Home
Posted By: ckat Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Picked up this Steyr Pro Hunter Mountain in 30-06 a couple of weeks ago. 20” stainless barrel, 4-round detachable mag, and SBS action. My first Steyr, and my first 30-06.

The 2-stage trigger had a little creep but was easily adjustable - it is sweet now. Added some two-piece DNZ mounts and a Burris Signature 6x40mm.

Found a good load at 56.5gr of IMR 4350 behind a Sierra GK 165gr bullet with a Fed.215 primer. The chamber is SHORT throated - 3.165” COAL put it 0.020” off of the lands.

These things don’t win any beauty contests, but they handle nicely and shoot! Any other Steyr fans out there?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Looks like you have some room to seat those bullets out in that magazine. I have owned one steyr. It was chambered for 260 Remington. It was a shooter too. Wouldn't mind having another.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
That looks really nice. I'll say I'm a fan, although I don't
have one or any other bolt action since I can't use one
properly. A friend had one of those old SSG's back in
the 1980's and I was always semi jealous of it. It was
definitely a pure shooting machine. As smooth as if it
was made of silicone coated teflon
Posted By: ckat Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Looks like you have some room to seat those bullets out in that magazine...

Negative - at the pictured length, I am 0.020" from the rifling.

The magazine will allow a much longer COAL, but the throat will not.
Originally Posted by Ranger99
That looks really nice. I'll say I'm a fan, although I don't
have one or any other bolt action since I can't use one
properly. A friend had one of those old SSG's back in
the 1980's and I was always semi jealous of it. It was
definitely a pure shooting machine. As smooth as if it
was made of silicone coated teflon

A buddy (who turned me on to Steyrs) has an SSG 69. It is incredible!!!
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
His SSG was the first rifle I ever saw with a forged barrel and the first modern cartridge rifle with a set trigger . I'd seen set trigger sharps and rolling blocks, but never a modern type rifle
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
I traded into one of the 20" barreled 308's several years ago at a good price. It was very accurate and there was a lot that I liked about it. But I was looking for a lightweight rig for mountain hunting. It wasn't nearly as light as I'd hoped after getting a scope on it. Not that I didn't like the rifle, but it just didn't fill the role that I bought it for so I let it go.

The only real complaint was that the shape of the bolt handle required scope mounting higher than I liked. I understand they can be replaced with a more conventional handle and if I'd kept it would have done so.
Posted By: bartman Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Got a SBS in .270. Loaded to max COL the mag allows I'm not even touching the lands. With 150 Sierra's and RE26 groups are spooky tight. Be careful if you disassemble the bolt for cleaning, your one click away from a big headache. Ask me how I know this. Stock is slippery, rifle handles like a pig, bolt lift was a bit hard before modification but it does shoot and it works.......every time.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Had a 270 WSM never had to load for it since it shot everything SUBMOA. Used Federal trophy copper 130 , never felt a need for anything else on whitetail.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Got a reg one in.30-06.
Shoots Ok but is heavy.
Went to MGW and got a spare mag and the softer recoil pad for good price.
Scope base was ordered from NECG.
Slapped a 3-9x50 on it just to start shooting.
Burris med signature Zees.
Proly drop a reg 40mm 3.5-10x vx3 or vx3i on it.
Rifle purchased new on closeout from Martin Retting online.
I heard about the bolt shape issue. Have plenty of clearance, can try to go lower w smaller obj scope.

Bolt lift on mine is not hard

Purchased to be a do all/ bad weather rifle.
If its raining this deer season will use it.
I do have the softer recoil pad on order from MGW - the factory “pad” is closer to hockey puck. It’s no featherweight, but it’s not an elephant either. I have not experienced any hard bolt lift.

My DNZ’s are mediums - clear sight picture with cheek weld is near perfect with plenty of bolt clearance even with BC flip-ups on the scope. I could see where some of the scopes with larger ocular bells (Zeiss, Meopta, Nikon, etc.) might be problematic.

I would be curious to know about their Mannox coating - all claims are that it is near rust proof??? The barrels are pretty neat looking...

Originally Posted by bartman
...Be careful if you disassemble the bolt for cleaning, your one click away from a big headache. Ask me how I know this...

Good to know. Thanks!
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Originally Posted by bartman
Got a SBS in .270. Loaded to max COL the mag allows I'm not even touching the lands. With 150 Sierra's and RE26 groups are spooky tight. Be careful if you disassemble the bolt for cleaning, your one click away from a big headache. Ask me how I know this. Stock is slippery, rifle handles like a pig, bolt lift was a bit hard before modification but it does shoot and it works.......every time.

Only the Howa/Vanguard rifles have an easier bolt to disassemble and assemble.
The trick is not turning the bolt too far on reassembly. I believe Steyr supplied a special tool at one time just in case this happened. Bought mine used at a discount and it didn't come with this.
Newer models also came with a modified bolt cam that eased the upward cocking stoke of the bolt. Mine is prior to this and at one time it took quite a bit of force to raise the bolt handle.
One of the things that I have also found in my Steyr is reliable feeding. I have dummy rounds assembled and have cycled them through the action as quickly as I could.........many, many, many times.. The thing just runs. Failures with some of my other rifles has illustrated just how good the Steyr system is.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 05/31/20
Originally Posted by ckat
Any other Steyr fans out there?

Ya!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Steyr Pro Hunter, 7MM Rem Mag

Steyr Mannlicher Classic, 6.5 x 55 SE

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Steyr Mannlicher Classic, 270 Win.

Steyr Mountain Rifle, 308 Win

Steyr Pro Hunter, 376 Steyr

Steyr Mannlicher Classic, 8mm Mauser (8 x 57JS)

Steyr Classic Mannlicher Carbine, 7mm-08

Steyr Ultralight, 223 Rem

GWB
Wow, geedubya, I would say "fan" is an understatement. Nice collection... as usual from you.
Posted By: domit Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/01/20
I have 3 mod -m professional 2 in 3006 and one in 9.3x62. the second one is back up in case something really bad happens and #1 goes missing or stolen or the ship sinks. can't ever have enough 3006.
Posted By: driggy Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/01/20
Put me down for 3. A 243 Win, 260 Rem, and a 308 Win. The 308 is a mountain, the other 2 are long barrels.
Posted By: driggy Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/01/20
duplicate post.
Posted By: bartman Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/02/20
https://postimg.cc/LYv4Ysky
https://postimg.cc/LYv4Ysky
postimage !@#$%^
Posted By: ckat Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/02/20
Very nice Bartman!!!

With Postimage, click on the share button (3 dots with lines connecting them) under the photo - use the “Hotlink for forums” address - copy that address - paste it here in the text box - your all done.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/04/20
I've heard of them....
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/05/20
I've heard of them too, X two. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: 2506man Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/06/20
I've got 3, 25-06, 270 and 7mm-08. All sub MOA. Sub 1/2 MOA with their favorite hand loads. I use the 7-08 to play at 1000 once in a while.
Posted By: ckat Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/06/20
Originally Posted by 2506man
I've got 3, 25-06, 270 and 7mm-08. All sub MOA. Sub 1/2 MOA with their favorite hand loads. I use the 7-08 to play at 1000 once in a while.

Don’t see many 25-06 Steyrs... that is one that would pique my interest!
Posted By: geedubya Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/06/20
Originally Posted by 2506man

Don’t see many 25-06 Steyrs... that is one that would pique my interest!

even more scarce is the Steyr Pro in a cammo factory stock chambered for the 25-06.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Biebs Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/06/20
GW, one or two of those look pretty familiar! :-)
Posted By: geedubya Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/06/20
Originally Posted by Biebs
GW, one or two of those look pretty familiar! :-)

I tell folks that when i was younger, "getting lucky" had a different meaning than it does in my dotage.

These days, "getting lucky" is walking from one room to another, and remembering why I did.

So with that in mind, there is a good possibility that a couple Steyr rifles in my collection you may have pre-enjoyed!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/07/20
I would be curious to know about their Mannox coating - all claims are that it is near rust proof???

As far as I know, Mannox is not a coating, but is a trademarked name for a salt bath nitriding process. It is a surface hardening process, and results in a finish that is very hard and more corrosion resistant than stainless steel. Actions that are nitrided are also usually very slick.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/07/20
Thanks Whelenaway. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/08/20
I've got one just like the OP in 30.06. It's a shooter.

Just never take it anymore. It's kinda heavy.

O the curse of the lucky rifleman.
Posted By: OverGunnedIdiot Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/08/20
I had one in 7mm rem that I got rid of...had a timney trigger and custom break, kicked like a .243....I wish like hell every day I had never gotten rid of it! Sold it to get a Sako Greywolf in .300 win....which I love also!
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 06/09/20
I have a .260 that was originally in the synthetic camo stock. Swapped it out for a Forester stock.
Posted By: JasonR Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by geedubya
Any other Steyr fans out there?

Ya!

Steyr Pro Hunter, 7MM Rem Mag

Steyr Mannlicher Classic, 6.5 x 55 SE

Steyr Mannlicher Classic, 270 Win.

Steyr Mountain Rifle, 308 Win

Steyr Pro Hunter, 376 Steyr

Steyr Mannlicher Classic, 8mm Mauser (8 x 57JS)

Steyr Classic Mannlicher Carbine, 7mm-08

Steyr Ultralight, 223 Rem

GWB

I thought I was a huge fan, but I bow down to ya!!!! hahaha Fine looking shooters in there!!!

I have a 300 WM , 270, 7-08 PRO's , and a 243 Scout. Love em all!!!

Recently bought a Meopta Optika fer the 270 but the adjustment (obscenely large) won't allow me to throw the bolt without having to but a pic rail and xtra high rings which would put the scope way outta the comfort zone so back to scope shopping fer it!
Posted By: TestedOnAnimals Re: Steyr Pro Hunter - 07/07/20
I have one in a 280 rem. Tack driver. Smoothest bolt out there. i had a set trigger installed. Breaks like glass, and if you push it forward it lets you snipe a long ways away. Upgrade on it as $125 and had to be done at factory. Amazing
SnT
© 24hourcampfire