Home
Posted By: Rickshaw Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
I was looking at one of these today. I already have reloading components. It appears in good shape and I believe a 24 in barrel. Wondering how they work for anyone that has one. It's not in keeping with the creed craze, but I'm thinking it would make a predator rifle. Thanks for your thoughts.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Should make a fine rifle for whatever you might want to shoot with a 222. Stick a good scope on it and start stacking up the critters.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Would love to have one for a truck gun.

Quiet report and watch the bullet smack a coyote.

My pard killed his first deer with one back in about '85.

Its as good as any Model 700 and better than most.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
I was looking at one of these today. I already have reloading components. It appears in good shape and I believe a 24 in barrel. Wondering how they work for anyone that has one. It's not in keeping with the creed craze, but I'm thinking it would make a predator rifle. Thanks for your thoughts.

Those things are worthless as schitt....best let me know where you saw it, and I'll do the world a favor by removing it from the public eye....
Posted By: Jericho Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
A few years back I had a chance to buy one NIB, and as usual I hesitated............
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Mine was made in '70 and while fussy in some ways, light bullets are ridiculously accurate from it....
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
I remember when the 222 was considered the number one choice as a varmint gun around here.
Posted By: patberg Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
My favorite smaller caliber round. I have quite a few 222s and would not sell any of them. Buy it.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Buy it!
Posted By: erich Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
It is one of my favorites for called coyotes, I have two set up for coyotes (Sako Vixen and Win Mod 70) and I built a target/varmint rig.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Guess it's largely a matter of preference, but trying to decide if the money would be better spent on a CZ or something new. Was going to try to trade an old savage 24 in .222/20 on it. He only offered 300. The savage is rough, with cracks and chips in The grip. He said I should restock it and he'd put it on consignment. My Google fu only turned up one option for an available stock, but the price puts it in the not worth it category.

Don't know if I could find a new cz these days. The action on the adl was silk smooth. I have an old savage 340 in .222 also, but scoped, it just doesn't fit me. The adl feels good. I think I may grab it and keep the savage for posterity.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Personally I’d rather have the 700 than the CZ. I’m not wild about a lot of stuff on the CZs and the 700 despite its shortcomings is like a familiar old friend.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
Personally I’d rather have the 700 than the CZ. I’m not wild about a lot of stuff on the CZs and the 700 despite its shortcomings is like a familiar old friend.

Thanks. I've not handled a cz. Just read good reviews.
Posted By: mart Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
I guess you could say I like the 222. I've had several, eight I think. Kept trading them off thinking I wanted something faster but kept coming back to it. I had an ADL in 222. It was a good gun. My first was Remington 600. There have been a couple of Savage 24Vs, a Winchester 70V, a drilling 16x16x222R, a 40X, and almost a Daly left handed mini Mauser. The barreled action got burned up in the PacNor fire. I have a donor to send to them for barreling to 222 to replace that one.

Lots of coyotes fell to the 600 and the ADL. More than a few rockchucks and ground squirrels as well. Grab the ADL. You won't regret it.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/17/20
I d jump all over that. My. 222 is a 788 but if I found a clean vintage 700 adl in 222 one of those raving 788 collectors could buy mine. Mb
Posted By: wango Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
Buy it . I have one and me and dad have the varmints also . Great gun and accurate little cartridge.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
I’d be tempted to get it to go into the rotation with my 17Rem and 222Mag if I found one local. I’d likely rustle up another fixed 6X, work up a load with either the 55gr Hornady or 55gr Ballistic tip and set forth to slay giants. I have come to really enjoy the small capacity cartridges without all the blast and noise over the last few years. The small stuff is easier to shoot and the better you shoot the better they kill.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’d be tempted to get it to go into the rotation with my 17Rem and 222Mag if I found one local. I’d likely rustle up another fixed 6X, work up a load with either the 55gr Hornady or 55gr Ballistic tip and set forth to slay giants. I have come to really enjoy the small capacity cartridges without all the blast and noise over the last few years. The small stuff is easier to shoot and the better you shoot the better they kill.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
Rickshaw: Sadly I am down to just 6 (six) Rifles in caliber 222 Remington - I have owned a couple of others and why I ever let them get away is beyond me now.
The 222 Remington is simply one of THE most inherently accurate cartridges ever made!
PERIOD!
I bet that 700 ADL in 222 Remington will shoot well for you and will serve perfectly well for 99% of all predator Hunting.
I recommend you buy it and try it out.
If you do get it be sure and let us know how it performs for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
I have a Remington 700 in 222 in the Varmint Special and a sporter version. I took the sporter with me on a business trip last fall and stopped to investigate a few places for PDs along the way. I found a small town and can tell you it’s a whole lot of fun whacking them with this caliber. It didn’t really seem to give up anything to my 223s. My shots were up to about 300 yards and it was a great time for a couple of hours. I would post some pics, but it’s a PITA here to do so. Suffice it to say it chunks em. Buy it. You’ll like it!

I’ve had a number if CZs. I only have one 527 left though in 17 Hornet. The safety is backwards to every other bolt action And the action isn’t very smooth. My 17 is a real shooter and gets used for ground squirrels off a bench so it’s not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
It's a no brainer.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
Originally Posted by deflave
It's a no brainer.

That describes me well.......

But....I gave some funds to hold it till I can pick it up next week.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
It's a no brainer.

Good call.

And congrats.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/18/20
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I remember when the 222 was considered the number one choice as a varmint gun around here.

Mine was a Sako Vixen and BL-C(2) was the only powder I ever considered for reloading. Life was good.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/19/20
It's a no brainer.

Seems it demonstrates just the opposite. Enjoy and please let us know how how it goes.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/19/20
Had one with wood stock and another with black synthetic stock. Neither one were very picky about what it shot good.
45-55 gr bullets
Not bad on fur either
Posted By: roninflag Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/20/20
i currently have 4 three sakos and a 700. best round tomoad for ever. and while none of mine has every fired a factory round ( norma and lapua brass plentiful) since the first one in 1965 .... i walked into walmart near me and they had factory remingotn.222 ammmo
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/21/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Picked it up. Clean shiny bore. 1974 manufacture date I believe. I removed the rear sight and put some integral Talley rings on it. I need to decide on glass.

Trigger is light and crisp. It's the original walker trigger. It's not bedded, but the barrel is pretty much floated. One snug spot, but a piece of copy paper slid through with a little wiggling. Anxious to put some glass on it and see what I can do. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/21/20
That is SWEEEEET!
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/23/20

I put a Burris scope on and did a quick sight in with some factory 50 gr v-max that I have on hand. The lowest hole was at 50 to see if I was on paper after bore sighting it. Next shot at 100 was high and right (not pictured), the next was right above the orange dot. I shot 4 more for a group. Couple strung low. I don't know if that was me or the barrel warming up. I didn't let it cool between shots. And I didn't check to see what order the hits occurred. At any rate, it'll put the smack down on a coyote if I can find one. So far, I'm loving it.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/23/20
Looks good! And you'll find you don't need to cool the barrel with that few shots..The deuce is my favorite on the gopher killing fields where we may fire hundreds of shots in a day.
Posted By: DBrink Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/23/20
Love that one and would like to find one like it. BUT, you gotta pull the front site too (LOL). Super find, enjoy.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/27/20
I've owned ONE 222, it was a Marlin 340....I didn't keep it long as a friend in Montana wanted it real bad for his daughter....
so I gave it to him..

I shoot a lot of 223, and its not uncommon for me to use 222 load data in a 223....

so for those of you who handload and have owned both rounds....

is a 223, with 222 load data, any less, or as accurate as your 222?

I load 223s with any where from 218 and 22 Hornet speeds, up to hot 223 loads...

all both action stuff, as I am a bolt guy, not an AR type of guy...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've owned ONE 222, it was a Marlin 340.....

???
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/27/20
Just for fun I’m going to take one of the 223 700 take off barrels, and set it back and rechamber it to 222 and then sell it as a take off... smile
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
I've owned ONE 222, it was a Marlin 340.....

???

??? can't ya read my mind Ingwe? that's a Marlin version of a Savage 340....

guess my mind forgot what number Marlin called their version...

the others I've had were always 30/30s....

its early and I don't drink coffee... so how bout a break? whistle
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/27/20
Didn't know Marlin ever put their name on the 340...everybody else sure did, so it come as no surprise..

Monkey Wards, Coast to Coast etc...
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/27/20
RickShaw: What a cool rig!
I am glad it is shooting so well for you already.
Please keep us updated on your experiences with it.
I have a bunch of 222's and was thinking of recommending a 'handload recipe" for you accuracy wise - but over the decades I have found it just about impossible to find an "in-accurate" loading for a quality 222 Remington Rifle!
One of the most displeasing occurrence's in my life was when I found out that Big Green had quit making Rifles in the wonderful 222 Remington cartridge way back when!
Was that the beginning of the end for Big Green - maybe, I think?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/27/20
I've owned ONE 222, it was a Marlin 340....I didn't keep it long as a friend in Montana wanted it real bad for his daughter....
so I gave it to him..

I shoot a lot of 223, and its not uncommon for me to use 222 load data in a 223....

so for those of you who handload and have owned both rounds....

is a 223, with 222 load data, any less, or as accurate as your 222?

I load 223s with any where from 218 and 22 Hornet speeds, up to hot 223 loads...

all both action stuff, as I am a bolt guy, not an AR type of guy...

I own and shoot a lot of both 222 and 223, I can always get better accuracy with a 222
Posted By: verns Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 12/30/20
My first 222 was a special run BLR 222 .Not a good choice for such a great cartridge . I Did fight that trigger pull .! The action would freeze up in bad nasty snowy cold .That rifle did carry well I thought I would use it when horseback carrying it in a scabbard. If I still had it I would keep though it was a bit awkward at times .
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Rem 700 adl in ,222 - 03/07/21
I own a 700 BDL .222 that I cut & recrowned at 18” to allow shooting from the truck window (hey I was super young and even dumber than I am now) on our ranch. Honestly lost count (as we all probably have) with the round count after 2500 or so ground squirrels and other targets of opportunity. The little 222 is a super stinger for sure. I recently wanted to expand its capability and got advice from here into bigger game.
© 24hourcampfire