Home
Posted By: Pappy348 Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/07/23
From the 1967 Sports Afield Gun Annual

My, how things have changed!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/08/23
Very interesting. Thanks for posting, Pappy.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/08/23
I remember as a kid waiting for that issue to come out every year to see what a bloodthirsty boy could legally shoot.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/08/23
We didn’t need a guide as a kid, we shot everything…
Posted By: dale06 Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/08/23
Glad to see great horned owls were legal in 67 in Ks. I had one mounted that I shot.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/09/23
1967 back when the 222 REM was still popular as heck
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/09/23
In 1967 Kentucky the most popular varmint hunting was for groundhogs. After that, I'd say coon hunting and then maybe crows. I can remember when it was legal to shoot hawks and great horned owls. Now days, it's coyote hunting.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/09/23
Yotes probably ate all the chucks.

Lots of chucks on farms and roadsides around here, but nobody lets people in to hunt for the most part. After the four-day primitive season, I’m starting on the foxes and hopefully, yotes. Had decided to lay off the dumb-azz foxes until I saw two trying for turkeys within about 15 minutes last season. They must take a big toll on the poults, as they came pretty close to the hens.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/12/23
Yes times have definitely changed. My father in law used to shoot eagles for the bounty and seals for crab bait. He said sea lions didn’t fish well. Wolves and eagles were bonus money. The abandoned school bus was where he and his brother would sit and wait for a good head shot presentation for the brown bears that were a pain in their asses back in the 50’s and early 60’s….their brown bear gun was a .222 Rem Mag and they never required a second shot.

I’d have loved to grow up in Alaska in the post WWII years of the late 40’s-mid 60’s. The stories from family that lived up there for multiple generations are what dreams are made of.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/17/23
Pappy348: Times are a changin.
Back in 1967 it was legal to shoot both Wolverines and Bobcats as "un-protected" Varmints in Montana!
Nowadays you must have a "Trappers License" to legally Hunt Bobcats and the "anti's" have Wolverines tied up in endless court battles (proceedings) so you can no longer (as of three years ago) Hunt them or trap them.
Thanks for the posting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 01/22/23
Yes, back then the mentality was to protect game species, nice to see the Coopers & Sharp-shinned hawks on the list.

Now most Midwest States have ver6 controlled bobcat hunts, or trapping.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 02/13/23
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Yes, back then the mentality was to protect game species, nice to see the Coopers & Sharp-shinned hawks on the list.

Now most Midwest States have ver6 controlled bobcat hunts, or trapping.

Nice to hear from ya Sourdough. Notice in Wisconsin , you could shoot timber wolves. I dont think there were any then but if you did see one, yo ucould shoot it.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Varmint Hunting 1967 - 02/17/23
Originally Posted by shrapnel
We didn’t need a guide as a kid, we shot everything…

LOL, right on!
© 24hourcampfire