Home
Posted By: knatknocker Gut shot coyotes - 06/12/23
I have 20 acres behind the house and have been wacking coyotes .I night I sit on my 2nd floor balcony watching the field. I can hear coyote yipping about 350 yard from house inside woods. First sighting was early morning 1 mature and 2 young. Mommy got dead right there and little one beat feet into the bush. Mommy was nursing. Second sighting was at dusk. Again 1 mature and 1 young. I hit the larger one and it went down, swung to shoot Jr. and saw mature one get up and kinda scamper, then lay down, and get right back up waddle into the brush. I am sure it was a gut shot. Since, I have shot 2 more young. The young ones do not respond to calls. There must be a den close by. I am out of ground hogs hoping some come to the funeral. I usually have 6 to 8 deer and fawns by now, so far nothing. What is the normal number size of a liter ?? Oh, little 17 HMR 20 HP, T-bolt works fine at that range.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/13/23
Coyotes at 350 yards with a 17 HMR?
Interesting.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/13/23
Originally Posted by dale06
Coyotes at 350 yards with a 17 HMR?
Interesting.

I'm not sure that is what he said?
Posted By: pete53 Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/13/23
350 yards is a long ways out coyotes don`t die easy, 17 HMR is a bird/rabbit cartridge at best . get a 223,22-250 ,220 swift,243 Win. 6.5 Creedmoor whatever. good luck,Pete53
Posted By: knatknocker Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/13/23
Heard not shot , hello ?
Posted By: drover Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/13/23
Originally Posted by knatknocker
Heard not shot , hello ?

The only yardage mentioned in your post is 350 yards, and then you make this statement at the end of your post.

Oh, little 17 HMR 20 HP, T-bolt works fine at that range.

Nowhere in your post is the actual range you shot the coyote mentioned so it is indirectly inferred that you were shooting at 350 yards.

drover
Posted By: jc189 Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/13/23
I have 20 acres behind the house and have been wacking coyotes .I night I sit on my 2nd floor balcony watching the field. I can hear coyote yipping about 350 yard from house inside woods. First sighting was early morning 1 mature and 2 young. Mommy got dead right there and little one beat feet into the bush.

OP states he can hear them 350yds inside the woods. First sighting was early morning, I am assuming they came out of the woods to the wood line. He shoots one and the other goes back into the woods. First question is how far is the wood line or first shot?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/14/23
I've tracked a few coyotes that were dropping stomach contents (mice) about every 20 or 30 yds and never found them. Pretty well opened up with a 22-250. They can be a bit durable.

As to litter size: Did a debate paper once many years back (pro/con predator control), and litter size can be coyote density and prey density dependent. With some models, one may actually boost the population by eliminating about half of their numbers in a given year. I.e. less competition can foster larger litters. Average is between 4 and 7.
Posted By: drover Re: Gut shot coyotes - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by 1minute
As to litter size: Did a debate paper once many years back (pro/con predator control), and litter size can be coyote density and prey density dependent. With some models, one may actually boost the population by eliminating about half of their numbers in a given year. I.e. less competition can foster larger litters. Average is between 4 and 7.

Yep, sort of like the old cowboy saying - "kill one coyote and two come to his funeral". They will fill a void very quickly.

drover
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Gut shot coyotes - 07/13/23
I've tracked a few coyotes that were dropping stomach contents (mice) about every 20 or 30 yds and never found them. Pretty well opened up with a 22-250. They can be a bit durable.

This

I hunted coyotes with hounds for many years. I have seen coyotes that were marginally hot run literally for miles and still put up a fight with multiple hounds. They have my hatred and respect.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gut shot coyotes - 07/13/23

From my understanding of basic coyote biology, that is spot on.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Gut shot coyotes - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer

This

I hunted coyotes with hounds for many years. I have seen coyotes that were marginally hot run literally for miles and still put up a fight with multiple hounds. They have my hatred and respect.
Running hounds was a very fun time. Too many cars and too many people nowadays aren't fond of hounds crossing their land.
Posted By: abbydog Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/01/23
My son shot a big male on Sunday with his Ravin XBOW. He was mowing the lawn and he sees it sitting on the edge of the woods 50 yards away looking towards the houses. Gets off the mower, runs and gets the xbow. Yote still sitting there. It turns and walks slowly back in the woods. He springs across the old baseball field (park) and starts smooching when he gets to a large downed oak.
The coyote makes an about face and starts walking slowly towards the sound. He has a red hat on, standing in back of the tree.
It stops, he shoots and hits just to the right of the left shoulder, straight through. Runs 20-30 yards and drops.
We have 5 on camera together. NOW 4!
Posted By: deflave Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/01/23
I have 20 acres behind the house and have been wacking coyotes .I night I sit on my 2nd floor balcony watching the field. I can hear coyote yipping about 350 yard from house inside woods. First sighting was early morning 1 mature and 2 young. Mommy got dead right there and little one beat feet into the bush. Mommy was nursing. Second sighting was at dusk. Again 1 mature and 1 young. I hit the larger one and it went down, swung to shoot Jr. and saw mature one get up and kinda scamper, then lay down, and get right back up waddle into the brush. I am sure it was a gut shot. Since, I have shot 2 more young. The young ones do not respond to calls. There must be a den close by. I am out of ground hogs hoping some come to the funeral. I usually have 6 to 8 deer and fawns by now, so far nothing. What is the normal number size of a liter ?? Oh, little 17 HMR 20 HP, T-bolt works fine at that range.

I see you're from Pennsylvania.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/03/23
Will add my experience that makes me rate coyotes as one of the toughest and tenacious of life of any animal in North America, pound for pound up there with Rocky Mountain goats and grizzlies IME.

Not proud of the shooting but unzipped a moving coyote at about 30 feet, second shot of a triple, so that all of his intestines came out. He stopped when out there a ways and bit off the dragging internals, then travelled 1/4 mile and bedded in a thin strip of brush in an open field. A half hour later he got up when an unsusecting rancher drove near his hiding spot, and the rancher shot him. I felt bad but at least he was finally finished.

The only coyote I have hit and lost was hit hard with a .30-06. Blood trailed him a mile. Have killed them with .22 long rifle, 6mm, .243. .22-250. If not hit well, they take a lot of killing.
Posted By: super T Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/03/23
Coyotes are survivors. When this world of ours comes down to just three animals left, it'll be two coyotes chasing the third.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/03/23
Main thing is that the op got a bullet in it

Good job
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/06/23
gut shots, you say?.....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: verns Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/06/23
Obviously you were aiming for his head ?Nice shot
Posted By: verns Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/07/23
huntsman22 ,I apologize that post above was out of line ! I was trying to match your dry humor in which you excel . Keep up the good work on coyotes no matter how you get them you have the Blessing of every sheepman in the west.They nailed me for 50 lambs in one week before I knew I realized I had a problem .
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/07/23
Verns, you need to have Pat come by before lambing and make a couple runs......

not outta line at all, I WAS aiming for their heads. I reckon I'm just not very good at this kinda stuff.....grin
Posted By: verns Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/08/23
I have since then sold out and moved .I do miss the sheep more than the few cows we had. Dan Thomason is the government trapper for those 3 counties .Sinclair is NW of that area . Keep on shooting ,any opportunity for a shot is better than none .
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Gut shot coyotes - 11/08/23
Originally Posted by huntsman22
gut shots, you say?.....

Now your just showing off. Wind blows a tad out there at Kiowa, blame it on that 😆
© 24hourcampfire