Home
Posted By: tjm10025 Mouth calls for predators - 09/04/21

For someone who wants to get into mouth-calling for predators, what manufactures would you guys recommend?
The Haydel Brand Government Hunter has always worked very well for me for many years.

https://www.presleysoutdoors.com/government-hunt-cottontail-cal/
Posted By: erich Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/04/21
Kerry Carver, Rick Robins, Ed Sceery
Posted By: TWR Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/05/21
Tally Ho is probably my favorite and a Crit’R Call is usually with me too. Verminator Tweety is a good one too.

Anyone remember Krusty and know if he is still around? He made the Krusty Krier and I wish I would’ve picked up a few more.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/05/21
Burnham brothers S2 and S4 have really brought them in for me. A sqeaker from a dog toy can be awesome also. I still use a Weems wild call from way back.
There is a Tallyho stuffed inside a Bill Austin howler in my shirt pocket, right next to the copenhagen, from mid Oct to mid Feb..... Sometimes I'll change it up with a Crittrcall or PeeWee. Once in a while I'll take the handmade horn distress call that mtcurman made me.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/05/21

Thanks, guys.
Posted By: mart Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/05/21
I've always been fond of the old Circe P1 long range rabbit. Good, course, gravely rabbit sound. More than a few eastern Washington coyotes succumbed to my old P1.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/05/21
Kerry Carver Swift call for a closed reed.

Rick Robins makes a nice coaxer.

CritRCall peewee or one of Kerry's open reeds. Or just buy his strictly business set. Great deal for the $$$ and has everything you need while sounding great.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/05/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
The Haydel Brand Government Hunter has always worked very well for me for many years.

https://www.presleysoutdoors.com/government-hunt-cottontail-cal/

I always liked that call, excepting that it seemed to load up with spit and freeze in cold weather faster than any call I used. Lot of solid choices listed by good experienced hunters here and some old favorites of mine as well. One call I wouldn't be without is the Sceery AP-6 bite call. I have called a hell of a lot of critters with the AP-6.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/07/21
Tag
Posted By: ingwe Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/07/21
I've had good luck with Sceery Cottontail, though theres lots of other good ones on the market.
Posted By: erich Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/07/21
Most of the hand calls will call coyotes in the right hands. My criteria for selecting a hand call is easy blowing and ease of manipulating the sound coming out of it. Metal reeds are a pain in the winter. Having suffered from asthma most of my life a very easy calling call was a must. I've grown out of my asthma when I hit the mid 60's so mouth calls are more fun to use now.
I use a Sceery AP-6, a Primos Jackrabbit an old Weems cottontail, and an old Faulks the most.

I usually start each stand with the Sceery, but if nothing shows, I'll switch calls. Sometimes, a particular coyote wants to hear a wood barrel call, sometimes a plastic, and sometimes a metal reed.

One day, calling from a small rise overlooking a large, sage brush flat, nothing showed up using the Sceery. I switched over to the Faulks (wood barrel), and a coyote stands up about 300yds out, and starts trotting in. I know that coyote heard the Sceery, but, for whatever reason, wasn't interested until I lit up the Faulks.

I find coyotes to be like most anything I call, ducks, elk, turkeys, in that a slightly different sound/tone is needed to bring them in.
Posted By: bmoney Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/07/21
Kerry Carver calls are going to solve most of your problems. They have always served me well and I blow them all the time October to April.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/08/21
The most common of them all, Sceery, has been pretty good for me in mild weather. The reed for sure will freeze up when it gets cold but they're easy to change out when they crack. Ups and downs, I guess.

mtcurman made me an open reed distress and a howler which work well too, though I rarely take the open distress call anymore. For relatively inexperienced people (like myself, to an extent), the closed reed distress calls like Sceery work pretty well.
Posted By: Teal Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/08/21
Got an old Crit'R call from early 80's, a squeaker, Syco Tweety, and Tweety on the lanyard.

Used to have an old Burnham Brothers fox call from the 70's too but that got lost.
I have a bag of about 30 calls but have relied on Faulks the most to call, bear, cougar, fox, coyote, and Bobcat. For almost 40 years.
Posted By: TWR Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/08/21
It seems mouth calls are like knives, the perfect one is always the next one you try… I have a few of both laying around.
Posted By: keith Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/30/21
Closed reed calls are much easier to use for a new guy and smokers, and I took a novice on our monthly club hunts for years. I would sit 20 or so yards from the new guy, and blow a series, then have him try and imitate me. Amazing the success, and often we would both blow at the same time.

I would hand them a Very coarse sounding hand call. There are three types that just plain work for a new guy:

Weems Wild call Duo Tone

Johnny Stewart PC 1

Lohman Variable short and long range, and I leave it set on long range for a very coarse gravely sound, and everyone should have one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392484147483?hash=item5b61e0d11b:g:9NEAAOSwn0Bdp4kL

More experienced callers can use the Tally ho, Tweety and similar calls.

I never leave home with out a Bill Austin Female invitation Howler, you had better know what you are doing when you start blowing a howler or you will ruin your chances of seeing anything..

Posted By: smallfry Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The most common of them all, Sceery, has been pretty good for me in mild weather. The reed for sure will freeze up when it gets cold but they're easy to change out when they crack. Ups and downs, I guess.

mtcurman made me an open reed distress and a howler which work well too, though I rarely take the open distress call anymore. For relatively inexperienced people (like myself, to an extent), the closed reed distress calls like Sceery work pretty well.

That work on black bear?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Mouth calls for predators - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by smallfry

That work on black bear?

Im gonna jump in here for Tinman till he gets back. The Jackrabbit call Sceery makes will work on black bear if you kinda scream into it instead of just blow it. No kidding.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/01/21
Have always been impressed with Randy Anderson's calls brought to production and promoted by Primos. KI-YI, Lil' Dog, Hot Dog. Also, have the Primos "Still" Cottontail Rabbit, Tally-Ho, Quaker Boy squeeker and of course the back of hand knuckles.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by smallfry

That work on black bear?

Im gonna jump in here for Tinman till he gets back. The Jackrabbit call Sceery makes will work on black bear if you kinda scream into it instead of just blow it. No kidding.

Is that a jackrabbit call? I’ve called in just about everything with jackrabbit calls. Bears, horse, cats, dogs & coyotes. 2 bears called in came in hot.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/02/21
That rabbit call will get interesting in bear country.grin

mike r
Is Crit'R Call still in business?
Last I heard, they were down.
There's been at least one within reach for about 30 years, for me.
Tjm10025: For beginner "callers" I always recommend and see/hear about great results with the Primos "Raspy Coaxer".
I have even given out several of these as gifts to new/young Hunters.
I still, often, use them after decades of using all manner of calls.
It is inexpensive and easy to learn ad comes with a built in low volume squealer option.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: keith Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/20/21
This call set on Long range produces a very coarse raspy sound. I have called in a Tule Elk Bull with it, many deer, and two black bear....many hundreds of coyotes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174985198749

I have at least 100 hand calls, and this is one of the very, very best that I have ever used. This is a closed reed call, so it is easy for new people to blow, smokers, older people, etc.

One of the most exciting things a hunter can do is call in a black bear....bar none....

Remember that if you are a new caller, always start with a closed reed call, NEVER an open reed. Another thing to remember, howlers often just run coyotes off, there is a howling language you have to learn and imitate, know when to use what. Otherwise, avoid howlers.

Keith
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by keith

One of the most exciting things a hunter can do is call in a black bear....bar none....

Keith

Ummm, I would argue for a pack of wolves! smile
Posted By: MOGC Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by JCS271
Originally Posted by keith

Keith

Ummm, I would argue for a pack of wolves! smile

And you are good at it! Love to see your PM hunt stories and pictures.
Posted By: keith Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/23/21
Wolves are smarter than a Bear, as the will leave...in a hurry!

A large black bear does not always leave, and may stalk you, especially if you are using Sardines as an attractant.

The primos Ki Yi is one of my favorite calls.Super versatile as it can be used open or closed reed and is affordable. Have even called in does by making fawn bleats with it.
Posted By: keith Re: Mouth calls for predators - 10/24/21
Sharp, did you have any trouble with the reed loading up on a closed application?
© 24hourcampfire