Home
Posted By: dimecovers5 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
I have a .17 Remington LVSF and the recoil pad sorta melted. Bad rubber I guess. Anyway never liked the stock and want a classic sporter style either laminated or medium quality synthetic. The problem I keep running into is I can't find an ADL bottom short action that also has a magnum contour inlet. I think I'm right that the fluted barrel is magnum sized. I really would like it to be a drop in deal with little or no work on my part. I also would prefer to not spend money on bottom metal to get a BDL stock which does seem to exist. Any ideas on what may be out there that would work? If I have to order a custom McMillian would that be a better way to go than ordering bottom metal and buying a medium quality stock? Still hoping a decent quality drop is in out there and somebody can point me to it.

Remington did send a replacement but it's even more awful than the original stock. I want a run and gun light sporter for shots under 150 yards. I might mount a bipod
Posted By: TheKid Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
Boyd’s laminates are decent and not a bunch of money. They should be able to sell you one that will be more or less a drop in. A McMillan will be a far nicer unit but also way more money and wait time.

You could also just have a pad ground to fit your original stock probably around $100 for the pad and installation.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
I went with a McMillan Classic on mine. They were cheaper then, but guess I would do the same now. Get the color you want and a LOP that fits you.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
They’ll drop in a Ti SAUM takeoff stock. Put a want to buy add in the classifieds they go for ~$250
Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
Buy whichever stock you like and sand out the barrel channel if its sporter contour, there is really VERY little difference...Ive got a .17 LVSF that I put into a B&C Alaskan stock...I had the BDL bottom metal on hand, so no biggie there but again, its an easy "fix" to put it in a sporter contour stock.

Heres mine...just because...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: deflave Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
Find a McMillan Compact and hog the channel out yourself. Won't take long at all.

You have one of the greatest calling rifles ever assembled. Don't fugk it up.

Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
Clark...I didn't know your .17 was an LVSF.....sweet!

I would concur...one of the greatest calling rifles ever made.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/07/21
Just sell it to me, and you won't have to worry with it.

I did what Ingwe did, put mine in a B&C Alaskan T1. Not because of the recoil pad, because mine didn't melt, but because I dislike the factory LVSF stock for anything but shooting off a bench.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Find a McMillan Compact and hog the channel out yourself. Won't take long at all.

You have one of the greatest calling rifles ever assembled. Don't fugk it up.

That is an awesome pic!
Posted By: dimecovers5 Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/10/21
Has anyone used #2952 ? Seems like it would fit the fluted barrel of the LVSF without any work.
https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1058
Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 Rem 700 LVSF help - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Has anyone used #2952 ? Seems like it would fit the fluted barrel of the LVSF without any work.
https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1058

No, but I used the BDL version and the barrel channel was perfect....

© 24hourcampfire