Home
Posted By: longarm Mouth call for bears - 03/22/24
Please school me on what I need to turn/bring in a bear.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/23/24
only one I've called in, came thru the backdoor to a turkey call. Was feeling a bit under-gunned with 20 ga 2 3/4 number 6's.....
Posted By: erich Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/23/24
R&R Game Calls in WA state is the place to call. Rick is a call maker and bear hunter and goes by bearmanric. Great guy, i.ve hunted coyotes with him.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/23/24
I've viewed grizzlies in a mile distant blue berry patch and was able to call same with a common rabbit in distress call.
Posted By: Trappererick Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/23/24
Been many a coyote caller surprised during the spring fawn drop using a fawn distress call.
Posted By: erich Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/24/24
Carlson's has a bear calling dvd that is interesting.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/24/24
Brought one in with a doe/fawn distress call.

Bear came in with quite an attitude. I didn't shoot as it was smaller than I wanted, but if it had come any closer, I would have had to shoot. I got a bigger one about a week later by spot and stalk.

I'll never forget that encounter though - the one that came to the call was obviously looking for something to kill and eat. It retreated back into the brush & forest and circled my location, perhaps trying to pick up my scent? Perhaps trying to find the hurt deer it had heard? At any rate, I decided that since I didn't want to shoot that bear, I probably ought to leave the area. Walked back to my truck with my head on a swivel.

Guy
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/24/24
I have called in two inadvertently while hunting other critters. One was with a raspy snowshoe/jackrabbit call and the other with a fawn distress call. The bears came in purposefully but not recklessly. Their stance was more forceful than the norm. I purposely tried calling one in a few times but naturally was unsuccessful.

I was at a friend's one afternoon when a bear was seen crossing a field. I brought it to about 100 yards using a piece of thick grass between my thumbs. I think it would have come closer but we were standing in plain sight in the yard. I did notice that the bear would begin turning away whenever I stopped.
Posted By: longarm Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/24/24
Thanks gents. Appreciate the info and stories
Posted By: rmb721 Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/24/24
There are some bear cub distress calls available.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by rmb721
There are some bear cub distress calls available.

Get the right bear at the right time and you could call him in by banging on the hood of a Buick. Bears associate sounds with food. Rattle his food chain and he will come.
Posted By: Ridgewalker Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/25/24
Personally haven't tried calling them myself. But a friend of mine in CO has called several with a cow elk call that he uses.
In yrs past though I've called in bobcats and coyotes while turkey hunting.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/25/24
Mornin, never tried calling a bear but I would Imagine fawn distress would work in the spring time. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
Posted By: longarm Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/25/24
Any experience with Rocky Mountain Calls such as Lil Raspy or Atomic?
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/26/24
I have both a Big Raspy and a Little Raspy. I like them and used them regularly when I was more actively chasing predators. It was either the Little Raspy or a Circe jackrabbit call that brought in the one bear I mentioned in an earlier post.

BTW, I believe Atomic is a series of calls of which the Little Raspy and Big Raspy are members of. I could be wrong but I seem to recall the word Atomic on both of the calls.
Posted By: longarm Re: Mouth call for bears - 03/27/24
woodmaster81
You are correct. Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls makes an Atomic series. I ordered the "Mean Raspy"
We'll see how it goes this spring ( if it ever arrives..)!
© 24hourcampfire