Home
Posted By: Cowboybart Twist and bullet weight - 07/29/20
I'm putting together a 22-250 with a 13" twist. How heavy of bullets will that stabilize? I realize that the length really determines stabilization and other factors like elevation and humidity play a role. I'm just looking for a general weight range to start with.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Twist and bullet weight - 07/29/20
Up to 60 grains...unless you go with the Sierra 63 gr. SMP..a "short fat" bullet designed for just that kind of thing. Great deer bullet, and accurate!
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Twist and bullet weight - 07/30/20
Why did you decide on a 13" twist? Special order?
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Twist and bullet weight - 07/30/20
Picked up the new/unused barrel for $50. I was guessing it was a 12" twist - Surprise Surprise!! I was also told it was an ER Shaw, but it turns out to be a Douglas !!
I think your twist is just fine for the 22-250.
Posted By: aardvaark Re: Twist and bullet weight - 09/05/20
If you google bullet twist rate calculator you’ll find just that. Enter your info and there you go. You’ll need the bullet total length, it’s bc, whether it’s tipped or not, FPS your anticipate to drive it at

I’ve experienced it twice now that if you only have marginal stability your bullet will be ok up to 100 yds but by 200 yds your groups open to 4-6” indicating that your rifle doesn’t spin them fast enough.

One is a 22-250 and 55 gr bullets. Not sure of the twist but can’t use the 55’s but 52’s work fine. Both are non tipped bullets
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Twist and bullet weight - 09/05/20

not the weight..........

but the length......

example.......53 V max......is long & flat BC's

52 gr Nosler comp......short & not so flat

Rifle's purpose ?

50 V max is a BT.......55 is not........
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Twist and bullet weight - 09/05/20

223 9 twist is more versitile than a 12 twist.........

Just a for example..........

better to over twist a boolit than under twist it
© 24hourcampfire