Home
Posted By: drover 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/10/21
I shot this one off my deck at 110 yds. Just a small one, maybe a 2 yr old, it took 3 shots out of the 17 HMR to get the job done (17 gr Hornady V-Max).

The first shot was into the shoulder, he starting spinning and biting at the wound and my second shot was on the other side and just behind the heart/lung area, I put the third one through the ear and into the brain which gave him the big eye look. Yeah, it was a lucky shot because his head was moving as because of him biting at the wound.

The only reason for using the 17 HMR was that it was next to the back door and he was moving into the sagebrush fast enough that if I would have gone to the closet for a 223 he would be gone before I was back. After using the 17 with less than stellar results the 223 is now residing by the back door. The 17 HMR is only a coyote caliber of the last resort for me.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

drover
Posted By: Aspencreek Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/10/21
I'd agree that the 17hmr is not a good choice for coyotes in virtually all cases and glad to hear you are getting that 223 by the door instead. Even with good shot placement, there just isn't much energy in the 17hmr for a coyote, especially as you get out to 100+ yards. Thankfully you must be a good shot (and maybe a bit lucky that he didn't run) as more often than not with a non-immediately lethal impact they'll spin for a moment then bolt off into the brush never to be seen again. I've never gone down that small in cartridge on one, but I have shot a few with a 17 Hornet which has about 3 times the energy at 100. The coyotes I got that were 100-150 yards dropped instantly with barely a twitch, but the one I took at 250 yards spun like yours and took a follow up hit to put down. Now I keep it to a minimum of a 204 Ruger or 223 as I want them anchored instantly as much as possible.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/10/21

17hmr, is of no use to me, we don't have sage rats, or other little critters to shoot and it's not enough gun for Coyotes, and i don't like a 17 for pigs, and i don't shoot enough Grey Fox, to carry a 17, i can't find a spot for a 17 in my safe.YMMV Rio7
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by Aspencreek
I'd agree that the 17hmr is not a good choice for coyotes in virtually all cases and glad to hear you are getting that 223 by the door instead. Even with good shot placement, there just isn't much energy in the 17hmr for a coyote, especially as you get out to 100+ yards. Thankfully you must be a good shot (and maybe a bit lucky that he didn't run) as more often than not with a non-immediately lethal impact they'll spin for a moment then bolt off into the brush never to be seen again. I've never gone down that small in cartridge on one, but I have shot a few with a 17 Hornet which has about 3 times the energy at 100. The coyotes I got that were 100-150 yards dropped instantly with barely a twitch, but the one I took at 250 yards spun like yours and took a follow up hit to put down. Now I keep it to a minimum of a 204 Ruger or 223 as I want them anchored instantly as much as possible.

I agree. I have seen a few coyote shot with the 17HMR, none were DRT and all needed at least 1 additional fatal hit before dying. I have found that the 17HMR is a more effective killer of small varmints, those weighing under 10 lbs., than those larger and heavier. Out to 75+/- yards I have found the .22 Magnum to be a better, quicker, killer of 'cats, coyotes, and foxes than the 17HMR. While the 17HMR is almost always more accurate than the .22 Magnum, the heavier bullets do a better job on heavier game.
Posted By: drover Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

17hmr, is of no use to me, we don't have sage rats, or other little critters to shoot and it's not enough gun for Coyotes, and i don't like a 17 for pigs, and i don't shoot enough Grey Fox, to carry a 17, i can't find a spot for a 17 in my safe.YMMV Rio7

If I didn't have ground squirrels to shoot I would not own a 17HMR, outside the cost of ammo it is the perfect cartridge for shooting them - it adds another easy 50 yards over a 22 L.R. It is definitely a niche cartridge though.

I have been keeping the 17HMR by the back door for flying varmints rather than coyotes and since it was handy it got used, although after this incident it is back to the 223 by the back door.

drover
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/11/21
Try the Hornady 20 grain XTP's
Posted By: FWP Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/11/21
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Try the Hornady 20 grain XTP's

I started using the 20 grain bullets in my 17 HMR for chucks because they penetrate further.
Posted By: drover Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/11/21
I now have a 223 by the backdoor, using a 40 gr Nosler BT @ 3750 fps it has accounted for numerous coyotes from 100 to 300 yards and they were all DRT kills. The 17HMR is the one in the closet now.

drover
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/11/21
If you had let him spin another 15 seconds he would have been dead right there, probablyless time than that.

Seen the 17 HMR work too many times as well as 3 that I shot with a 17 Mach II.

Been around plenty of spinners with a 223 as well. Stepping up to a 22-250, Swift or a 6mm of some sort stops that spinning schitt but doesn't mean the 223 isn't enough gun.

I would keep both by the door. That 17 is hell on anything sitting on posts or in trees.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/16/21
Drover: With that caliber and with that bullet (Hornady 17 grain V-Max) I have killed 3 (three) Coyotes - all were kill't with a single round!
NO.... the 17 HMR is NOT my favorite Coyote round but when the circumstances are urgent and the range is right, careful shot placement WILL do the job!
I know - I done it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/16/21
Originally Posted by drover
I shot this one off my deck at 110 yds. Just a small one, maybe a 2 yr old, it took 3 shots out of the 17 HMR to get the job done (17 gr Hornady V-Max).

The first shot was into the shoulder, he starting spinning and biting at the wound and my second shot was on the other side and just behind the heart/lung area, I put the third one through the ear and into the brain which gave him the big eye look. Yeah, it was a lucky shot because his head was moving as because of him biting at the wound.

The only reason for using the 17 HMR was that it was next to the back door and he was moving into the sagebrush fast enough that if I would have gone to the closet for a 223 he would be gone before I was back. After using the 17 with less than stellar results the 223 is now residing by the back door. The 17 HMR is only a coyote caliber of the last resort for me.

drover

I thought everyone knew this? Even stepping up to the 22 magnum with something like the 50gr federal hp's, you will get better results.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/16/21
We have used the 17 WSM with great results on coyotes. Never shot one with the HMR but the WSM ain’t half bad in my opinion. We’ve shot some at night under lights and some from traps. Pretty effective.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/16/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
We have used the 17 WSM with great results on coyotes. Never shot one with the HMR but the WSM ain’t half bad in my opinion. We’ve shot some at night under lights and some from traps. Pretty effective.

The 17WSM has a little more horsepower. What weight of bullet do you run? A buddy of mine does coyote hunting competitions in southern oregon, and gave up on using the HMR for the same reasons the OP stated. Keep in mind my buddy also keeps the pelts and sells them. 1 hole to sew up us much better than 3... Let alone, if the yote runs off, it can't be scored or sold..
Posted By: beretzs Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/16/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

The 17WSM has a little more horsepower. What weight of bullet do you run? A buddy of mine does coyote hunting competitions in southern oregon, and gave up on using the HMR for the same reasons the OP stated. Keep in mind my buddy also keeps the pelts and sells them. 1 hole to sew up us much better than 3... Let alone, if the yote runs off, it can't be scored or sold..

I believe the AE 17 WSM stuff is a 20 grain VMAX and we have also used the 25 grain VMax as loaded in the Winchester Supreme stuff. Both of those are wicked accurate in my Ruger so we run whatever we can get our hands on. After getting the 17 WSM I don't muck around with the 22 WMR much. Great round, but the WSM is a blast.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
I've kilt critters every day with the 17wsm, since I got it a few weeks ago. Haven't bonked a coyote with it,YET.......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: beretzs Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
I need you to educate me on the rifle and how you put it together. My little brother is dieing for a 17 WSM and if I could get one like yours I might could pass mine along to him. That is a slick set up buddy!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
RimX action, lilja 18"M-24 barrel done by TS Customs. I put it into a AG Privateer stock with TT trigger ARC M-10 rings, LRTS scope and TBAC takedown 22 can. It's a frigging hammer.....

Primal Rights may still have some complete RimX rifles put together.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by drover

drover

Perhaps not ideal, but it worked. That 'yote sure looks surprised!
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
Around 2002 picked one up in Jensens Gun Shop, Tucson Arizona when I first heard about Ruger putting them out. Had them call me when the first one hit the shop, the rifles were just released from factory and ammunition wasn't available at the time. Dropped by two weeks later and stocked up when ammo hit the shelves.
The following winter season I decided to use the 17HMR exclusively for a month just to see how it would do on coyotes, fox and cats. I shot 28 coyotes, 2 gray fox and one bobcat that November. Out of the 28 coyotes, I had 4 runners, the rest pretty solid kills with the obligatory half dozen spinners, but a liver shot coyote will spin before falling over no matter what you smack it with. The get aways I had thought I made good hits, but obviously wasn't the case.
Always liked the HMR, but made my own mind up it wasn't as good of a coyote rifle as my bigger .17s. Fun little rifle for jackrabbits, grackles and gray fox but I never again used it for larger predators.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
RimX action, lilja 18"M-24 barrel done by TS Customs. I put it into a AG Privateer stock with TT trigger ARC M-10 rings, LRTS scope and TBAC takedown 22 can. It's a frigging hammer.....

Primal Rights may still have some complete RimX rifles put together.

Thanks for the build.

Great looking rifle. I’ll check RimX
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I've kilt critters every day with the 17wsm, since I got it a few weeks ago. Haven't bonked a coyote with it,YET.......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Very nice rifle Macgyver.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/17/21
FMJ’s works pretty well on hogs.

Not my first choice but a dead hog is a dead hog.

DF
Posted By: RimfireArtist Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/18/21
I could have told you from the ho-hum lethality on p-dogs that it would not be a good 'yote rifle.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/18/21
ho-hum.......
Posted By: pete53 Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 08/18/21
coyotes and other critters sometimes are just hard to kill i have tried and killed many critters with many different cartridges including the little 22 LR & 17 HMR up to 22 Swift at my home , i have decided most of my shots are less 125 yards , many times 30 yards ,so for the last few years i have used a 22 Hornet , my vote would for a 22 Hornet if your a handloader great old cartridge , its cheap to use, accurate , not to noisy,no recoil , and kills critters good too , so that`s the rifle behind my door Ruger bolt 22 Hornet with a clip all year long.
Posted By: verns Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 09/16/21
Gotta remember that drover pounded this one at 110 yds ! That is a long poke for this cartridge . At 75 it might have bonked him dead with the first shot .I am with you drover that 223 is now in the right place ! Good shootin
Posted By: DANNYL Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/01/21
I have shot a pile of coyotes with 223 and 22-250 using 50-55gr bullets and have probably only had 5% drop in their tracks. If they run off a ways I don't really care and will use my 17wsm also now that I have one. I've had several DRT but they were smacked with a 50 cal muzzle loader and most with deer rifle even through the guts.
Posted By: Milkfever Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/02/21
.17 HMR is the kinda round that dogs run home to die.....
Posted By: VernAK Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/02/21
I've got some really nice fox in the neighborhood with an occasional silver variant. The 17HMR is perfect for harvesting that fox without destroying the fur.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/22/21
I've seen a number of gray fox runners with it. We don't use it for anything but prairie dogs anymore. The WSM is a real step up. Ammo sucks though. Lost a couple of bobcats with it too.
If you have time and close shots it's workable but too many coyote are shot quartering awsy
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/22/21
HMR V-Max. You see the exit, entry behind shoulder on opposite side.

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've got some really nice fox in the neighborhood with an occasional silver variant. The 17HMR is perfect for harvesting that fox without destroying the fur.

In my experience, foxes are more lightly constructed and on average easier to kill than coyotes.
Posted By: viking Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/23/21
I’ve shot some raccoons with my 17 hmr. They all ran off, though not to far.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by viking
I’ve shot some raccoons with my 17 hmr. They all ran off, though not to far.

Try the TNT bullet that CCI loads in their HMR ammo. It's the fastest killer on feral cats, coons and other small vermin.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/24/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

What the hell was that??
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/24/21

Coyote with mange.

Good job Drover.

I have 2 hornets ready for shooting from the house.1 upstairs , may step out on the roof, and 1 down stairs.

Plugged a few interlopers , over the years, with the Smith Jet , which is on the counter.

Good job drover.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/24/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

What the hell was that??

Chupacabra.

Semi common in these parts.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/24/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nasty coyote, .243 not a 17. Rio7
Posted By: SuburbanHunter Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/24/21
geeezzz you did that one a favor! That is the worst looking coyote I've ever seen. I thought you shot the Chupacabra there for a minute.
Posted By: SuburbanHunter Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/24/21
Should have read the thread.... someone beat me to the Chupacabra observation.
Posted By: CamNWIA Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 11/25/21
We get the occasional Chupacabra migrating up to the midwest also. They must like corn.... ;-) .22-250 on this one.

[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/hRwF2pj.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: Redhill Re: 17 HMR vs coyote - 12/28/21
I've been using my .17HMR on rock chucks that are at closer ranges in the 50-100 yard variety. It works super on that critter and the results are explosive. My rifle is superbly accurate but when the wind blows its a headache to hit anything with it.

That said I did take one coyote last spring with it that had been searching a rock pile for dead rock chucks from our previous shoot and while we were partially hid I shot him at around 85-90 yards. We normally have used tricked out 10/22s for this close-range work for rock chucks and at that distance it would have been a doubtful hit with a .22lr. I hit him in the high shoulder/spine area and he went straight down and kicked for a while.

I have heard about shot placement on coyotes to prevent the spinners and run offs and if I remember the recommended placement was away from the ribs and in the high shoulder. Could be wrong and would welcome any info.
© 24hourcampfire