rem, but load data I have reviewed doesn't indicate that.

Published loading data may not reach the cartridge's actual potential in consideration of the Winchester 100s.
That's why I was curious as what velocity folks are getting. 😀
I see Browning BLRs in 284 WIN every now and then. They dont fly out the door but they do sell
I have a 19.5" barrel on mine and I get around 2900 fps with 160 NPS and around 3200 with 120 BTs.
I picked up an older Browning A Bolt Med in 284 last month. Absolutely love it! Shoots fantastic. Even old factory 125 grainers but loves 140s the best. Now I know why you never see them for sale.
© 24hourcampfire