Home
Posted By: Bob_mt red dot - 01/29/23
if majority of shots are 200 yards and less.....why not use a red dot ......what are the pros and cons of a set up like that?....bob
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: red dot - 01/30/23
My notion is that I shouldn’t try shots at critters, even varmints, that I can’t do on paper at the range. I'm pretty good with a 2-or 3moa red dot to 100 yards, but the time I tried it at 200 was not encouraging. I haven’t given up yet, just need to practice. When my Mini 14 trigger gets back from its makeover, I’ll give it another whack using a Romeo 5.

Still, just seeing a fox or yote at 200 without magnification on my hunting grounds is pretty tough, let alone making a good shot on one. Called in close is something else, and I have a FF3 8moa on a Mossberg 590s.
Posted By: Bob_mt Re: red dot - 02/01/23
348...thanks and good points...bob
Posted By: erich Re: red dot - 02/01/23
Something like a 1-6 scope with an illuminated dot will do just about anything a red dot will do and give you the versatility to pick out a coyotes head poking out of the brush out there.

I do have some experience with red dots, on my Glock 19 and my bow, both are fine to 30 yards but my rifles get low power scopes with large FOVs.
© 24hourcampfire