Home
Posted By: DickNoble solids or hp for gophers - 04/11/07
It is that time of year again and I am about to stock on ammo for the great gopher safari.

I was wondering if it really makes a difference if the bullet is hollow point or solid. The shots will be within 50 yards or so and my rifles seem to shoot most brands of ammo minute of gopher at that range.

I look forward to your input.

Richard
hp's.......
HP's, you can kill them with either but will have less "overtravel" and ricochets with the HP's.

J
Far less gophers will make it down their holes before expiring with hp's. Especially the hyper-velocity hp's like the yellow jacket or stinger.
Posted By: JAC43 Re: solids or hp for gophers - 04/11/07
Are you talking about 22LR?

I have a Acu'rzr from Paco Kelly that will put a broad, flat front onto a solid bullet similar to a WFN design, or widen a HP so it really expands.

Get one and try both nose styles. I really can't tell a difference, they both kill well, and help groups too.
Posted By: BRoper Re: solids or hp for gophers - 04/12/07
I have found the h p's to work best.
Another vote for the HP's
HP's ROCK
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: solids or hp for gophers - 04/12/07
Try some of each and judge for yourself. Personally for that situation I tend to favor a 17 gr V-max from the 17 HM 2. Even better than a hollow point. I think the v-max tends to be safer as well as ricochets seem to be a mute point.

Then I suppose I like the flat trajectory out to 100 yards. The carnage imposed by that little pill is amazing. Seldom, maybe never - a question on whether or not the critter was hit.
I hit a gopher a few days ago with a 22LR yellow jacket at about 40 yards head on. At the impact he did a triple backflip and lay still...
Posted By: DickNoble Re: solids or hp for gophers - 04/12/07
Thanks Gents

HP's it is
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: solids or hp for gophers - 04/12/07
The runaway best HP is the CCI Velocitor. That thing hits like a knotted wet towel. Next best is the WW PowerPoint, but those can be hard to find.

Good but running a length behind is the cheapo WW bulk-pack HPs.
Posted By: duramax Re: solids or hp for gophers - 04/12/07
I try to never use solids because of the danger of ricochets.
RockyRaab,
Have you ever tried Remington yellowjackets? Conical hyper-velocity hp. Amazing results.
© 24hourcampfire