Home
Posted By: Landyboy Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/07/20
I'm putting together a 22-243 for a Yote trip this winter. Nice flat shooting rifle about 3-4 inches drop at 300 dead on at 200 and 1.5 high at 100. All shots will be under 300 yards. Looking for a hold and shoot scope what would you guys recommend? I guess more interested in power and objective size and reticle and less in manufacturer.
I have several coyote rifles, 220S, 22-250, 22PPC, 223, 204R, and some others.
Some of them have Leupold VX2, 4-12 40mm A/O with fine duplex. The other rifles have Zeiss conquest, in various magnifications, with the top end being 10 and 14x, some are 44m, one is 50 mm. All these are duplex reticle.
IF I could design the perfect coyote scope (in my opinion) it wild be variable, adjustable objective, duplex, top end 12X, and 40mm.
Sorta what I was thinking, why the AO though? Would that not just be another thing to have to adjust taking time?
Posted By: Lonny Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/08/20
Something in the 3-10 X 40 with standard Duplex reticle should work just fine for what you mentioned.
Posted By: aalf Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/08/20

I wouldn't be without a lighted reticle for a dedicated coyote calling gun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by aalf

Even for day hunting only?
Posted By: aalf Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by Landyboy

Unless you're scared of the dark, on my last set at the end of the day, I sit till it's too dark to see.

I've needed my illumination more than once.
I like the ones with the little hairs in them that cross in the middle, so you can use 'em as an aiming point. And the really good ones are like a telescope, because they magnify the image you see. Pretty cool. I suggest one of those telescope kinds with the crossing hairs.
I would also go along with the 3-9 or 4-12 power range and anything 40 or bigger (within reason) for the objective. For called coyotes, I usually use a 1.5 to 5X variable unless I am out in the sparse prairie.

Unless you're scared of the dark, on my last set at the end of the day, I sit till it's too dark to see.

I've needed my illumination more than once.

Makes sense to me!
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I like the ones with the little hairs in them that cross in the middle, so you can use 'em as an aiming point. And the really good ones are like a telescope, because they magnify the image you see. Pretty cool. I suggest one of those telescope kinds with the crossing hairs.

Sounds really complicated
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Rocket surgeon?
4-12x40. I use an AO scope but you can get by with a fixed scope. A standard plex or German reticle. Those varmint reticles are nice when you’re braced up on a rest but not defined enough when holding on a moving coyote.
Sorta what I was thinking, why the AO though? Would that not just be another thing to have to adjust taking time?

You might come across that target of opportunity that needs more precision. Set the AO at 200yards and leave it, you’ll be better than being fixed at 100 and shooting to 300. Yes, AO is another potential failure point. It won’t matter if you buy a decent quality scope.
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50

You might come across that target of opportunity that needs more precision. Set the AO at 200yards and leave it, you’ll be better than being fixed at 100 and shooting to 300. Yes, AO is another potential failure point. It won’t matter if you buy a decent quality scope.

Thanks!
Get a 3x9 with a standard duplex and go kill coyotes.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/09/20

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

My current calling rifles all have 3x9 with illuminated reticle ( if I need it)

Except for my .17 Rem...what is fast becoming my favorite rifle for fur...its got a 1.75-6X with illuminated reticle.

one rig...

I can't hunt at night and haven't found I need a lighted reticle.

My dedicated coyote rifles have worn Leupold VX3 2.5-8×36 or 3.5-10×40. Probably my longest shot was 450 and the scope was set at 5 power. Duplex reticle.
I have a vx-2 CDS 3-9 maybe I'll put that on.
Posted By: dingo Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/10/20

A leupold M8 fixed 12X works fine on my .17 Remington.

6X42 with LR reticle:

Originally Posted by dingo

That's a beaut.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Except for my .17 Rem...what is fast becoming my favorite rifle for fur...its got a 1.75-6X with illuminated reticle.

One of the smartest guys I know says the same thing about the .17 Remington.
Originally Posted by dingo

Very nice!!
The Conquest 3-9 x40 works great for me. I can see with it several minutes after dusk when I can’t see with my eyes.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/10/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ingwe

One of the smartest guys I know says the same thing about the .17 Remington.

I've heard that someplace ....

I just wish that smart guy had convinced me sooner....

But he hates dogs, and I dont listen to folks who dont like dogs.
Posted By: aalf Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/10/20
Originally Posted by deflave
6X42 with LR reticle:[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sucks donkey balls......

Mounted one up, killed a dog, took it off, & sold it.....

Wow, some one may have gotten a good buy.. One of the best coyote killers I ever knew love 6x scopes.. But what did he know he only shot them everyday for 50 years!! But he hunted in the west not Wis..
Posted By: erich Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/11/20
Coyote hunting scopes are a very personal thing. I call coyotes in the west and find a 1-4x20mm scope perfect for my combo guns and 1.5-6x4?mm scopes on my bolt and AR. I do have a compact 2-7 on a little Sako 222 and a couple of 2-10x4?mm on 22-250's but have never taken them off 2x to kill coyotes. I tried a 3-9 and found it didn't have enough FOV for the way I hunt

Lighted reticles I like, early morning, late afternoons, cloudy days an illuminated dot really stands out in forested or brush country, duplexes can get lost in the branches when trying to track a coyote trough the branches.

Interestingly a fellow that hunts the same country I do uses a 6.5-20x??mm but he tends to set up on hillsides an call big open flats and I head down in the bottoms and thicker brush. I've always found it is easier to call a coyote in cover than to try and call him out of it. The second thing I've found is if the coyote is far enough away to need the top x's on the scope there is plenty of time to turn it up, if they are coming in close enough to need the lower X's/larger FOV on the scope there is never enough time to turn it down.

Win. Model 70 222 Rem 1.5-6x40mm
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Howa Mini 6.5G 1.5-6x40mm

CZ-455 22 Mag 1.5-6x40mm

Savage 11 22-204 1.5-6x40mm

Savage 11 22-250 2.5-8x??mm

Over the years I've posted pics of coyotes and my combo guns with with the 1-4's on them. So ask if you want to see them.

All but one of the pics shown are from this past season, I was experimenting with cartridges this year and left the 22-204 home.

One of my favorite types of terrain, mesquite covered sand hills, most shots are 10 to 70 yards but can stretch out to a couple hundred if you catch one on a side ridge. This is great country for the combo guns, I'm too old to be packing a separate rifle and shotgun.

Posted By: aalf Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/11/20
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Wow, some one may have gotten a good buy.. One of the best coyote killers I ever knew love 6x scopes.. But what did he know he only shot them everyday for 50 years!! But he hunted in the west not Wis..

World of difference for sure. Get your buddy over here & he'll shltcan the 6X too.

Although I've hunted where I wished I had more than 10X, even more if you get one that hangs up way out there.

My favorite scope is a Nightforce 2.5-10, covers everything quite nicely, including illumination.

You guys are killing me with all these pics:) I have to wait until December for Montana. Were going to be stationary calling in mostly open area with line of sight 500 yards or more.
I can't he is dead and has killed more coyotes than you will ever see on your westward adventures...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/11/20
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

For strictly daylight calling...I always thought a straight 6X was the shizz....

Stuck on a .22-250 it was as close to set and forget as anything could be...point and shoot, like a camera.
Everybody's eyes are different and I have met people that think the 6X just isn't enough for dogs.

But I think it has to do with people's eyes more than anything else.

I've used that magnification on everything from five yards to 500 on dogs (my brother killed one at a lasered 600 with the same scope) and I think they're flat perfect.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/11/20
Even though I use a variable X scope, 6X is where it sits 95% of the time when on stand. Works well for me on close shots and what I consider far.
Ive ran a 1.5X6 heavy duplex on all my coyote rifles for years and always thought they were about perfect for predator hunting.

Here I was thinking I would a top end of 20 glad I ask you guys! I think I will probably use my vx2 3-9 cds unless I find a illuminated one before then.
What do you guys think about this one CROSSFIRE® II 3-12X56 AO V-Brite (MOA) Reticle | 30 mm Tube. Not sure about that 56mm OBJ though. I know its not a top of the line scope but....
You have been given good advice about using a 3-9 set on 6 power, since you already have one it using it is a no-brainer. Unless you are planning on night hunting there is no overwhelming reason to have a lighted reticle or a 56mm objective. Quit obsessing, get the 3-9 mounted up and get out and use it.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
You have been given good advice about using a 3-9 set on 6 power, since you already have one it using it is a no-brainer. Unless you are planning on night hunting there is no overwhelming reason to have a lighted reticle or a 56mm objective. Quit obsessing, get the 3-9 mounted up and get out and use it.

drover

Understood! I tend to overthink things sometimes!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/11/20
Originally Posted by drover

drover

Understood! I tend to overthink things sometimes!

Andddddddd...there you go!
Ok guys lets change this up a little, what kind of tri-pod/support system do you like for stationary calling?
Elbows on knees is all the support I use. I tried sticks way back and figured out they were not the answer for me, moving shots will have the sticks tipping onto one leg causing a low shot, they handcuffed me to many times, so I went back to tried and true elbows on knees.....never looked back.
Posted By: aalf Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/15/20

Posted By: Lonny Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/15/20
Snipe-pod for me. Been using it for a couple decades. Main use is called coyotes, but it goes on every hunt for everything from ground squirrels to elk.

Whatever you get, practice with it and learn how to use it.

Posted By: erich Re: Coyote Scope recommendations - 07/15/20
I like to call tighter cover and find anything attached to the rifle just gets hung up when trying to swing on one coming from the sides. I usually don't even see my coyotes until they are inside shotgun range so cross sticks that can fall out of the way work great for me, I practice on them all year.

I would like to try one of those saddle tripod in open country, but have been doing well with cross sticks there also. My bolt actions have tall pins in place of the front sling swivel so the cross sticks don't skid down the barrel.

Note the copper pin at the front of the stock.

Leupold VX-Freedom or VX-1 in 3-9x40 will solve most of your problems. Use the wind, sit still, don't just blare the call on full volume and you will probably be able to shoot 75% of them on 4 power. Dial up if you need to.
I've always used a Harris or two stick held together with chunks of bicycle inner tube.
© 24hourcampfire