Home
Posted By: richyonks 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/27/21
I am a CT resident looking to hunt Coyotes on state land. From what I can't read you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land. I thought about giving the 17wsm a try but it seems like there is mixed reviews on the rifles and ammunition. all thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks!
Posted By: bkraft Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/27/21
17 Remington.
Posted By: bmoney Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/27/21
That is one of the more goofy laws that I have heard of. If you can use a .17 cal I would go to a 17 hornet. If you are limited to rimfire than yeah that is about the most pop you are gonna get. Even as bad as most of the 17WSM's shoot, it will be plenty accurate for coyote out to 150-175 yards. I would not shoot them beyond 125-150 with a wsm but that is just me.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by bmoney
Even as bad as most of the 17WSM's shoot

Quit bad-mouthing the B-Mag......grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by richyonks
I am a CT resident looking to hunt Coyotes on state land. From what I can't read you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land. I thought about giving the 17wsm a try but it seems like there is mixed reviews on the rifles and ammunition. all thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks!

It would be quantum leaps ahead of a .22 LR on coyotes. Not a first choice but given your parameters, maybe the best choice.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/29/21
Connecticut resident to. I picked up a Savage A.22 Magnum for coyotes. Haven’t tried it yet.
Posted By: bmoney Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Lol you got me there. I actually saw a new 1885 Winchester single shot on Ron Spomer's channel that shot like dog wad too. I like the cartridge, it is a cool idea and I really like the rifle that you have.

OP- .22 mag is a good option for closer shots.
Posted By: drover Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 10/31/21
Thanks!

I doubt that you will be satisfied with the results. The 17's, whether it be HMR or WSM, is a great round on what it was it was designed for - ground burrowing rodents. A coyote is a lot heavier weight wise and muscle wise and has more tenacity for life, it may eventually die both it will be rare that it is a quick painless death and IMO even a coyote should not suffer a lingering death.

I shot one with my 17HMR at 110 yds and it only took one time for me to realize how ineffective that the 17 rimfires were on a larger animal. I am sure that there have been coyotes killed with the 17's but I think that they one shot and flop is the exception rather than the rule. I realize that I am using the 17HMR for comparison but I suspect that there is not that much difference in the bullet construction and the results on a coyote are likely to be the same.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ch/true/re-17-hmr-vs-coyote#Post16330058

drover

Posted By: TheBigSky Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 11/02/21
......you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land.

Wow. I can just see the debate between a hunter and a game warden.

The 17 Remington is smaller than the 22 rimfire.
The 17 Remington is larger than the 22 rimfire.

Your government at work.
Posted By: Osky Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 11/21/21

I’m not sure if that’s tongue and cheek. I love my little b-mag. Not the smoothest action around but a terrific shooter.
I keep a bait on the frozen lake out here during winter and last winter I dropped a coyote in its tracks a couple yards this side of it. I’ve shot a good number now with it, no trouble. Cheap to shoot and very lite. .25 grain rounds.

Osky
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by Osky

I love my little b-mag.

Osky

crack whores need love, too......
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 11/22/21
I would go with a .22 Magnum or the .17 HMR with the 25-grain CCI ammo designed to penetrate deeper.

The .17 WSM is essentially dead. It's an OK cartridge, but the .17 HMR ammo for the Savage semi-auto gets just about the same velocity, with excellent accuracy.
Posted By: jtv3062 Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 11/28/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thanks!

It would be quantum leaps ahead of a .22 LR on coyotes. Not a first choice but given your parameters, maybe the best choice.

The WSM knocks them effectively. I watched 1 get hit at around 100 yards and not take another step.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 11/29/21
If you get one, I have a buddy who ordered a case of Hornady 17 wsm by mistake. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Posted By: dale06 Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/01/21
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
......you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land.

Wow. I can just see the debate between a hunter and a game warden.

The 17 Remington is smaller than the 22 rimfire.
The 17 Remington is larger than the 22 rimfire.

Your government at work.

If I were the warden, I’d say the 17 Rem is not a Rimfire, here’s your ticket.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/03/21
I snagged a B-Mag, with the stainless heavy barrel for $180(on clearance)at Field and Stream last year. Not sure about coyotes, but it's a hammer on fox.

It shoots 1/2 inch groups consistently in calm conditions at 100 yds. Add wind, and that's where you find the Achilles heel of just about any 17 cal bullet. I like the WSM for sure. I'd opt for the 20, or 25 grain bullet though. The 20 grain hollow point sure puts a whollop on them!

Only thing I did to the rifle was bedding and free float.

Good luck
Posted By: boomwack Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/08/21
22 WMR or as I call it the 22 'wamer'

All sorts of stuff is in severe danger within 100 yards.

With the new fangled 'tipped' ammo and pointed soft points the ol' magnum just gets better.

Posted By: Dog_Tick Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/10/21
I love the WSM for the job it was designed for. Dont ask it to overstep its range. Rimfire ammo is the only type allowed here after dark with coon hounds and lights. It will fold a coyote if you are patient enough to let them come in as far as they will. Have a B mag with a can and thermal scope, Its a super set up to not disturb the piece.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/10/21
piece of what ?......
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/11/21
Huntsman22: I think he meant "disturb the peace"?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/11/21
FYI - the 17 WSM I referred to is long gone. No more inquiries please.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
If you get one, I have a buddy who ordered a case of Hornady 17 wsm by mistake. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 17 WSM Is it worth it? - 12/23/21
Originally Posted by jtv3062
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thanks!

The WSM knocks them effectively. I watched 1 get hit at around 100 yards and not take another step.

My son has shot a number of them with his B-mag. About 1/3 in killing cotoyes fast enough to easily find them. Having trouble with big bobcats too. You need to pick your shots for sure
© 24hourcampfire