Home
Posted By: Gun_Geezer AR with 5.56 for varmints? - 09/09/20
I have a chance to go varminting for 2 nights in January. I don't have a "small" caliber rifle except for my AR15 in 5.56mm. Everything else is 30 caliber.

Is this an adequate rifle and chambering for coyotes out to 200-yards?
Posted By: TheKid Re: AR with 5.56 for varmints? - 09/09/20
Yes
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I have a chance to go varminting for 2 nights in January. I don't have a "small" caliber rifle except for my AR15 in 5.56mm. Everything else is 30 caliber.

Is this an adequate rifle and chambering for coyotes out to 200-yards?

I have probably killed more coyotes with my AR than all of my other rifles combined, is good well past 200yds. The most important thing is to find a load that shoots accurate and a bullet that puts them down, my favorite at the moment is VVN133 with a 40gr BT. another great one is 65gr SierraBT with a full case of Varget
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm not going to reload and will buy factory rounds for varmints. The LE6920 has a chrome lined 1/7 twist. Can you recommend a good commerical cartridge for that combo against coyotes and bobcat?
Posted By: szihn Re: AR with 5.56 for varmints? - 09/10/20
Without any doubts
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm not going to reload and will buy factory rounds for varmints. The LE6920 has a chrome lined 1/7 twist. Can you recommend a good commerical cartridge for that combo against coyotes and bobcat?

I like Fiocci for both cost and quality.

I had some 50 gr V-max loaded with AA2460 in Lapua brass that ended up shooting into exactly the same group that some Fiocci loaded with the same bullets shot. Less than half an inch for 3+3.

That's what I'd recommend, if you can find any varmint ammo available at all.
Posted By: Benbo Re: AR with 5.56 for varmints? - 09/10/20
AR is definitely a great varmint rifle. I usually use one when calling varmints. I load a55 grain nosler BT and have zero complaints. I would definitely start looking for your ammo now..... .223 is pretty hard to find right now. Good luck and enjoy your hunt!
Fortunately, I have plenty of of 5.56 but it's all FMJ or steel core. It'll kill just fine, but was hoping to find a "best" round for my rifle. You're sure rightr: There is no ammo out there to be bought!
Posted By: ryoushi Re: AR with 5.56 for varmints? - 09/11/20
I'll second the Fiocchi with the V-max, they're hell on smaller stuff, if you can find any. At this point, I'd buy anything that expands and just roll with it.
© 24hourcampfire