Home
I hunt in South Carolina and am looking for a varmint rifle. Mostly to be used on coyote fox and bobcat.
Long shot here would be 300 yards, mostly 100-200 yards. So cartridges being considered include 22 Hornet and 223 (not carved in stone), I want an effective cartridge but don't really want to go overkill. I don't reload yet, so factory ammo will be used until at least next year.

Any suggestions are appreciated, both caliber and rifle model.

Thanks guys!
.204...... It don't care which way the compass needle points...... As for model, get the one YOU like.Don
.223 all the way...Huge variety of ammo. as well as being an effective cartridge in your given yardage. If you get a faster twist (1/8-1/9), you can shoot some of the heavier bullets if you ever need to extend your range.
Posted By: GregW Re: Southeast varmint rifle info - 10/16/07
Shotgun first and foremost...
The pick your .20 or .22 cal of choice...

Ovee hlaf my kills are with shottys...
I'd recommend the .223, it will handle the tasks well. Plenty of accurate factory ammo with a wide variety of bullet weights.
Thanks Guys!

JB, where abouts are you located?
Originally Posted by devnull
.223 all the way...Huge variety of ammo. as well as being an effective cartridge in your given yardage. If you get a faster twist (1/8-1/9), you can shoot some of the heavier bullets if you ever need to extend your range.

+1
I'm in the upstate.
Hard to beat the .223, at it's own game.

Pair it with a good shotgun, and you're golden.
That said, my personal favorite is still the .221 Fireball....
I grew up in N.W. Florida and have traveled through 'Carolina.'

The .223R is the best #1 choice, in terms of popularity and economy - for loaded ammo and components. In the thick, close-in Southern woods, you could easily get along with a 20in tube.

And I agree the Fireball is a tempting choice.

By all means have the 12 gagger too - all tricked out, for everything including varmints.
I would give you 5 choices: .17 Rem, .17 Fireball, 204 Ruger, .223, or .22-250. With the latter 3, ammunition is both plentiful and varied. With the first 2, hides won't require sewing. They are all tried and true rounds.
This one would fit the bill nicely. I'd have one now if I did'nt already have one similar.

Savage model 10 Predator in .223, .204 or .22-250

[Linked Image]
CZ 527 in .221 Fireball.
Get an Encore. Buy a 12ga turkey barrel, a 17 Rem/Fireball barrel, and 30-06 barrel.

Or get a Contender with a 17Rem barrel (35" under 6lb scoped with a 21" barrel) and Mossberg 500/Rem 870 turkey gun. If you don't like the 17 Rem barrel it will sell pretty easy and you can switch to 223, 22 Hornet, and 204. The Encore has no real limit for a small centerfire.
grimel's got a point. My two .17 Remington's are both T/C's. One is an Encore with synthetic stock and a standard 26" T/C barrel. The other is a G2 with a wood stock and a custom Bulberry 16 1/4" barrel, which makes for a very short, handy, lightweight rifle. I just got done giving it a camo paint job with Wally-World Krylon. And like he said, you can swap barrels out on them, sticking on a .30-06 or .25-06 or .243 or .22 hornet barrel, if that strikes your fancy.
Don't get a Hornet because if you have any questions about it no one here will answer them.

Neil
nmitchell;

How in the hell would you know?

Because I asked a question 3 days ago. That's how the hell I know.
And I do appreciate your reply to my post.Thanks again.

Neil
Wow.... three whole days, and you're an expert on whether anyone will have an answer at all....

FWIW, my preferred SE varmint rig is a .221 Fireball, and I wouldn't stretch it to, or damned sure not much over, 200 on 'yotes.
I don't intend to hijack this thread so this will be my last comment.
I was just being a smartass.If I offended you or anyone else I sincerely apologize.
I have a 22 Hornet and being on a fixed income I use what I have.

Neil
The wonders of electronic communication.... sarcasm doesn't come through well at all.

Can understand the use of what is at hand. Load VERY good bullets (the 45 gr. Hornet XLCs would get a serious look, if it were me), and pick the shot carefully.

Fear not the hijack... it happens.
Sounds like you need a 17Fireball. A 20gr at 4000fps is pretty awesome. It will make a fox go to sleep and will flat dump a coyote out to 200yards. A 25 grain would be my preference for big song dogs. I load for both. If we get a yote on the hook, rounds get swapped. Inside 200yards with decent shoot placement a 17 is hard to beat if you are keeping the hides. Greys and coons are supposed to be really up this year. A little effort and you might be able to pay for most of that rifle this year.

Over the years I have tried about everything from 22mag to 22-250. They are pretty harsh on hides, or do not kill effectivly. The 17AH, 17Mach4 and a 17 Wildcat I have that pushes 25 at 4200fps have really proven themselves in the last 3 seasons.

The only problem with 17s, they are addicting. Do not buy into the bad press that the 17Rem got years ago. The new barrels, bullets and cleaning gear have taken all the bad stuff away.
If coyotes were the only thing on the menu with the occasional cat I would agree with the 223, 204 Ruger, 222 guys. Foxes and coyotes change the game. They are both on the xtreme ends of the scale.
Originally Posted by Blueprinted
Sounds like you need a 17Fireball. A 20gr at 4000fps is pretty awesome. It will make a fox go to sleep and will flat dump a coyote out to 200yards. A 25 grain would be my preference for big song dogs. I load for both. If we get a yote on the hook, rounds get swapped.

Do me a favor and try the 25gr Berger's. They are just about the ideal 17 bullet - not hard on fox/bobcat, easy on coyote out to way past calling distance.
Originally Posted by nmitchell
I have a 22 Hornet and being on a fixed income I use what I have.

Neil

Nobody's bashing you on a 22 Hornet. I don't use one so I really can't say anything. If I did use one most likely it would have a 10-12" barrel and not much would be applicable to you.
I totally agree with Grimel. 25 Berger or Hornady's for yotes. We have pushed a 20 to almost 200yards with good effects on smallish coyotes. I carry both for my Mach4 and 20s and 30s in my 17-222AI. 30 for when we are looking for coyotes 20 for foxes. I load for room for one more in the mag. Coyotes comes in, if time and set allows round gets ejected two shoved in the mag and bolt goes closed. A little practice this can be done real easy and dead silent. POI is the same to 200yards.
© 24hourcampfire