Home
I have a coyote problem and need to get an electronic predator call. What's a good call that you're using that is reliable and won't break the bank? Thanks for the input in advance!
Check out Fox-Pro
A call is only small part of calling coyotes and just about every caller out there will call coyotes as well as the next. The more experience you have you can make uses of the advance options on an expensive calleer.

I have five callers and have been using them since records on a portable 45rpm record player. My $89. JS will call coyotes but doesn't have the options needed for 5 months of calling or options for different terrain. I use callers from JS, Minaskas, FP and WT. The FP remote is my least favorite.

Pick one and get out and call if you aren't already a predator caller you have a large learning curve. Read all you can about stand selection, using the wind, how to act on a stand and on and on.

Good luck to you and shoot straight.
Using a Lucky Duck Revolt . Very happy with it
Problem coyote = snare.
Good call on a snare even if you don't get it right it doesn't spook them.
Lots of good e callers, I use a Foxpro, but they’re a little speedy. I do a lot of calling, so it’s worth the cost for me. Mouth calls at $20 will work fine. Setting up to make the call, and having the right wind is critical.
If you really want to hammer coyotes, traps and snares are the ticket. But that takes some skill, that not many, including me, possess.
I've had some luck with the Foxpro Patriot. Its a single speaker caller without all the bells and whistles but it will get the job done. I've switched recently to the Lucky Duck Revolt. Not enough experience with it to give a good verdict yet. But seems like a great call.
I started out several years back when the foxpro spitfire was still a new model. Most of my coyotes came to pup in distress. The spitfire can be bought know for a fraction of what it was and they work good and are simple. I now use the shockwave which is very nice and the remote is easier to read.
Cheap mini $35 Johny Stewart pulled a few in.
Upgraded to some $300 rig that aint scored yet LOL

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I’ve used mouth calls more than my Foxpro. A few things I like about electronics is you can make sounds that can be hard or impossible with mouth calls. That’s especially true for a new predator caller.

It’s also helpful to get the source of the call away from you some, the animal has most of the attention at the source.

Besides that, I have no problem settling in with my Crit-R-Call ‘PeeWee’, or Burnham Brothers ‘mini-blaster’. One key is to have a few breaks in calling, hopefully the animal shows itself & you get that quick shot.

Regardless, there is still a lot of ‘hunting’ & setup involved.

With ‘problem’ coyotes an experienced trapper would likely have a larger effect than shooting a few. In the Winter an easier method is some roadkill out back by cover. The idea is to get a shot while having the morning coffee.
Thanks everyone for the input. I should have probably given more information. My area is 88 acres which butts up to the Allegheny Natl Forest. Coyotes have been on the rise and I'd like to curb the population. I have an opportunity to hunt from a distance (250-350 yards) over a 10 acre field with a 264 Win Mag that I've got dialed. I'm thinking the electronic call is the ticket for this. Lastly, I have no experience hunting coyotes, so for sure i need to research more and read up. Appreciate the experienced hunters comments!
Just got the roadkill deer in position a few days ago, 3 predators so far. Food a little scarce right now.
For the past 40 years this has brought in more coyotes than anything else. I've used electronic callers and decoys but once you get some practice with a good mouth call you will suprised at how effective they are. Good luck.

Attached picture call1.jpg
Originally Posted by Mkopmani
Thanks everyone for the input. I should have probably given more information. My area is 88 acres which butts up to the Allegheny Natl Forest. Coyotes have been on the rise and I'd like to curb the population. I have an opportunity to hunt from a distance (250-350 yards) over a 10 acre field with a 264 Win Mag that I've got dialed. I'm thinking the electronic call is the ticket for this. Lastly, I have no experience hunting coyotes, so for sure i need to research more and read up. Appreciate the experienced hunters comments!

Bait pile. Make sure you kill the visitors, don’t educate them.

Osky
Originally Posted by vmax204
For the past 40 years this has brought in more coyotes than anything else. I've used electronic callers and decoys but once you get some practice with a good mouth call you will suprised at how effective they are. Good luck.

I agree with using a mouth call. You can put emotion into your call and beg them to come in. You can not do that with a electronic call.

My Brothers and kids use to say, they knew when I had a animal coming in because of the way I would call. I do it this way, when a animal has a rabbit lots of times they will play with it instead of killing and eating right away. A rabbit will only squeal for about 30 to 40 sec. Then quit and start up again after a few mins. I will blow a call till I'm out of breath. When I catch my breath I do it again. When I see a animal I cup the end of the call and will only let out about half the call. It sounds like the rabbit is dyeing.

Something to think about. I think this is the 50th year I have been calling.
The hand calls are my favorite but I like electronics for windy days when I need carrying volume which is often in the west.
Many years back I used the Johnny Stewart machines and tapes until they wore out. As far as recorded sounds I think some of those were the best.
Wore out the last one and went to a foxpro fusion. It has a longer reach for the remote, the sounds are fine.

Osky
Lucky Duck has a youtube series on coyote hunting that is great to watch and they guys try to explain what to do and not do during a stand, what calls they use, etc.... they have another channel also called The Last Stand which also is about coyote hunting using the Lucky duck calls and they call everything from coyotes and bobcats to raccoons.... some great entertainment and good info ...

I've got a Lucky duck revolt and only had a chance to use it one time last year and no results yet, but plan on a couple trips after the first of the year.. I've used mouth calls and had pretty good results with them , but they are limited and I like the ability to place the call out away from myself so I don't spook the coyotes quite so much. If they see you, or even a small movement they are gone... and if they smell you, might as well find a new stand where the wind is right...
Foxpro fusion
Lucky Duck! Good call, Good guys! Love mine!

I bought mine because at the time my favorite you-tubers where using them. Lots of education out there on how to use them and what calls to play, and when.

I am guessing any company who makes a high quality electronic call would work fine.

It was just easier for me to stay on the train.
Randy Anderson hot dog and Lil dog. I never squall at them. Only howl. If you have enough patients and get a nack for howling, you'll be surprised how many will show up. From a long way too. Helps to have a rifle can pop them at 250 to 300 when they hang up and just bark at you. Killed about 50 coyotes one winter doing this. 25-06 rem and 90 grain sierras
Lucky Duck Revolt, with a sack full of Tony Tebbe and Rick Paillet sounds....amazing caller.

I do like me some hand calling though, with my absolute favorite being the Weems All-Call.
Mkopmani: I have sure been happy with my Fox-Pro and the Fox-Pro's of my friends.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: In the way of hand calls I have great luck for a long time with my
I have a FoxPro Hammer Jack with the factory preset sounds. I like the whirley gig visual attractor on it better than the caller itself.

I prefer my Kerry Carver and Rob Patrick mouth calls by a longshot.

Wind in your face,sun on your back as often as possible.
Any yote that you don't kill just got smarter
I really like my FoxPro x24
When you call one in and it won’t stop or is leaving because it’s suspicious bark at it and usually it’ll stop briefly and give a shot opportunity
If one is running full speed crossing in front of you leed it about 8’
"If one is running full speed crossing in front of you leed it about 8’"

is that at 50 yards, 100 yards, 300 yards, or 500 yards?
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Using a Lucky Duck Revolt . Very happy with it

Same here. I also use mouth calls. There are times and reasons for each of them.

In my part of the woods there area a lot of calling contests and the majority of shooters use FoxPro gear, which means most of the coyotes around here are quite educated as to what FoxPro offers.

Ed
Long ago I used Johnny Stewart cassetes and a battery powered recorder/player. The woodpecker distress call was a favorite. Now all I use are mouth calls, two very old Weems calls and a dog toy squeaker. A little teddy bear on a string will distract them and get them to come in sometimes really fast. On the other hand I sometimes get blood meal fertylizer, put a half cup of it in a gallon jug and fill it with water/shake it up and dribble it along a brush line to a spot where I am set up to shoot. No telling what will come along following the blood trail.
Pick the caller that is just out of your price range. Find it on Prime. Prime Days are just a few days away their prices will drop to lower and will be in your price range.
There are good deals to be found on the predator hunting classifieds for used calls. I picked up an almost new Foxpro Banshee for a very good price. Or as stated above look for holiday prices on a new one. Good luck, Dave
i've had several Fox pros, and have a lucky duck as well. both companies make great products.
Anyone have luck with a bleating deer call?
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Anyone have luck with a bleating deer call?

Yes. Lots.
Thanks for the response. I'm going to give it a try
always had better luck with mouth calls, even called in a cougar
I just bought a FOXPRO Patriot caller this afternoon. First one I've ever had. Can't wait to use it. Coyote is open now and fox opens on Wednesday.

NYH1.
© 24hourcampfire