Home
Posted By: saddlesore Dead fox pup - 05/16/21
Here is something that has me scratching my head.

I have little piece of ground maybe 15 ft x 20 feet,surrounded with 5 ft corral panels that I use for a small garden.I had a pile of top soil in it that I spread with the tractor, maybe 6 " deep.The other day, I was checking the 4ft old water tank in it I have filled with dirt and asparagus is planted in it. Everything was as it should be. Yesterday, I went in to check the asparagus and noticed something sticking out of the fresh top soil a few feet away that wasn't there the day before. .It was the head of one of this years fox pups. Something had killed one and buried it all except the head in that top soil I had spread,or maybe something else had dug the head up.The top soil was too dry to identify the tracks.

What would kill one and drag it into the area and bury it? We always have a den in the neighbors barn about 150 yards away and another up in the corner of the property about 200 yards away. Coyotes will usually kill most of them but would they bring it in and bury it? Maybe a bob cat? We get a few mtn lions every once in awhile, but they would have a hard time getting into the enclosure.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Dead fox pup - 05/16/21
I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens...... fox mutilating bastiges.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Dead fox pup - 05/16/21
can you put a game cam. on it ?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Dead fox pup - 06/16/21
Put up a game camera if you have one and see what is walking in the garden area. Could be a bobcat, lynx, or maybe mtn lion.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Dead fox pup - 06/24/21
Whatever it was will likely be back for it.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Dead fox pup - 06/25/21
It’s pretty well narrowed down to coyote or bobcat I’m guessing coyote.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Dead fox pup - 06/25/21
Fox pups, like all young wild things, take a pretty good beating from the world. When I was working, it was common to see live ones and dead ones alongside the road on my way to work. Pretty cute little rascals, like kittens, then they grow up.

While turkey hunting last month, I heard some fox noises, followed by what had to be one getting torn apart. What a racket!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Dead fox pup - 06/26/21
One of my fave varmint calls is the dead fox pup
Never really had success, always fall asleep while it plays 😉
© 24hourcampfire