Home
Posted By: MAC Calling in Mountain Lion - 04/02/23
I am seriously considering spending a lot of time this fall/winter trying to call in a lion in southern CO. I know an area with a good population of them and have been in contact with the game warden for that area and he says it is definitely possible in that area. I've done my fair share of calling in coyotes, foxes and bobcats but have never targeted lion. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am not allowed to use electronic calls in that area so it has to be mouth blown calls. Just not sure what would be best, rabbit? Deer in distress? Or something else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: erich Re: Calling in Mountain Lion - 04/03/23
You might want to PM "rainshadow1" he's kind of a cougar calling guru. I went to one of his seminars. He posts here occasionally.
Thanks, Erich.

There are a few hand-called stories on my website, and I do recommend adding in vocals, which I can do in a hand call.

rain-shadow.com

It's definitely tougher to call them to your person, as opposed to calling them over there to your appliance, but it can be done!
Posted By: texken Re: Calling in Mountain Lion - 04/05/23
friend of mine has had two come in (different times) when calling coyotes, 1st time he had to change drawers
Mac,

We've had some success calling lions in here in SE NM using fawn bleats, calf bawls, and basic jackrabbit distress calls.

And, believe it or not, using a Lohman Wood Quail call blown fairly gently; LINK

None of these were on purpose... eek

Ed
Lions will come to a variety of sounds but they are typically extremely wary. I would guess that 10 come in for every one you get a shot at.

I have called in dozens. The hand call is going to make it harder. 45 minutes of calling is pretty typical for lions. My favorite sounds are deer distress sounds. Often you will call in a doe which becomes the perfect decoy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Calling in Mountain Lion - 06/04/23
Judging from the experience of quite a few of our local bowhunters in the know, a calf elk call in distress seems to work...much to their occasional consternation.
Posted By: GregW Re: Calling in Mountain Lion - 06/04/23
Called this pretty big guy in last fall using a combo of female vocalizations and distress. 35 minutes and shot him off hand at 80 yards. Only saw his face and a chunk of neck/upper shoulder.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: MikeS Re: Calling in Mountain Lion - 06/04/23
Good job and great photo Greg!

There are some lions ruining my favorite spot in 33, but I don't have the nerve to try calling them in with my hand blown calls.
Great photo, Greg
Posted By: pete53 Re: Calling in Mountain Lion - 06/12/23
called a Mountain Lion in the mountains above the tree line using a mouse squeaker call put an arrow in that cat too at 30 yards back in the day with a Zwickey broadhead 40 some years ago.
© 24hourcampfire