Home
I am obviously a hunter in CA where we must use lead free bullets. I am working up loads with the 85 gr Barnes TSX, 80 gr Hornady GMX and the 90 gr Nosler E-tip. I have used the 62 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade but they are too explosive and I worry about lack of penetration with a nasty flesh wound.

Does anyone have experience with the above bullets on coyotes?
All of the bullets you have are designed for bigger game than coyotes so expansion may not be quick enough to suit you.
Posted By: ndm Re: Lead free .243 Coyote loads - 09/30/20
85 TSX works pretty well, less than golf ball sized exits usually.
Posted By: erich Re: Lead free .243 Coyote loads - 09/30/20
I've used the 62gr Barnes at about 3600 fps and had huge exits, ruining pelts and have gone to the 55gr NBT Lead Frees in my 6mm-204 3600fps and my 6x45mma little slower and am very satisfied
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Lead free .243 Coyote loads - 09/30/20

For me the heavy bullet cause the less pelt damage also slower seems to be better, I have found no reason to shoot over 3000 fps. Rio7
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lead free .243 Coyote loads - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by RIO7

For me the heavy bullet cause the less pelt damage also slower seems to be better, I have found no reason to shoot over 3000 fps. Rio7

Agree totally... 2600-2700 fps seems to be the magic number.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Lead free .243 Coyote loads - 10/01/20

ingwe,

Happy to hear someone agrees with me on bullets and speed, 3500 to 4000 fps with light bullets, tears the hell out of coyotes and bobcats, their ok for P. Dogs, but burn barrels quickly. Rio7
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lead free .243 Coyote loads - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by RIO7

ingwe,

Happy to hear someone agrees with me on bullets and speed, 3500 to 4000 fps with light bullets, tears the hell out of coyotes and bobcats, their ok for P. Dogs, but burn barrels quickly. Rio7

Yeah the ONLY thing I like going that fast on predators is the .17 Rem...and even then I keep it down to about 3700 ( mainly cause of the barrel burn thingy you mentioned...I LIKE my .17 barrel!) laugh

All that said I have had some good luck on our northern coyotes with a .22-250 at around 3500-3600 with a relatively frangible bullet. However-and here's the caveat- if you hit shoulder bones or spine going in, you can walk through the hole it makes...
I am not a coyote hunter so I have two rifles designated just for coyotes! Both 243's. Have shot one coyote with one, target of opportunity as normal. 75gr Hornady V-Max at abut 100yds or a bit over. Hit in the chest just behind the front leg and the bullet did not exit. Velocity was just under 3400fps.

Talking to a coyote hunter several years ago, he was shooting a 223 Rem using 50gr Hornady Sx's and had the same results.
© 24hourcampfire